iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gonna Try Something...

Started by DanG, November 07, 2013, 11:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

I've been wanting to try this for a while now, and I'm finally going to do it today.  Yesterday, I bought a small corned beef brisket and I'm going to smoke it.  Now this may or may not be a common practice, but I've never heard of doing it.  I recently aquired one of those barrel-type smokers with the side firebox and haven't used it yet, so I may as well get two new things out of the way at once.  I plan to smoke the meat for 3 or 4 hours, then close it up and apply the little spice packet, and cook it for 3 or 4 more hours with medium-low heat.  I still haven't decided what wood to use.  I have on hand, pecan, oak, cherry, mulberry, peach, apple, sour orange, maple, and I would need a quick visit from WDH to determine what else might be growing here. ::) :D

So, my questions are: 1. Has anyone else tried this before and how did it turn out?  2. Which of the woods I listed would be appropriate for such a project?  3. Am I nuts, or an incredibly brilliant culinary innovator, or have I just been living under a rock?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Mooseherder

I love Smoked Brisket and Corned Beef Brisket isn't too far down the list of my favorites foods.  Hope it turns out good.  Usually a baked Corned Beef is much saltier than one that is simmered in water but that isn't necessarily a deal breaker.  If you find it is salty next time boil it for a half hour or so first before the smoker.  This cut if not tender just means it isn't cooked enough yet. :)
If I was closer you'd a had a visitor later.

fishpharmer

Sounds good to me. 8)

Brilliant, I say.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

DanG

It ain't too late Glenn.  I just lit the charcoal and plan on about 8 hours cooking time.  You could be here by then. I just may go in there and boil the thing for a little while, now that you mention it.  I've never done corned beef any way but boiling before and didn't think about the excess salt.  Thanx!

Got no response on the wood ? so I have oak and pecan standing by and there is a low hanging cherry branch about 50' from the grill.  Forgot to mention that I also have pear and grapevine available.  ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Burlkraft

DanG you are a culinary God!  :D

I smoke brisket all the time. It sounds like you have a good plan. I use hickory or mesquite usually.
Have at it and be sure we have some pics also

Why not just 1 pain free day?

Raider Bill

Heck your just making pastrami!

pecan
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

DanG

Really?  I love pastrami, so I shouldn't be disappointed.  I never thought about how it was made.  It ain't the first time I've invented something that has been around for centuries!  :D :D :D

DanG

Well I'll be DanG!! ;D  Not that I don't trust my buddy, Raider Bill, but I looked it up for verification.  Making pastrami is exactly what I am doing.  Who woulda thunk? :D

Raider Bill

;D :D ;) :) 8) :P ::) :christmas: smiley_tom_dizzyguy01 smiley_nananana smiley_contract_point smiley_daisy

Gary_C

I think Bill's response means that if you doubt him again, his dog is going to come and do something to your smoker.  :D :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

DanG

It has been a long long time since Bill has been able to say "I told ya so".  Glad I was able to help. ;D :D :new_year:

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Mooseherder

That Turkey Oak or is it Blackjack you have Dan sure has a sweet smell to it.  :)
I've never made pastrami before.   I thought that was just peppered corned beef.

moosehunter

My bride makes corned beef out of venison, so I guess it is corned venison really. I'll ask her to prepare one for the smoker. It sounds good! We usually cook it in the crock pot.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Raider Bill

Quote from: DanG on November 07, 2013, 03:10:59 PM
It has been a long long time since Bill has been able to say "I told ya so".  Glad I was able to help. ;D :D :new_year:

I was beginning to wonder if I was ever going to be able to say it again ;D

Quote from: Mooseherder on November 07, 2013, 03:15:53 PM
That Turkey Oak or is it Blackjack you have Dan sure has a sweet smell to it.  :)
I've never made pastrami before.   I thought that was just peppered corned beef.

Smoking  turns a corned beef into pastrami.

DanG

Water oak is what I have handy.  I also have some laurel oak growing but don't have any cut.  I need to find some turkey oak.  It doesn't grow up here on the hill but there is plenty of it a few miles south where the sandy coastal plain starts.  It is my favorite for cooking and heating.  I have a couple of pieces of water oak and a bunch of pecan on top of the coals and it is merrily smoking away. 8)

Mooseherder

My buddy from Perry had brought me quite A load of that Turkey oak a few years ago.  It was the best Oak I've ever used.  I'm hungry now.  The cooking part is half the fun and I'll try it soon. :)

Raider Bill

We have Turkey oak down here. Also my favorite oak for smoking.

DanG

Okeydokey, somebody aksed for pix and here they are.

The smoker:

The meat:

Finished(I think):

Inside:

NOT FINISHED! The flavor is excellent, but it just isn't done enough.  I decided not to wrap in foil for the last half of the cooking time, and that may have been a mistake.  It is now wrapped and in a 300 degree oven.

drobertson

All that's lacking is some fresh rye!  Looks real good,  I reckon I will be planning something for tonight now, this food topic has caused me to cook and eat more, ;D  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Raider Bill

DanG

Sure did look good, didn't it?  After sampling a couple of slices, I wrapped it in foil and put it in the oven for a while, which helped a little bit but it was still on the tough side.  I kinda overdid it with the pecan smoke too, so my technique needs some work. It was my first time cooking on that type of grill.  I had been wanting to try one of those and now I'm glad I waited until a freebie came along! 8) 8) :D  I'm also glad I chose the smallest brisket they had!

thecfarm

As I say,I have to do things twice to know how to do it the second time. Sometimes more than twice too.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

One thing I do is put some apple juice or left over black coffee in the foil. Each gives it a little different taste and keeps things juicy.

I like those offset smokers gives you a lot of control.

One thing I do with a offset is build up a hot bed of coals in the fire box then dump a good amount of smoking chips on the fire so you  are making a large amount of smoke and knocking down the heat. Now take a dinosaur steak or steaks and put it in the smoke chamber at the furthest point from the fire box,  pour the smoke to it as the smoke seals in the juice. Once you figure you've had enough smoke [everyone's taste is different] stir the firebox up and get it HOT. Sear each side of the steak directly on the wood fire till it has reached your desired inside temp. Take off fire and let it set 5 minutes then eat.

doctorb

Who is that other place set for? ;D ;D :)  Anybody I know?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Thank You Sponsors!