iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

We have a winners!    Sugar Scoop Contest

Started by CHARLIE, May 06, 2002, 12:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

OK, Woodman wanted an opportunity to win a sugar scoop, so here's the Sugar Scoop Contest. I decided to hold it myself so that even Jeff B can compete if he wants to.  There is only 1 scoop available and it is made from black cherry and has a food safe finish of mineral oil and bee's wax.

Rules:
A) Don't put answers on this thread.  
Send the answers to:  cadnhead@forestryforum.com
B) I, and I alone will determine whether or not your answer is correct. If your answer doesn't match mine, then you are wrong and there will be no arguing or discussion about who's right.  ;D
C) I may give partial credit if I want to.  ::)
D) 1 point per correct answer. Partial point if I decide to give partial credit. ???
E) You may only enter one time.
F) The contest ends on May 30th. 8)

Contest Questions
  1. What wood is the favorite for butchers' blocks?
  2. What native American wood is considered best for making arrows?
  3. What is the wood most preferred in the manufacture of artificial limbs for people?
  4. What wood is the most desirable for manufacturing of containers for liquids?
  5. What wood is the most satisfactory-and is used in large quantities for storage-battery  separators.
  6. How was the town of Flagstaff, Arizona, named, and what tree was involved?
  7. What tree has aerial roots?
  8. Which tropical American wood is it that, when the leaves are bruised, has a strong odor like that of garlic?
  9. What wood is used most for making manicure sticks?
10. What is the hardest, heaviest and closest-grained wood known?
11. What type of pine furnishes a figure similar to that seen in birds-eye maple and is sometimes referred to as bird's-eye pine?
12. What wood is generally used in the manufacture of toothpicks?
13. What spruce was first discovered on Pikes Peak?
14. What American wood is particularly suitable for food containers?
15. Nearly 80 percent of what wood is used in the manufacture of wooden tool handles?
16. What wood is used for making matches?
17. What state in the U.S. has the largest number of different kinds of trees?
18. Approximately how many crossties are required for a mile of railway tracks?
19. What southern tree of the U.S. has no heartwood until it is 18 years of age or over?
20. What is the whitest known wood and what is the blackest?
21. What is the wood from which practically all lead pencils are made?
22. What tree supplies us with quinine, used to treat malaria?
23. What tree provides us with strychnine?
24. What tree is stripped of its bark every ten years and continues to grow and thrive for 150 years or more?
25. How is the weight of teak logs reduced so that they will not sink in water?    
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

RavioliKid

Wow, Charlie!

I might know approximately 12% of the answers, so I'm not even going to try.

How much do you CHARGE for one of your sugar scoops? I think that's the only way I'll ever get one!

:-/
RavioliKid

Jeff

O.K.  Rav, I know your busy, so here is what i think you should do. Do you have 25 students in the class?  Assign em each a question. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Well, being the walking encyclopedia that I am, I will not win this sugar scoop from the hordes of other members.  Besides, somebody may think you are prejudiced, Charlie.

I will be sitting smuggly by.... ;D :P :P :P

Jeff

What that all means in Floridian is "I aint gotta clue" ;)

Tom

Sigh.......and I was flying so high!

RavioliKid

Thanks for the advice, Jeff!  :D

I can imagine the answers my 15 little artists would come up with for me!  ::)

RavioliKid

Kevin

I think we should just go to his house and take it.  :D

Nice work Charlie!

RavioliKid

Oops! I forgot I was supposed to send this directly to Charlie!
 :-[
RavioliKid

woodman

Black no sugar thankyou    :) :) :) ;)
Jim Cripanuk

CHARLIE

Over 114 lookers, 9 posters and Only 2 entries?  :'(  It ain't that difficult, especially with the internet at your fingers. I certainly learned a lot putting the questions together and also learned more when analyzing the answers on the 2 entries.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

Is it really O.K. if I enter? Just don't seem right some how if I was to win. Charlie We could send everybody an email in case they missed this. I think that some members only read certain areas of the board.  I also have noticed that some members simply look at the most recent posts. I guess they don't realize if they click that, it only lists the last 15 or 20.

If they had not been here for 2 or 3 days and those were busy days, they may have missed 200 important messages such as this.

(I just want you to know, that I had to correct this post. It typoed the word important. It first said impotent :o
)

Tom

I can't imagine anyone skipping out without looking at ALL the posts.  There is too much neat stuff and too many neat people around to ignore what they are saying.  I hope I don't get that busy that I can't go look at everything.  Hmmmm that could be downright un-neighborly, going to visit someone and not get out of the car. :D  Who'd do that?

CHARLIE

Heck yes Jeff! You can enter! :)  That's the main reason I went ahead and did the contest, so you could participate too. :P

Charlie

Gordon

Just to let you know charlie I'm working on it. About half way through it.  8) 8)

Hope I make the deadline
Gordon

RavioliKid

Hey, you guys are doing RESEARCH? :o

I just guessed!  :D (and, I got some of them right!)

8)
RavioliKid

Jeff

Gordon

rut ro I knew I forgot something. How you gettin out of here---backstroke.

Jeff I have not in any way shape or form forgotten about it. Just been procrastinatin.
Gordon

Kevin

Jeff

Yer dang tootin I researched. I spent 8 hours or less researching on Mothers Day to get mine done.

RavioliKid

Well, then Jeff, I guess you deserve the scoop!

I suppose I should go find a teaching ideas contest to enter...

RavioliKid

Jeff

Rav, did you notice what I said. 8 hours or LESS?

It was actually about 7.5 hours less then 8 :D

RavioliKid

RavioliKid

CHARLIE

Well, still a lot of lookers and only a few contestants. Ya know, when a person goes fishing, it ain't for the fish, it's for the experience. When a person goes huntin' it's for the experience not just to shoot something. Well......this contest is the same thing. You don't enter just for the prize, but for the fun of it. You might learn something you didn't know too. I know I have while correcting the entries. You see, I forgot all the common names and latin names that can be attached to the same tree. So I have to do a lot of checking to determine how much credit to give an answer. Thanks to all that have entered and I hope there are many more. :) :)
Charlie

Paul_H

I would like to have the scoop,Charlie.But the only thing I've ever been picked for, is a free tax audit  :-/

I'll get my kids to help.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Thank You Sponsors!