iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maine Loses Another Logger

Started by JDeere, April 20, 2011, 07:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDeere

Holden man dies after being caught between skidder, tree

ORRINGTON, Maine — A local woodcutter was killed Tuesday afternoon when he got caught between a skidder and a tree while working in the woods off Mason Hill Road, Assistant Fire Chief Scott Stewart said on Wednesday.

"The victim was pronounced dead at the scene," he said.

Holden resident William Jordan, 38, was working for local company Larry Eckert and Son, which had been hired to log the private land, Sgt. William Birch of the Penobscot County Sheriff's Office, who is leading the investigation, said Wednesday.

He described the incident as an "unfortunate accident."

First responders got the call for help at around 4:25 p.m. Tuesday, and Orrington Fire Department firefighters and rescue crews and Deputy Chad Young quickly determined Jordan was mortally wounded, Birch said.

"It came in as a chain saw accident," Stewart said, attributing the initial confusion about the nature of the incident to a miscommunication between groups of loggers that were working the land at the time.

A medical examiner and officials from the Maine Forest Service and Occupational Safety and Health Administration reviewed the scene Tuesday, and OSHA officials continued their investigation Wednesday, Birch said.

"I met with them this morning," he said. "They are still looking into it."

OSHA investigates all workplace deaths, the sergeant said.

The Holden Police Department notified Jordan's mother of his death Tuesday, he said.

Both Birch and Stewart said working in the woods is not an easy job.

"There is no such thing as a small accident when you are working in the woods, especially when you are working with that type of equipment," Birch said.

"Some professions are more dangerous than others and that certainly ranks up there," Stewart said.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

snowstorm

heard that on the news not that far from here. anybody know more than what was in the paper?    skidder roll back maybe?? for you guys running old 440 jd never trust the parking brake

rick f

I was wondering what happened as well. My prayers go out to his family.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Bobus2003

Quote from: snowstorm on April 20, 2011, 07:50:44 PM
heard that on the news not that far from here. anybody know more than what was in the paper?    skidder roll back maybe?? for you guys running old 440 jd never trust the parking brake

Mine has popped off a few times.. Lost it into the trees.. I now park against trees or rocks so the skidder cant move..

Prayers for his family

snowstorm

put the brake on then put it in park it aint going nowhere then....just take it out of park then the brake

Maine372

i heard the brought a logger out of the woods on a stretcher last week. rolled a skidder near jay. havent seen any press on it, just heard it through the grapevine.

i know guys are chasing wood where they can get it out this time of year so that puts us in some different situations. careful out there guys.

Bobus2003

Quote from: snowstorm on April 20, 2011, 08:50:11 PM
put the brake on then put it in park it aint going nowhere then....just take it out of park then the brake

Mine in park is like its in neutral...

donny hochstetler

so sad , gotta be tuff for the family , on another note ,never trust the parking brake on anything ,  it only takes one time

Magicman

It is so sad to loose another one of us.  My condolences to his family.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

That is too bad.
Maine372,Skidder did not roll over. Somehow it rolled over his leg. Article was in the Sun Journal.I forgot what day now.I saw the emergency ATV go by me. I figured something happened to a logger. Probaly 15 minutes from me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

The "Sun Journal" article stated that he was working alone in the woods and called 911 himself. Too dangerous!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

rick f

664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Autocar

Thats to bad, a fellow has to be on his toes the whole time on the job for sure.
Bill

bushmechanic

Very unfortunate maybe we need more brakes installed like Stephen Alford put on his C-5 Treefarmer.

JohnM

Wow, this happened two towns over from me and I never even heard about it.  I (strangely?) feel nearly as bad for his dog as I do his family.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

justincase

I took a clp felling course this week in Orono Maine and that accident involved a cutter and a skidder operator. Somehow I was told the operator got too close to the cutter while felling. I don't know the details but was certainly surprised. I assumed brake failure cutting alone.

thecfarm

This is the story of the logger in Jay. Tells exactly what happened,told by the guy that got hurt.

http://www.sunjournal.com/franklin/story/1022604

Makes more sense of how it  happened. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Thank You Sponsors!