iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM high performeance blade guides.

Started by petefrom bearswamp, July 22, 2012, 07:57:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Anyone out there have any input into this high maintenance option?
The pads when worn out are pretty expensive unless you have access to a machine shop who will machine them flat for you.
My neighbor who has an LT50 has removed his and sees no difference when sawing. He saws all species that we have here in central NY.
I just took mine off and will report back on this after sawing a while without the guides.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Chuck White

Pete; I took them off of the mill I got from you and installed the OEM blade guide rollers.

I sold them for about the same price as the replacements cost me, so both sides made a good deal.

I don't know for sure, but I think the new replacement bottom pads are made of the same kind of stuff as brake pads, so they should be cheaper than the ceramic inserts!

One advantage I now have on the mill is, I can now run the outer blade guide right over the clamp when the height is set at 1".  :)

I see absolutely no loss in cut quality or accuracy with the OEM blade guides.

It was explained to me by the guys at Hannibal, that the HP blade guides are more suited to mills with lots of horse-power.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Kansas

This is just what we have found.  I do not see much advantage of having bottom blade help. I will say with a resaw that you are sawing narrow stuff, its different. But on a sawmill? Either the blade cuts straight, or it does not. If it does not cut straight, identify the problems that are causing it. If a blade wants to dive, its gonna dive. Period. That has been our experience.

Chuck White

Thats a point that I figured out too Kansas!

Even with the HP blade guide rollers, you can still get wavy cuts!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

petefrom bearswamp

Oh Yeah can get wavy cuts with the guides.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

terrifictimbersllc

I was at the Wooden Boat Show in Mystic last month and saw the venerable WM rep sawing with a new diesel Super with no bottom guides and blade tension maxed out.  He said there was no need for the guides.   I would like to take mine off if it makes no difference but don't have the guts to do it.  It would eliminate the problem of stringy bark clogging the guide and yanking on the blade arm.   
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The way I look at it, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I have the HP guides on my mill. I run 28 hp. I've never had any problems.
I have bumped the clamp, but I don't anymore. I now pay attention.  ;D

So I guess my guides will stay where they are.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!