iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grit's Again

Started by Magicman, February 16, 2018, 07:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starmac

Taste does change over time.  It seems like I do not like some stuff that I did at one time, spam comes to mind.
I know I try to eat at mcdonalds at least every 4 or 5 years, to see if my taste has changed, tried again last week, it just reminded me why I do not eat there.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Paul_H

DonP,

I read about Pellagra recently too when I was trying to make tortillas with the corn I grew last year. I read a little further and found that wood ash will nixtamalize the dried corn. I add a couple cups of wood ash from the woodstove to a gallon and a half of water and boil it awhile then let steep a few days before pouring off the lye water into jars.
I add a couple cups of corn to a pot and cover with lye water,boil a half hour and let it sit a day or two then wash and rinse well and run the corn through a grinder twice. We liked the results enough to go and buy a good press and eat them regularly now.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

SawyerTed

Hominy grits and regular grits both start with corn/maize.  Hominy grits go through the process Paul H describes prior to grinding.

Regular grits are ground white or yellow corn/cornmeal.  Cornmeal for cornbread is finer ground than grits. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Texas Ranger

Saw Jeff's use of grits, he should be arrested for grit's abuse! 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

So there is grits police that dictate how you can use them? So I suppose it's wrong to use them to help remove coffee tea and blueberry stains as well?

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

starmac

Quote from: SawyerTed on March 07, 2018, 02:29:01 PM
Hominy grits and regular grits both start with corn/maize.  Hominy grits go through the process Paul H describes prior to grinding.

Regular grits are ground white or yellow corn/cornmeal.  Cornmeal for cornbread is finer ground than grits.
Oh, I know where hominy comes from and how it gets there, but it is still hominy, and I always thought all grits were made from hominy, I have never even seen yellow grits in real life.
I also understand the grinding, if compared to a rock crusher and sand or gravel, grits would be called reject material.lol

SawyerTed

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

starmac

Sure, after you mentioned perminter cheese, YECH, even potted meat has that stuff beat. 

petefrom bearswamp

Trying a new wrinkle
This mornings breakfast
Grits made with 1/2 chicken broth I made last night and 1/2 water, Parmesan cheese and topped with 2 sunnyside up eggs sprinkled with a locally produced cajun spice..
VERY filling.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Yum Yum, You will be very Welcome here.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

That's a great looking breakfast!  

How were the grits with chicken broth? 

Jeff

I may give that an honest try. That is how I cook rice, in broth.

Magicman

Now is that sorta admitting that the other "try" was a bit "dishonest"?   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Nooooo.... I never mentioned any other incidents. You mean like brushing my teeth with them and the yet to be mentioned getting my tractor unstuck off of glare ice? All legitimate good honest tries at usage.  I'm thinking it might even be worthwhile to try and use some for oil dry.

starmac

I bet it will work, shoot pretty sure oil dry will work for grits.

I know, but I had to.

SawyerTed

Y'all are overlooking the best alternative use of grits.  Mixed with some sugar, water and yeast and allowed to sit unmolested for a couple of weeks, grits will produce a large volume of neutral spirts when distilled!

petefrom bearswamp

Ted they tasted good but I made to much and ate it all.
Was uncomfortable for about an hr.
Do you have a still?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

SawyerTed

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on March 09, 2018, 04:59:53 PM
Ted they tasted good but I made to much and ate it all.
Was uncomfortable for about an hr.
Do you have a still?
Grits are like rice - eat too many and you feel like a blimp for a while! :D
As far as a still, um no?   ;)

thecfarm

No yum yum here,but you are welcome here. Just don't put them things on my plate.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Pete, you keep this up and you will be a keeper.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

I'm kinda surprised Jeff hasn't tried cornblasting the rims on the MR truck :D

JohnW

Some of the posts here give the impression that you have to be from the South to appreciate grits.  I was in Michigan this last week and found that one of the Milan restaurants serves grits.  So I guess there are people up north who eat grits.

starmac

I was laughing about this thread while talking to my daughter yesterday, and she said some of the best grits she ever had was in New York City, apparently they had cheese and jalopenas in them.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Jeff on March 09, 2018, 02:22:32 PM
Nooooo.... I never mentioned any other incidents. You mean like brushing my teeth with them and the yet to be mentioned getting my tractor unstuck off of glare ice? All legitimate good honest tries at usage.  I'm thinking it might even be worthwhile to try and use some for oil dry.
Reminds me of the snake oil medicine salesman on "The Outlaw Josie Wales" selling his bottles of elixir to cure everything and the old Cherokee "Chief" telling him "You drink it." I wonder how grits do on stains? :D

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

luvmexfood

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 10, 2018, 08:23:20 AM
Quote from: Jeff on March 09, 2018, 02:22:32 PM
Nooooo.... I never mentioned any other incidents. You mean like brushing my teeth with them and the yet to be mentioned getting my tractor unstuck off of glare ice? All legitimate good honest tries at usage.  I'm thinking it might even be worthwhile to try and use some for oil dry.
Reminds me of the snake oil medicine salesman on "The Outlaw Josie Wales" selling his bottles of elixir to cure everything and the old Cherokee "Chief" telling him "You drink it." I wonder how grits do on stains? :D

Love that movie when he sends the soldiers on a "Missouri Boat Ride".
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!