AVAILABLE

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Cord of wood on a 1\2 ton  (Read 10015 times)

Offline rank

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Cord of wood on a 1\2 ton
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2018, 07:22:43 PM »
Caveat Emptor ;D ;) :)

What a novel idea :D ;)
exactly.  The only thing this thread has established is that nobody knows what a cord is.  If the buyer is happy paying $150 for that pickup load, it doesnít matter

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2018, 08:15:48 PM »
A cord either way
But there isnít the same amount of wood in each is there.  Like the fellow mentioned above, a bush cord of 24Ē dia logs might not stack the same when split but itís still a cord
every cord of block wood i ever cut always split out more than a cord not much but more

Offline Kwill

• Cedar cutter
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2018, 08:21:07 PM »
From the sounds of things I think some of these guys take a tape measure and micrometer to the wood with them when they cut wood
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
In the process of building my sawmill

Offline DR_Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Nuff said.....
    • Share Post
    • Got Logs?
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2018, 08:35:12 PM »
Under the heading of Truck Abuse . . .

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

This looks like some of the guys we've seen on I-66 hauling firewood into the Metro DC area.   Not a day went by that we didn't see 2 to 3 firewood or tree service guys way overloaded driving 65 mph in 4 and 5 lane bumper-to-bumper traffic.    I'm so glad we retired and moved out of that mess.
Hidden Acres Farm
Been there, done that.   Never got caught

Wood-Mizer LT40HDG38
Lucas Dedicated 60" Slabber

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2018, 08:57:19 PM »
From the sounds of things I think some of these guys take a tape measure and micrometer to the wood with them when they cut wood
:D my cousin has a guy that makes him pile every cord he brings he has his wall in the wood shed marked  but anyway the other day i went to help pile it when we where done there was about 15-20 pieces left on the truck and the guy goes aren't you going to put them in the  pile matt said no you want a cord and you make me pile it every time to make shur you don't get short changed  so I'm taking them home i don't want to get short changed the guy told him here is your money don't come back ill find some one else to get wood from  :D :D  the nerve of some people

Offline Kwill

• Cedar cutter
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2018, 09:20:57 PM »
:D my cousin has a guy that makes him pile every cord he brings he has his wall in the wood shed marked  but anyway the other day i went to help pile it when we where done there was about 15-20 pieces left on the truck and the guy goes aren't you going to put them in the  pile matt said no you want a cord and you make me pile it every time to make shur you don't get short changed  so I'm taking them home i don't want to get short changed the guy told him here is your money don't come back ill find some one else to get wood from  :D :D  the nerve of some people
I would thrown the money back at him and loaded the wood up and left
Built my own log arch

Offline Logger RK

• Share Post
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2018, 10:01:17 PM »
And there was a little Whiskey & Rye involved

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2018, 08:24:03 AM »
A cord of wood to most people is really only a face cord or rick.
The First 60 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline bodagocreek2

• Share Post
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2018, 10:16:58 AM »
second what Coxy said, almost always more when split

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2018, 06:38:33 PM »
That hasn't been my experience.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2018, 08:12:25 PM »

That's been my experience as well. (assuming you are talking about 16" long rounds vs 16" long split wood.) The air spaces may be bigger between the rounds, but there are a lot more of them when it's split. As a friend of mine once said: I can't stack 'em as tight as nature did.

The smallest difference is when I am splitting a cord of some nice straight logs with nice straight grain - like white ash. When I split and stack that, it comes out fairly close to the dimensions of the stack I had before splitting (If I stack very carefully - which I don't usually do.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2018, 05:13:43 AM »
That hasn't been my experience.

I've always found it goes either way, by at least a heavy wheel barrow load. And the wheel barrel I use holds a lot of wood. The loads of split wood I have bought come loose thrown from a processor. Unless one is always deliberately over throwing the load, which I doubt very much, it varies from one side of the cord to the other. But then, if you charge enough being over a little now and again covers the loss. There's no one giving freebies, and I don't blame them. If it makes the customer feel good the day goes much better and great for advertising. ;D

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2018, 05:20:59 AM »

That's been my experience as well. (assuming you are talking about 16" long rounds vs 16" long split wood.) The air spaces may be bigger between the rounds, but there are a lot more of them when it's split. As a friend of mine once said: I can't stack 'em as tight as nature did.

The smallest difference is when I am splitting a cord of some nice straight logs with nice straight grain - like white ash. When I split and stack that, it comes out fairly close to the dimensions of the stack I had before splitting (If I stack very carefully - which I don't usually do.)

You have not bought 8' and treelength firewood logs then. ;D  DNR always scaled these piles roadside averaging depth and length, as I suspect many do. The loader on the truck always tries to stack the load as tight as he can going to a mill, to get the maximum tonnage per load. Stacked a lot nicer than sitting roadside in a pile.  ;D

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry

Offline Pclem

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2018, 08:15:51 AM »
I assume you guys are cutting your 8' logs into 16" rounds, stacking them into 4'x8' piles, then splitting them and having no loss, [or more wood]. What was that 4x8 pile of rounds before you cut and stacked it? [In log form].  I've always kept track of the semi loads we pay for. I have to know what kind of profit I'm making off those logs after it's all said and done. I would be shocked if you said you bought a 12 cord load of logs and still had 12 cords of split, DRY firewood in the end. We notice alot of shrinkage in a few days drying in kilns. Like I said, we always end up with close to 20% loss in the end due to shrinkage, short ends, that knarly knot you can't split down, so it goes in the boiler pile....This is all nice wood cut 16" for fireplaces, and packaged wood. Maybe you'd throw in the short ends, and knarls for furnace wood and have less waste. I know if I'm buying a semi load to heat my home, I'm burning all of it. But if I'm selling that load to fireplace users, I'd better keep the non-sellable junk myself and keep my customers :)
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

Online Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2018, 08:52:19 AM »
  I average 50 16" face cords per 20 pulp cord train load of hardwood pulp.  That's average.  If I get less than 47 I'm not real happy.  Less than 45 I call my supplier and let him know ;) ;D  100" saw bolts process the best.  Twenty cords of them will make better than 55 face cords.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2018, 11:53:07 AM »

You have not bought 8' and treelength firewood logs then. ;D  DNR always scaled these piles roadside averaging depth and length, as I suspect many do. The loader on the truck always tries to stack the load as tight as he can going to a mill, to get the maximum tonnage per load. Stacked a lot nicer than sitting roadside in a pile.  ;D

As I said, "assuming you are talking about 16" long rounds vs 16" long split wood" -- basically, wood that is ready to go to the splitter, vs wood that has just been split. I would certainly agree that comparing 8' logs to split 16" lengths, the split 16" will almost always stack more densely (and significantly so). I suppose if you are buying perfect "telephone pole" logs it might be different, but if you have logs like that, I have to wonder why you are splitting them up for firewood.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Online moodnacreek

• Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2018, 01:01:37 PM »
A cord of cut and split fire wood is 66% wood and the rest air. Customers will sometimes fill in all the spaces and say it's short.  Also it's a rough measurement and will run over and under but not much.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2018, 01:51:27 PM »
A cord of cut and split fire wood is 66% wood and the rest air. Customers will sometimes fill in all the spaces and say it's short.  Also it's a rough measurement and will run over and under but not much.

THat matches pretty well with the old rule of thumb that a cord of firewood contains about 85 cubic feet of actual wood (with the rest being air): 85/128 = 66%

Offline Kwill

• Cedar cutter
    • Share Post
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2018, 02:47:46 PM »
True cord wood which is round and cut in 4ft lengths stacked 4ft high and 8 ft long should be cheaper priced than a cord of split wood cut 16 inch and stacked the same 4x4x8.
Built my own log arch

Offline Kwill

• Cedar cutter
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2018, 02:49:17 PM »

THat matches pretty well with the old rule of thumb that a cord of firewood contains about 85 cubic feet of actual wood (with the rest being air): 85/128 = 66%
that would depend on who stacked it.
Built my own log arch

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
how many mbf in a cord of wood?? (oak)

Started by a old timberjack on Forestry and Logging

51 Replies
Last post April 26, 2016, 12:20:42 PM
by NWP
xx
Drying of Cord Wood

Started by Tombstone on Drying and Processing

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 04:14:14 AM
by thecfarm