iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Loading Arch out of timbers.

Started by firefighter ontheside, July 18, 2018, 09:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

Has anyone builtor seen one built out of timbers instead of steel.  I feel like I could mill some yellow pine 4x4's and put together a V shaped loader.  I would make it fairly tall(8feet) to avoid having to lower it down so far.  I would possibly even hang a chain hoist from it so I could raise or lower the log independent of the winch that's pulling on the loader.  I'm a woodworker/carpenter and not a metal worker, so I'm just thinking of something I can build and not have someone else weld it for me, plus I can cut timbers, but I'd have to buy steel.  Thanks for any input.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

I've got most of a plan worked out.  I bought bolts and just milled some yellow pine 5x5's so I'm gonna go out it together.  Hopefully pics later.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

I have more work to do, but I have the arch together and had it on the trailer.  I'm just gonna use load straps to hang the chain hoist.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Firewoodjoe

Why not. Back in the old days of cutting with cross cut and horses they used big wood cranes and yarder towers.

711ac

firefighter ontheside

This was proof of concept, but my little 1 ton winch didn't have the guts to do the job.  So, tomorrow I will go get a bigger winch, instead of going to get logs on the trailer.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ljohnsaw

If you put a snatch block on the arch you would have doubled your winch power.  Might even need to do that with your new winch depending on what you spend.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

firefighter ontheside

I talked about a pulley, but if I do that I lose half of the length of my cable which is only about 30 feet on my little winch.  The cable wouldn't be long enough.  I'm planning to pick up a harbor freight 9000 winch tomorrow.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ljohnsaw

IF the measurements work out, you extend your cable all the way and have a little (5-10'?) past the snatch block.  Then use more cable or chain to come back towards the winch.  You need the most lifting power at the beginning and the snatch block will give you double.  If the winch hook starts to catch when the arch is at the top, that's ok since you don't need much power at that point.  Make sense?  Also, the less wire rope on the winch spool, the better.  The winch rating will give you a table that says the winch is good for the rated amount for the first wrap layer.  Then it drops off considerably for each additional layer of wire rope.  My cheapo HF 1,500# winch dropped down to less than 800# when it has 3 layers.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

firefighter ontheside

Thanks John.  I'm pretty well familiar with mechanical advantage systems.  We have to know how to build all kinds with rope and pulleys and other hardware on the FEMAtask Force I'm on.  

I'm gonna go ahead and get the 9000 so I don't have to deal with more setup.  I'm trying to save time when I'm picking up logs on site.  I'd really like to be able to load a 20' log in one fell swoop instead of cutting it in sections.  At home I can use my tractor to move stuff around.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ljohnsaw

OK, good.  Meant no disrespect to your knowledge.  I didn't know your background.  A 20' oak is going to be mighty heavy!!!
John Sawicky

firefighter ontheside

None taken John.  Thanks for your suggestions.
PS....I've been following your build.  Hope you're safe from fires.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

I decided to get the 5000 lb winch and not the 9000.  I'm glad I did, because I saved myself about $100 and it worked perfectly today.  I loaded a silver maple log that was about 13' long and 24" diameter.  Didn't even slow the winch down.  Here's a video of loading a smaller elm log.
https://youtu.be/Rkp9_STWaYg
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Crusarius

are you just grabbing the log on the frame then using the winch to pull the frame?

Doesn't the frame slam to the bed like that?

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Ljohnsaw

That went nice and quick.  What winch did you end up getting?  From HF?
John Sawicky

firefighter ontheside

Crusarius, yes that's what I'm doing.  On small logs that can happen.  I only pick up one end of any log so that the other end drags, but the small logs don't have enough friction to slow it down.  On those, I stop the A frame at vertical and then just drag the log the rest of the way with the winch.  
On large logs there is enough friction that the winch has to pull the frame down.  Definitely don't want the frame slamming down.  Might even make some kind of support that stops the frame at about 45 deg.

John, I got the 5000 lbs winch.  It was on sale for 179 I believe and with a coupon I paid about 145.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Crusarius

ok here is an idea that may be hard to explain. Put a set of legs off the back side of the frame. but instead of making them rigid to the frame connect them using something that acts like a hinge. then get a pair of gas charged shocks to connect to the frame and the end of the leg. Cheapest Monroe ones you can get. then as it cams over the leg will make contact with the trailer then start to compress the shock and slow the fall. The leg setup should look like a triangle when your done.

wammo. Fix to camming over and slamming the deck. Just make sure if you want to lay it down flat again you have some type of quick release. Or you need to figure the geometry out to make it lay flat.

and when you figure it out I want pics and measurements :) save me the time of engineering it. :)

After thought, you may need more than 1 shock but I would start with 1 per side.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on August 02, 2018, 11:20:30 AMMight even make some kind of support that stops the frame at about 45 deg. John, I got the 5000 lbs winch. It was on sale for 179 I believe and with a coupon I paid about 145.

Great price.  My old Propane log arch had an ancient winch on it.  Slow and kind of strong.  Might have to upgrade to this one.  Let us know how well it keeps performing, or not.  Does it have a free spool so its easy to let out?  Mine doesn't. :-\

I forget who, but they used a chain on both sides.  Leave enough slack to stop the arch at about 45 degrees both over the trailer and over the tail.  Maybe a little higher over the trailer.  He had the winch cable running free through a snatch block on the arch.  He would let out his line to retrieve the log (if he couldn't back up to it all the way) and chain/choke the log.  Then, retrieve and when the hook hit the snatch block, the arch would raise - never had to stop and re-hook between the retrieve and the lift.
John Sawicky

firefighter ontheside

Interesting idea Crusarius.  I'll see if that's a possibility.  I'm afraid the legs will land right on my fenders.  I'm not sure if that will be a good thing.  They are fairly strong, but I don't want to smash them.  

Johns idea with the chains could work too.  Could attach a spring and also cushion the landing if it falls.

The HF winch seems we'll made and does have free spool option that is nice for resetting everything.  After a while I could feel that cable was warm as I pulled it out telling me the winch was heating up.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Jack S

One thing about the harbor  freight winches that I checked out and I have the 3500 unit is they only have a 15% duty cycle at full load which translates to only 9 minutes of hard use per hour. Mine seems to work great but I do keep a check on the motor temperature. 

firefighter ontheside

Thanks Jack.  I read that too.  I think that'll be fine for me as I will usually only be picking up one or two logs at a time.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

mike_belben

Keep the freewheel/disengage lever lubed.  Underneath it is a spring and detent ball.  If it rusts, no detent.  So when the winch jumps out of engage under load a chunk breaks off into the planetary.

Tractor trailer repair shops throw out 11" airbags that still work pretty often.  Not much that they wont cushion.
Praise The Lord

John Mc

Looks like the DanG Deadheader loglifter - except yours is made out of wood. Search on that term here and you'll find some pictures of them in use. One of them used check chains tied to the rear of the trailer to keep the arch from flopping all the way over. Quick, simple, cheap.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Crusarius

yea. you definitely do not want to use the fenders. It may be ok the first couple, but eventually they will start to deform.

If I didn't have so many other projects going on I would be rigging something up just like I explained. I have had plenty of times I have used a hi lift and my 5x8 trailer picking up logs that were offered to me.

I still have 24' long trunk that is about 22" diameter of black walnut I need to go rescue from my buddies driveway. Thats going to be fun to load on the trailer. especially by hand.

firefighter ontheside

I'll check out the DanG.

Crusarius, I wouldn't load that 24' log in that 5x8 trailer.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Crusarius

yea, definitely not. planning on 3 pieces.

WV Sawmiller

Cru,

I have a 5X8 trailer and have loaded 8-10 ft logs like you describe by hooking a cable around one end of the log, hook a snatch block to the front of the trailer in a secure spot, run the cable through the block and secure the other end to a tree or stump (a heavy piece of equipment would work if that is all that is handy) behind the logs, leave the tailgate down and slowly drive forward and the logs will slide right in to the trailer. Be sure to stop as soon it reaches the end of the trailer or you will bend something (Don't ask me how I know that). If you have a helper he can help roll the log from side to side to make sure it doesn't hang on the lip of the trailer and make sure you don't try to pull too far.

Cutting off and using a straight limb or two for rollers will help too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crusarius

That is exactly how I did it on the last log I loaded. it was actually easier because it was the 2nd layer on the trailer. Wood slides better on wood than on the angle iron edge

elite64a

Quote from: Crusarius on August 02, 2018, 07:45:48 AM
are you just grabbing the log on the frame then using the winch to pull the frame?

Doesn't the frame slam to the bed like that?
You would think so but the weight of the log you're pulling keeps the arch from slamming into the trailers floor.

firefighter ontheside

Right.  I never want to lift the whole log, just one end.  Though even the smaller diameter logs will fall down from the weight of the A frame.  On the small logs I will lower the log to the bed with the chain hoist and slide the log directly with the winch.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

mad murdock

That right there is an awesome build and great proof of concept! Thanks for sharing. I feel my days of handyman jacking and wrestling by hand may be soon coming to a close. The other day I loaded 1110 bd ft in 2 redwood logs a 16' and a 20'. That was a lot of work for one guy. An arch like yours would have made it a cakewalk!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

bobborneman

How did you attach the legs to the tralier?

firefighter ontheside

Thanks Murdock.  I plan to load a couple 20 foot logs soon, one of them being 24" diameter.  I'll let you know how that goes.

The A frame is attached to the trailer with 4x4s that I notched to fit into stake pockets.  A 7/8" bolt is the hinge pin.  I will eventually be fabricating a steel piece to take the place of the wood in the stake pocket.  I feel that piece is my weak link.  For now it is working fine.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

burtle

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on August 12, 2018, 11:11:16 PM
Thanks Murdock.  I plan to load a couple 20 foot logs soon, one of them being 24" diameter.  I'll let you know how that goes.

The A frame is attached to the trailer with 4x4s that I notched to fit into stake pockets.  A 7/8" bolt is the hinge pin.  I will eventually be fabricating a steel piece to take the place of the wood in the stake pocket.  I feel that piece is my weak link.  For now it is working fine.

When you get some time will you post close pictures of how you attached it to the trailer please ?

Thanks
Never Give Up

firefighter ontheside

I made these out of some pieces of 6x6 that I had so that they would fit tight in the stake pocket.  I am going to replace with some sort of steel piece in the future.  The steel piece will be very similar, but I won't leave all the extra thickness above the pocket.  My bolts are kind of short as it is.  There is a 7/8 bolt as the hinge pin going thru the leg.  

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

John Mc

Here's a photo sequence of DanG's log lifter in use. You can also see the check chains he uses to keep the arch from flopping too far down out of the trailer. There are some helpful other comments elsewhere in this same thread. Somewhere here on FF I saw a photo of someone who had put the hinge of the arch a foot or so forward of the back of the trailer, and used check chains attached to the rear of the trailer to keep the arch from flopping all the way down into the trailer (unfortunately, I can't find that now).

Here is another thread with info on a log lifter made by @getoverit using design ideas from @DanG and @Fla._Deadheader .  If you scroll down a bit, you can see details of his hinge design, which drops into stake pockets on the rear edge of his trailer.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

firefighter ontheside

Thanks John.  I've already planned to use chains hooked to the farthest back stake pockets.  I put my loader on the second set from the back.  I will check out the video.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

John Mc

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on August 15, 2018, 01:03:09 PM
Thanks John.  I've already planned to use chains hooked to the farthest back stake pockets.  I put my loader on the second set from the back.  I will check out the video.
I never did find the video, just some photos. Let me know if you come across it. If you don't find one, please consider posting one of yours in action. I've tried to describe this to some folks I cut firewood with, and my description leaves a bit to be desired.

burtle

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on August 15, 2018, 07:59:30 AM
I made these out of some pieces of 6x6 that I had so that they would fit tight in the stake pocket.  I am going to replace with some sort of steel piece in the future.  The steel piece will be very similar, but I won't leave all the extra thickness above the pocket.  My bolts are kind of short as it is.  There is a 7/8 bolt as the hinge pin going thru the leg.  

Thanks a lot!

I'll probably end up sending you a message for more information

I'm having some red elm milled soon.

I'm leaning towards having (2) 5x5's milled out of one of the logs to build this arch.

A local welding shop wants over 300.00 to weld an arch.

This route would be MUCH cheaper.
Never Give Up

firefighter ontheside

I made a short video, but unfortunately it has my license plate number in it and I don't think I should post that.  Next time I do it I'll make a better video.

I'd be happy to help you in any way I can, Burtle.  I was the same as you.  I didn't want to pay a bunch of money for steel.  I have a firefighter that works for me who is a very good welder and so I wouldn't have had to,pay for that, but still.  The timbers were free.  I paid 150 for the winch and a few bucks for some bolts.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

John Mc

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on August 15, 2018, 09:01:05 PMI made a short video, but unfortunately it has my license plate number in it and I don't think I should post that. Next time I do it I'll make a better video.

I've always wondered what the big deal is about showing a license pate in a photo or video. What is someone going to do with that info anyway? It's not like it's your SS# or something. If it were a significant risk, it would also be a risk just driving around where someone could see it in real life. Am I missing something?

firefighter ontheside

It's not a big deal.  As you say we drive around with it.  As I now remember, I did post the video in this thread many posts back.  Most of us also don't use our whole name on this site.  Why not?  Presumably we feel there is some risk of security to do so.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

John Mc

Didn't mean to come across as jumping on you about it. It's something I've often wondered about. It's one thing if the video was showing something that might expose the owner to attacks or ridicule, but most of the time, that's not the case.

Some of our area elementary schools have discouraged putting kids names on their sports uniforms. While I think that's not likely to have any measurable effect in deterring child predators, I can at least understand the thought process behind it. The license plate thing, not so much.

firefighter ontheside

I knew you didn't.  It's all good.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

charles mann

Quote from: Crusarius on August 02, 2018, 11:26:58 AM
ok here is an idea that may be hard to explain. Put a set of legs off the back side of the frame. but instead of making them rigid to the frame connect them using something that acts like a hinge. then get a pair of gas charged shocks to connect to the frame and the end of the leg. Cheapest Monroe ones you can get. then as it cams over the leg will make contact with the trailer then start to compress the shock and slow the fall. The leg setup should look like a triangle when your done.

wammo. Fix to camming over and slamming the deck. Just make sure if you want to lay it down flat again you have some type of quick release. Or you need to figure the geometry out to make it lay flat.

and when you figure it out I want pics and measurements :) save me the time of engineering it. :)

After thought, you may need more than 1 shock but I would start with 1 per side.
iv been looking at find a way to prevent my arch from going so far back and not being able to get it back vertical. I initially was going to use cable and secure it to the trailer and arch in both directions so it would only go about 25 degrees either direction beyond vertical. But i like your idea of the shocks and a hinged strut. you sir have given me an outstanding starting point. 

it wasn't bad when i first built it, i could pick it up from the trailer deck, clinch it above my head, walk to a side and keep pushing till it snatched against the winch cable. after i made my first lift on a 3500# oak log, it got a lil stiff, so the wife had to help walk it up, but i noticed it took on a different shape after making my test lifts, and even left the log suspended about 3" off my trailer deck, 1. to check the brake on the winch and 2. to test the integrity of the welds. i would much rather it brake at home, than in the woods, many hours away from my house I took some 1/2" x 6" wide flat plate and samiched the tubing between 1" of steel and burned the rods to it. i had to do a lil heat torsion treatment to get to move after reinforcing it.

my sec lift was when i went to get a 60+" pecan log and branch section. i had to much rope on my drum and the 12k winch wouldn't pull the 9' log, and i snatched it and dragged it close enough for my arch to be able to grab hold. i went back to single line, and again, winch said NO, so snatched it again, and i thought my arch was gonna bust welds. after getting it both the log and branch section loaded, i noticed that the 10,000# WLL weld on D-ring looked more like and arrow point, not a loop. i just welded a 15,000#WLL ring on, and didn't have anymore stretching. i have an 18,000# warn industrial winch that got reallocated off an MRAP from iraq that got destroyed and the winch was in the junk pile. i sent it home johnny cash style, 1 piece at a time, only bc it was to heavy (150# with rope and fairleads) to ship completed, and i didn't want to stick it in a conex and see it about 4 months later. I think I'm going to install it on my gooseneck with arch, and put that 12k on my 12k bumper pull. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

charles mann

what do you think its rated lift capability is? iv had probably 6000# on mine, which is all steel, 2"x2" x 1/4" wall, around 12' tall/long and boy does it squeal like a pig with a dog on its ear lifting that much weight. 
Temple, Tx

Stuart Caruk

I admire the creativity of people who can cobble together what they need to get the job at hand completed. Awesome job!
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Crusarius

Quote from: charles mann on August 22, 2018, 01:50:53 AMiv been looking at find a way to prevent my arch from going so far back and not being able to get it back vertical. I initially was going to use cable and secure it to the trailer and arch in both directions so it would only go about 25 degrees either direction beyond vertical. But i like your idea of the shocks and a hinged strut. you sir have given me an outstanding starting point. 

Glad I could help. Definitely need build pictures though. You can help me just as much as I try to help everyone :)

firefighter ontheside

I have no clue what the weight capacity of this thing is.  The 5x5 timbers should handle many thousands of pounds, but there's lots of other unrated pieces in my system.  My chain hoist is 2 tons.  I won't try anything more than about 1500 lbs.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Crusarius

Just make sure you have an escape path!!!!

Not saying it is going to fail but you never know.

firefighter ontheside

Yeah, my winch control cable is about 15 feet long and I make sure to stand perpendicular to the direction of pull.  My 26 years as a firefighter has taught me many things.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Crusarius

I have 15 years volunteer fire service. bunch of those were on the high angle rope rescue team and the dive team. Plus I have been four wheeling my jeep since 1998. 

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: Crusarius on August 22, 2018, 10:14:21 AM
I have 15 years volunteer fire service. bunch of those were on the high angle rope rescue team and the dive team. Plus I have been four wheeling my jeep since 1998.
Nice.  I'm also on Missouri Task Force 1 where I'm a rescue specialist.  I'm certified in Confined Space, Trench, Rope Rescue, Structural Collapse, Swift Water.  Several member of our team just deployed to Hawaii in front of the hurricane coming.  Diving is something I've never been interested in though.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

firefighter ontheside

What's the matter?  Why are you waving the white flag?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

mike_belben

Maybe i misinterpreted the tone.. Seemed to me like you guys were doing some measuring up there.  On some less civilized forums i frequent, thats the stage before insults are hurled forth.  

I shoulda thrown in a smiley or two

:laugh:  
Praise The Lord

Crusarius

I learned never to compare. especially on open forums. Just nice to know others skillsets.

John Mc

Quote from: mike_belben on August 23, 2018, 09:16:32 AM
Maybe i misinterpreted the tone.. Seemed to me like you guys were doing some measuring up there.  On some less civilized forums i frequent, thats the stage before insults are hurled forth.  

I shoulda thrown in a smiley or two

:laugh:  
That crap doesn't happen here. If it did, the admins would step in. This is exactly the reason many of us are here.

Magicman

I am very interested in learning about other member's skills/training/expertise in fields beyond our "wood" interest. 

As John Mc just mentioned, thanks to Jeff, there will never be any harshness here on the FF.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

I certainly meant for my tone to be light.  Being a firefighter, I like to hear about other firefighters sharing my other interests.  Not too many at the dire department do. :)
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

charles mann

Quote from: Crusarius on August 22, 2018, 07:56:50 AM
Quote from: charles mann on August 22, 2018, 01:50:53 AMiv been looking at find a way to prevent my arch from going so far back and not being able to get it back vertical. I initially was going to use cable and secure it to the trailer and arch in both directions so it would only go about 25 degrees either direction beyond vertical. But i like your idea of the shocks and a hinged strut. you sir have given me an outstanding starting point.

Glad I could help. Definitely need build pictures though. You can help me just as much as I try to help everyone :)
WHEN I GET HOME, ILL GET SOME PICS OF THE ARCH, AND THEN GET SOME OF IT IN ACTION. GONNA HAVE TO RESEARCH ON HERE AND FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST PICS. I'LL JUST READ THE TOPIC FOR POSTING PICS. HOPEFULLY ITS COMPATIBLE WITH MAC AND APPLE PRODUCTS. PLUS IM TECHNOLOGICALLY CHALLENGED, SO IT MAY TAKE A BIT TO CIPHER IT OUT.
Temple, Tx

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

charles mann

Quote from: mike_belben on August 24, 2018, 09:17:59 AM
Caps lock.  You has it down.

;D
I was entering data on my time card and forgot to take it off. Plus i suck at typing and finding the shift key for the begining letter of every sentence take longer than to either go all caps or all lower. 
But i wasnt yelling with my all caps statement. 
Temple, Tx

charles mann

Quote from: Crusarius on August 22, 2018, 07:56:50 AM

Glad I could help. Definitely need build pictures though. You can help me just as much as I try to help everyone :)
here are a few pics of my arch system. 

last pic is the first test lift of the arch. that was after holding it over night, to see if for 1. my welds holds and 2. the winch braking system held. that red oak is a few lbs under 3000#. without my 700# grading blade on the back of my tractor, i can't lift the log, but even with the blade, my tractor comes very lite on the rear wheels, enough that i have to use 4x4 to move around. 
here is a pecan i just picked up from nachitochez, la. 

661 with a 36" bar

and here is pecan from down near houston, tx way
my wife is 5'8" tall

here is the D-Ring after lifting that houston pecan, along with a new ring for comparison of the stretching that it under went. 

Temple, Tx

firefighter ontheside

If you're gonna lift huge logs, you gotta have a huge arch.  Looks great.  Enjoy.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Crusarius

But loading them by hand is so much more fun. And a great workout....

Yea. I need an arch :)

firefighter ontheside

Putting my A frame to work this week picking up a load of oak.  Probably more than one trip for these 11 logs.  Some are 20' long.  May cut to length before loading.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

barbender

Be careful with the long ones. Oak is really heavy, and if you get too much weight behind your trailer axle axle the "tail can start waggin' the dog"😊 I have a 14', 14K dump trailer and a one ton Dodge. The other day I had it loaded up with some long firewood, probably 17-18' long. I figured, ah, it's a one ton I'll be fine. Got going 60, let's just say I was appreciating the manual electric trailer brake control!
Too many irons in the fire

firefighter ontheside

JNo worries.  I always put more on the front than the back.  Most likely I will not load a 20' log.  I will cut it in half first.  I have a 10,000lb trailer and a 1 ton Ford.  The logs are only about 20 miles from the house, so I will make extra trips before I load unsafely.  Plus, the roads I have to drive on are no place for an unsafe load.  There's 2 hills that must be 12% grade.  They are real fun pulling my 10,000 camper on.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

Well, I was unloading some logs off of my trailer.  I had the A frame standing up and out of the way and supported by a strap.  When I dragged the big oak log off, it shook the trailer and caused the strap to come undone.  The frame then fell down on the log.  Now I have a broken timber.  At the very least, I need to make one new one.  I'm considering making two new ones and and use oak this time.  Maybe make them 4x4 instead of 5x5.  Its been working great otherwise.  The logs I loaded this morning were probably 2000 lbs.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Crusarius

To bad your not closer. I would be happy to help you out and weld something up for you. you definitely be better with steel vs wood for that use.

firefighter ontheside

I saved some WO yesterday and made some timbers about 4 1/4 x 5 for the new and improved A frame.  It worked well today.  It's just a lot heavier than the yellow pine.  It's nice that it's stronger, but I have to lift it a lot so it's a lot heavier to lift.  I guess it's part of my workout program.  I did fashion a chain that limits how far it will fall down when I'm loading a log.  That was nice to have.  Still room for improvement there.

Steel may be the ticket eventually, but for now it's timber.  The best part about steel is that it won't have to be an A frame.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!