iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Expensive trip to Paul Bunyan

Started by mailman, October 07, 2018, 09:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mailman

I went to the Paul Bunyan show looking for a conveyor and table to speed up the process with my Timberwolf splitter, and came home with a Brute Force 14-24 Processor.
 I ran a couple cords through it after I got home, and so far it does a great job.
 I'm going to be using it mostly in the same location and will have an extension to run longer logs. Almost all of my firewood logs are 6"-16" ash so the 14-24 should do fine.
 Very happy with the heavy, well thought out construction of the Brute Force.

thecfarm

I don't know if Bangor ME is too far for them guys next year in May.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hedgerow

Mailman
So how many cords a year do you process? Sounds like you bought the perfect machine for the size of wood you run. Enjoy the new processor. 

mailman

I'm over 50 full cords so far this season with the TW and will do at least that much more by the end of the season. I can get a full cord in my 7x12 dump trailer in about 1/3 the time it takes me with the TW,no conveyor, and hand cutting rounds next to the splitter.
 I work full time and deliver a load on the way to or from work nearly everyday, after I get home I get a load ready for the next day. I spend my weekends cutting and hauling logs.
 This processor should give me extra time for other things.
  I figure I'll do 100-150 loads(cords) a season, and burn 10- 15 here. I don't have the time or desire to do more than that right now. I've been doing 30-50 a year for several years now, and have a good base of customers with no advertising so far. 

hedgerow

Mailman
Sounds like you were ready to move up to a processor. Years ago when I worked nights as a mechanic for a grocery wholesaler I would take a cord of wood a night on a dump trailer and deliver it in the morning after work on the way home. I would get home feed the cows and hand throw another cord on the trailer on the weekends I had a buddy and his two sons help and use  another pickup and dump trailer.Back then he burned 10 cord himself so for the trees and my equipment he helped me.  I used to sell around 50 cord a year.Back then I sold a lot of ash and mulberry. The last 10 years I haven't sold wood it's all I can do to get the 10-15 cord ready that I burn my self. I have a home built processor I still am working the bugs out of. My wood size is all over the board so a processor doesn't work the best. I am only cutting locust and hedge for fire wood. Once in a well a ash gets cut. 

mailman

Yeah, I don't think this processor would work nearly as well for me if I just had tops to run in it. I have a couple years worth of standing dead ash on my farm, and several other places that would like dead ash removed. I haven't priced ash from any of the full time timber cutters, but I'll bet there are deals to be had there too.

Thank You Sponsors!