iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

a Silly little project.

Started by Old Greenhorn, January 27, 2019, 06:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

We've been fighting the snow and ice all week, and yesterday too. I was tired and have pretty much given up trying to clear the skid road. The ground seeps are keeping it from freezing and plowing is a mess. Plus, I don't want to get hurt doing something stupid which is becoming more likely each attempt I make. Anyway, it's Sunday and I am pooped, but I have to do something, right.  I should be studying for my EMT re-cert exam in a few weeks, but I really don't wanna yet (it's only a 1,000 page book i have to review). Wasn't Sunday supposed to be a day of rest? I took the wife on all her errands in town including the (endless) monthly food shopping trip which we haven't done since Christmas, so it took even more time. Today was my day to do what I wanted, and it was even more rare that my son did not have one of his trucks in my shop for some '2 day repair' that took 2 weeks. I could use my shop, well except for the utility body he is rebuilding that is still sitting there.
 Anyway, one of the little things that bothers me every time I am out cutting is all the 'stuff' I have banging around in the back of the mule, especially the saw. It gets rolled around, and sometimes there is a small fluid leak that gets in the bed or on other stuff, tools get banged up and axes dulled. I hate it and it drives me crazy. Also, if I want to throw some odd pieces of wood or stone in the back, there is no room with all the tools in there. the cant hook is an odd size and is always sticking out, its just not my kind of fung schway or however you say/spell that. SO I wanted to do something about this and the most important part for me was making a scabbard that would hang the saw on the side nice and neat and make it easy to grab. I worked with junk scrap lumber from the pile and any odd hardware I had in the shop.

So, this is part one: I made and apron that just hangs on the top rail of the bed rail.

I used a 1x 10 piece of white ash for the apron, a 1-1/4 x 1" piece of pine that was a ripping remnant for a EWP board I got from @nybhh a few weeks ago, and a 3/4 x 4" piece of white oak for the inside edge 'clamp'.  4 carriage bolts along the top edge and when tight, they clamp on the rail, so no lifting or movement. 
Once this was done, I thought abut the other tools, looked for hard ware and wound up with this:

I got the maul, ax, and cant hook all up there and it works nice. I feel like I didn't waste a Sunday, and work just got  little easier. I will probably take it all apart and maybe ask NYBHH id he can run the ash through his planer before I put some sort of finish and sealant on it. But just a silly little project to make some use out of a day I was too tired to do any work. My work isn't pretty, but it functions.
Tom
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

Looks like time well spent. I keep thinking of making something to organize my ATV basket so the 10' cable w/swivel I keep in there doesn't get hung on everything else when I take it out. I really like the chainsaw scabbard.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

The scabbard is a piece of white oak with a pithy live edge. It was a bear to do the routing on the back side for the saw slot and it's probably an inch or so thicker than it needs to be. I was just grabbing junk to use.
I was going to start another thread asking to see what others have done to make boxes for their ATV's. I don't have one, but my neighbor does and I learned today that it can go a LOT of places I can't with the Mule through the snow, and a LOT faster! HE has flat racks on the front and back, but no boxes and what a pain in the butt it is to try and carry something. I need to make him a box (so I can use it).
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

thecfarm

A  good project.
Not that this will help you,but my silly project

Than for the gas and oil.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Having a little trouble making out that first photo, but it looks like a well worn scabbard. The gas/oil rack idea I love. I might look into making something like that for my rig and set it up on top of the right front corner of the bed rails.

thecfarm

Lets try this picture,

Guess I should of took some pictures when I first put it on.  ;D  Yes, it's well worn from use.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Perfect spot for it too!. If it is that well worn, it must get a lot of use. I hate having good tools get banged around. Now I am starting to think about how to make that box for my Neighbors ATV. That will be a nice surprise for him.

Brad_bb

What you guys are doing is called 2 second lean or "fixing what bugs you".  There are things in your life that cause frustration or wasted time and energy.  If you fix something that used to take 2 seconds out of your day(or more), then add up that savings over every day it would have continued to happen, it really is a significant savings.  If you continue to do that, you end up far more efficient in all areas of your life, make tasks that used to be a pain, painless or easy.  The 2 second lean audio book is on youtube.  Very interesting.  Listen while you work or drive.  
What is 2 Second Lean - The Power of Becoming a 2 Second Lean Thinker - YouTube

2 Second Lean - Audio Book by Paul A. Akers - YouTube
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Old Greenhorn

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D Brad first let me say I appreciate your comment and in absolutely NO WAY do I intend to offend you or hurt your feelings. I say the following with all sincerity and no sarcasm intended nor do I intend to change the way folks think or approach work and life. (How is THAT for a disclaimer?  :)) (and yes, I am smiling as I type this and am not mad or in a rage, because I am sure you didn't see this coming. You had no idea that you just mashed down on one of my hot buttons, really hard. Not your fault. You offered a useful thought and I am not discounting that, just clarifying my opinion on it.)
 First I have been taught since my youth to look at what I do everyday and find better ways to get it done by making it easier, faster, and eliminating wasted motion and time. My Dad taught me this, he learned it from another fella I will tell you about in a minute here.
 Second, I get SO much 'lean this' and 'lean that' at work over the last 40+ years that I am sick of it and it's the last thing I want to think about when I am working for my own pleasure. I hear about kaizans, flow paths, 5S events, and more, and am forced to participate in them. Most of it is nonsense because the folks 'leading' these things learned from a book or a seminar and are just checking off boxes. They don't really 'get it'. It makes me a bit crazy.
 Now, don't get me wrong, I am a very strong advocate in looking carefully at 'work' and devising ways to make it more efficient in fundamental ways that provide order of magnitude improvements. It's my main job and I am very good at it, but I don't need a committee to do it.
 If you know some of the history of lean, you know it is derived from the Toyota management system and was brought to the US by a fella whose name I am pretty sure was Walsh or Welch. The purpose was to find a way to teach these concepts to folks who had no prior exposure and it became very complicated with a lot of rules and procedures and processes and evaluation methods. Somewhere along the way they forgot to teach the basic reasons we are doing this and what the final outcome would look like.
 If you go back further in the history of all this to see where the Toyota folks got it, well when you reach the end of the hall, you will find none other than Henry Ford standing there to teach you all he knows. Ol' Henry was a pretty smart fella (without a college degree, mind you) and he looked at work VERY carefully and had methods to analyze and smooth out processes pretty quickly. If you want to read a fascinating book, read "My Life and Work" by Henry Ford and see if you don't see all the basics of lean principals in there. It's public domain and you can read it free online. I read it in two evenings and you can skip the last chapter or two, they are nonsense as I recall. Now Henry was also and oddball when it came to social issues like people of Jewish descent, Nazi collaboration, politics, and other things which sure don't look too good looking back there from here. However, like him or not, he started, and I dare say perfected, this whole lean thing, but nobody gives him credit for it. Everybody wants to make it sound like they are the expert and in my eyes, most of them don't have a clue.
 You probably think I am a little nuts myself and I wouldn't blame you. I could tell you some stories that would shed better light on why I come to hold the opinion, but that is best done around a campfire with a cup of coffee or cold adult beverages. Lean does a good job for a lot of folks, but some of us have been doing it long before Mr. Walsh (or Welch) started writing books and collecting big consulting fees.
 Sorry man, you had no way of knowing. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings. It's really my cross to bear, not yours. But I want folks to know the truth about where that all came from and focus on the real intent.

Brad_bb

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on January 28, 2019, 06:19:27 PMSecond, I get SO much 'lean this' and 'lean that' at work over the last 40+ years that I am sick of it and it's the last thing I want to think about when I am working for my own pleasure. I hear about kaizans, flow paths, 5S events, and more, and am forced to participate in them. Most of it is nonsense because the folks 'leading' these things learned from a book or a seminar and are just checking off boxes. They don't really 'get it'. It makes me a bit crazy.
Now, don't get me wrong, I am a very strong advocate in looking carefully at 'work' and devising ways to make it more efficient in fundamental ways that provide order of magnitude improvements. It's my main job and I am very good at it, but I don't need a committee to do it.
I Couldn't agree more.  Your bitter taste is understandable.  I've been through the same thing with companies I've worked for.  And that is the same opinion of the guy that wrote 2 second lean and all the videos that go along to demonstrate it.  Everyone is doing it wrong, , they make it too complicated, it never sticks because It's implemented wrong and the guys at the top don't embrace it.  To those not familiar with lean, Paul Akers 2 second lean can be a revelation.  To those familiar with lean and how companies typically tried to implement it as another edict directed from upon high, it can be an eye opener on how simple lean should be and how it can help not just at work, but in personal life.  Paul's method and philosophy is simple and makes sense and empowers people.  The system that you are familiar with did not empower people.

Old Greenhorn

Brad, I have been sweating this out since I hit 'post'. I am glad I did not offend you. I nearly deleted my comment as soon as I posted it because I did not want to mix my work 'issues' with all that is good and wholesome about the forum here. 
 You really should give Ford's book a try. Given your knowledge I am pretty certain you will get a kick out of it when you think about how very far ahead he was and how poorly understood he was, even in his own day. He did some things in the interest of productivity that nobody would dare consider in this day of expected and accepted greed by corporations. Things like doubling wages, who does that? He did.
 Thanks again, with your introduction, I may just give that video a try, but just not tonight. I am all tweaked up now. :)

Brad_bb

I don't get offended easily, and life's too short to worry about offending people if your intentions are good.  The audio book is interesting.

GAB

Having worked as a Design to Manufacturing Engineer at two companies (Avionics and Automotive) what most managers do not understand is that LEAN needs to start with the design personnel.  
I once told an engineer, concerning his new product design, this point is sacred and the interface is sacred everything in between has to change because you are looking at three new plastic parts that will cost over a $1,000,000 in tooling (1995 $'s) alone and it will add another person on the assembly line to assemble these parts, which is a recurring labor cost.  The final design was a lot less complicated.
I do realize that in many designs especially retrofit projects you have to compromise.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Old Greenhorn

GAB, welcome to my world! I am a manufacturing engineer solving the day to day problems caused by poor design, before that I was a design engineer, and before that I spent 30+ years as a machinist, CNC programmer, setup man, lead man, shop foreman, toolmaker, and manufacturing manager. Because I began my career making the parts that others designed, when I went into design I always designed as if I had to build it and made it the cheapest (time and effort wise) way. No unnecessary tolerances or details. If there was no 'value added' I didn't put it in the design, but I did put in a bunch of extras that made the machining process go much faster, like tooling holes, etc. My designs were always a hit for the folks in the shop, and they knew they could make suggestions I would embrace if they fit the design intent.
Today we don't have that. Most (almost ALL) engineers never had to make what they draw, and with respect I tell them they have no clue of the kind of cost and effort they are designing into their projects. I invite them to go out and see what it takes to make their parts, but they feel safer at their desks. I have a thousand stories about this type of stuff, it makes me crazy.
You guys are getting me going now and I don't want to spoil my happy place that is the FF, so I will stop here before I start telling you about the classes I am teaching and the level of knowledge I am seeing in working Engineers that are my students. It boggles the mind and makes you wonder where we will be in another 20 years as a country. I want to leave work... at work, until it becomes fun again.

thecfarm

I worked in a plant that supplied truck liners in many and I do mean many Toyota cars. Upper management was the ones that told us how the japs had the best way to get our jobs done.  ::) I don't remember all the words and slogans that was used. All behind me now.  ;D

GAB

At one company there was a 3 day product design review meeting that I and few others were told we had to attend and for some reason someone in management decided to send the electrical and mechanical designers.  When it was over I spoke with the electrical designer and he said he salvaged the circuit board shape and the mounting points and everything else had to be revised.  He told me you guys were brutal.  The engineer in charge thought he had the cat's meow and when we were done with his design instead of cuting steel he pretty much started over.  
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Old Greenhorn

Yup I participate in design reviews regularly and they can be rough on the person presenting the newborn child they are so prod of. We are finally getting to a point where a 'few' of the designers come to me to bounce ideas off. We beat things around and come up with a working plan and their designs come out a lot nicer. I recently had a chat by the coffee pot with a designer and when we were done blending thoughts, we had knocked the cost of the product down by 40% and reduced the weight by 25%, and it appears the speed of the tool will also be better, but we have to build it to find out. Certainly not in any way my ideas, but things that WE came up with by asking each other 'what if?' and "do you think we could.?"
 There is a glimmer of hope, but it is small.

WV Sawmiller

I worked on the O&M side so we had to come in and operate and maintain what our construction brethren built and be discrete about it so as not to tick off the client we had built it for. I still remember the RO/RO trash dumpsters that were to be unloaded on a dock in the service area (We built a winch to drag them off since they could not be gravity unloaded) and the basket at the sewage plant that was too tall to lift out of the well it was in then too wide to fit between the uprights to go dump in the hopper there so I suspect to this day a little man in rubber boots is still climbing in and out and shoveling the poo out with a shovel (We cut the height so it would come out of the well but could not fix the width issue because it had to match the width dimensions of the well). Of course manpower was cheap there. I once proudly told the Project Director "This sweeper truck will will replace 80 men with brooms" and he asked me back "Yeah, but what do 80 men with brooms cost over here?"
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Brad_bb

Hahahaha!  I guess I was one of the few design engineers who grew up building stuff, fixing stuff, welding, machining, a press operator for a few years before I went to school.... I knew both sides of things... and probably why people on the floor, in the tool room, in the test lab... liked working with me and visa versa.  I was always the only one in my group with that kind of experience.  It's unfortunate that many engineers don't have those experience to draw from.  Knowing so many machine designs and mechanisms helped me design things I know would work.  I also had no problem asking others outside of engineering what they thought.  When people feel you respect them and you hold them in high regard for their abilities, it really helps to get cooperation and work together.

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

I was worried my little rant would draw some heavy fire and get me in trouble. I should have realized there is a very high level of folks who think about solving their own problems and build their own solution here. Today it seems like when somebody encounters a problem they look for something to buy, somebody to blame, someone to sue, or someone to hire to fix it, rather than just tackle it themselves. Had I put the same rant on a manufacturing forum with all the brain-washed middle management types, I would have been run off on a rail (if they could find where to buy one).
 Glad we could have a nice discourse and glad there are others who 'get me' here. It is a rare experience for me these days. Now if we could just get back to the fun stuff please? I have to shave, put on a nice shirt, fill the wood stove, and head off for another day in the manufacturing world. Then come home and plow. Oh joy.
 Doc, I am not sure what you are applauding, but if it added to your entertainment,that must be worth something.
Tom

doc henderson

It is always a struggle for the people who do it everyday to work with the over educated people who have never touched the equipment used to build or do something.  Several of you expressed how difficult it can be.  I started out as an "on the job" respiratory therapist and worked my way through school.  It is helpful to have been the 20 year old novice and later be the overeducated dude.  It has helped us build our team at work.  The now 20 y/o tech will go on to become nurses, midlevels, and docs.  Almost all of our "scribes?  making 10 bucks and hour are all pre-med.  Maybe I am applauding that you are all smarter than you realize.IMHO
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on January 29, 2019, 09:50:00 AMMaybe I am applauding that you are all smarter than you realize.IMHO
Happy accidents often result from hard work and thinking things through. I had an interesting episode when doing clinical hours in the E/D more than a 'few' years ago. We had a trauma (fall) patient come in with an improperly affixed cervical collar. He was in great discomfort, the family was complaining on his behalf. I spoke to the nurse about fixing it for him. She told me to do nothing until tests came back and the Doc did his eval. An hour went by, it got worse, the complaints were getting louder. I asked the nurse again, she got really pithed off and told me if I was that concerned, I should go tell the Doc, then she stood back to watch the fireworks when I did just that. (He had a short temper and yelled a lot, I had noticed.) He came in, saw the patient and his issue, I offered again to fix it, he wanted his own tech to do it, but it turned out they don't have training on C-collars in hospitals (?), so the Doc asked me to teach everyone the procedure. Boy was that nurse ticked at me! At my shift end I went to apologize to the Doc for interfering. To my surprise, he swung around on his heal and stuck his finger in my face and said "NEVER apologize for being an advocate for YOUR patient, that is YOUR JOB!" Then he added quietly, 'You did good work, you will do well in this field, you have the right instincts".  I guess it helps to keep the end goal in mind and think in that direction, it happens in all fields.

doc henderson

Amen brother!  The hard part is maintaining that passion after 30 - 40 years.  I started as an RT in 1980.  You do the math.  I guess my applaud icon was open to interpretation.  believe or not, sometimes I try to say less.  smiley_roller

DFILER2

So far I have found this thread really interesting, it's so nice to see this turn into a discussion.

Thank You Sponsors!