iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Everybody Needs an Old Hoe

Started by Corley5, November 11, 2014, 08:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

I picked this up as part of deal on a firewood debt and for more firewood.  It's a Bucyrus Erie Dynahoe 160.  It's got a 3-53 Detroit, is supposed to dig 16' deep and lift a bunch.  It runs good, is very tight and appears to be low houred.  It's a heavy duty old piece of iron.  I drove it 10 miles home today.  It's not real fast by any means  :)  It was raining too hard to process firewood anyway.  Glad the windshield wiper works  8)  It needs filters and fluids and the torque converter seal leaks a bit but it seems to all work fine.  I've got the door and all the side panels and covers for it too.  I'm going to fix up a pair of double diamond ice chains for it for plowing snow this winter.

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WmFritz

That is one stout looking hoe. Very nice find.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Truly worth its weight in wood.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

rubber looks good!  man that's a machine!  how fast do you really need to go? ;D  and if you do, at least you have wipers ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jeff

Bring her up next year!  I'll let you dig me a little pond to get your practice in and I'll make sure you never run out of food! ;) :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

I'll need a heavier trailer to haul it and then a CDL too  ;D :D :) :)

Gary_C

Really nice looking hoe. Do you know how to pronounce "Bucyrus?"

Can you drop the hoe off for the winter snowplowing?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Magicman

That is a hunk of iron for sure.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Corley5

Boo si rus  Long "I" with the s.  I haven't looked to see what's involved in removing the hoe but I'll leave it on.  It really doesn't stick out that far and is really good counterweight  ;D

ScottAR

The Dynahoes are super stout for sure.  Steel is real and they used plenty.  I understand they are a little ponderous but stronger than anything else in their day.  Bucyrus also built 4x4 versions with large tires all around and a 30,000 lb ish curb weight.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

timberlinetree

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hardtailjohn

Those are one well built machine!!  You most likely wont ever wear it out!  Good find!!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

mesquite buckeye

Cool. You can bring it out to help clear and grade field #4 if you get tired of the winter.

We pay the heating bill and all you can eat. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

sandhills

WOW!  They spared no expense on iron building those, great find!

loggah

Those old dyna-hoes were good machines,the 4x4 version dug just like a regular wheel loader,that one looks pretty nice. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Ken

Although I'm unfamiliar with that model it sure looks like a rugged and simple to work on machine.  Good luck with it.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Corley5

The neighbor's plow truck broke and he borrowed the tractor to open his driveway.  It's pretty slippery without tire chains but that's no surprise.  We're going to dig the old ice chains out tomorrow for it.  What did happen was the short coolant hose behind the fuel filter on the blower side blew out.  No problem, take the fuel filter off, remove old hose and get new ones along with anti-freeze.  We put it back together,  got it bled out but couldn't get it to fire.  By this time it was getting close to deer hunting time  ;D  What we discovered after a little research was that you shouldn't mess with the emergency shut off damper in the intake  :D ;D  After we figured out it needed to be reset and re-set it, the engine fired right up  ;D :D  The cable to the damper is there but  unhooked.  I messed with the connection on the intake without realizing it had to be re-set after tripping it.  Lesson # 1 on a Detroit  8) 8)

chet

My brother was using my Napco Crab hoe with that same 3-53. Unknowingly shut it down by using da emergency shut off. Unable to start it no matter what he tried.  He called me in a shear panic, was sure he blew it up.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

ozarkgem

It looks like a low hr machine. A real beast. You will love having a hoe around.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

SawyerBrown

When I read the topic title, I was surprised it wasn't moved to the Restricted area ...   :D :D
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Corley5

Quote from: SawyerBrown on November 26, 2014, 06:47:52 AM
When I read the topic title, I was surprised it wasn't moved to the Restricted area ...   :D :D

;) ;D

FayettesFinest

The cement plant by my house has two of these old Dynahoes. Really seem to be stout machines. They loaded 2'x6' cement blocks on our F550 dump with ease. The hardest thing with them is hearing anything over that Detroit!
A handful of junk saws and a junk F250

scsmith42

Wow - what a beast!  Nice score!!!!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Corley5

Time to rebuild the torque converter/reverser on the old hoe.  It's a Borg Warner Velvet drive. I found a place near Cleveland that does the work and have talked with them.  I can use they're shipping codes for a discount to get the unit there.  Back in the day they kept rebuilt units on hand but Dynahoes aren't real common anymore.  I got some use out of it and have more work for it.  It's worth more fixed.  Going to be an adventure getting it apart and back together.

Thank You Sponsors!