iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Chainsaw 90+cc

Started by VPI, January 16, 2018, 03:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VPI

Hello all, first post here.  Been reading for several weeks, trying to educate myself on chainsaw milling.  I grew up with 2 wood stoves in my parents house so I have cut some firewood, mainly with a couple Husky 51's. I now have a CS-400 that has served me well for occasional use over last 5-6 years.

**I do not mean for this post to become an argument on which manufacturer is better.**

I have borrowed a friends saw and Alaskan mill a couple times now and have decided to purchase my own setup. I have a 58" average diameter, 11' long silver maple log down in my yard now which is my short term goal. I will eventually whittle this log for slabs for a table but will practice on smaller stuff back in the woods on my property first.  I will be buying a 48" Granberg mill but will run a 36" factory bar at first and hopefully purchase a 48" range bar in the future for milling around crooks and Y's. 

I'm looking at the MS661 and the 395XP. I have read the 395XP would be better for milling due to air filtration and larger oiler as well as potential for port polish/work.  However, after talking to local shop who is a Stihl and Husqvarna dealer, I am a bit swayed to the 661.  The dealer said the quality of even the pro saws from Husqvarna has declined since lesser grade Husky saws have been sold in big box stores.  This dealer has been here for longer than I can remember and is a trusted shop. There is one other dealer, with great service, that sells Husky and there are at least 2 more that sell Stihl with comparable service.

Is there any merit to the declining quality claims or should I buy the best deal and get to milling?
395XP
CS-400
MKIV 56"

sawguy21

Some guys will say anything to make a sale.  >:( Both brands make excellent pro saws and are the only ones who have models that meet your wants. Pick the dealer you are most comfortable with and run with him.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ehp

Just me OK but I would go 395 for milling , 395 has a carb you can set the jets on and richen it up to do milling with . The saws sold in box stores are home owner saws not pro saws . Pro saws in both companies are very good

samandothers

Can't help on the saw question. However when I saw your user ID i had to say hello and welcome!  I was there when the official name changed from VPI & SU to Virginia Tech. Which program were you in?

Hope you are happy with your saw choice and happy sawing!

XP_Slinger

Both of your choices are great saws.  That dealer is filling your ear with false statements about pro Husqvarna saws.  That aside, the 395 would be my choice, it is just plain tough and will oil better than the 661.  But even with that ability, I would recommend an auxiliary Oiler when you get into milling wood over 36".
346XP/NE
357XP...ported by MeDremel
372XP/XT...ported by A. Burr
Homelite (Solo) 340

I'd rather be in the woods than on this computer.

VPI

Quote from: samandothers on January 16, 2018, 10:48:09 PM
Can't help on the saw question. However when I saw your user ID i had to say hello and welcome!  I was there when the official name changed from VPI & SU to Virginia Tech. Which program were you in?

Hope you are happy with your saw choice and happy sawing!

I began undecided in 2000, went into Fisheries Science for a year and ended up with a BS in Civil Engineering, graduated in 2006.  GO HOKIES!!!
395XP
CS-400
MKIV 56"

samandothers

Sounds like you'll be busy.  We hope to move back to Floyd county one of theses days.  Sure like the area! 

Look forward to hearing your saw selection and about future projects!

VPI

New development...

Local Husky dealer is recommending the 390XP over the 395XP. Said he has a guy who runs a chainsaw Alaska style mill 30 hours a week and traded his 395Xp for a 390Xp and absolutely loves it.  Said it has more torque and uses much less fuel.  It seems he also bought a bunch of the 309XP's on a volume deal so he may be pushing this model for other reasons. 

Will the 390Xp be able to run a 40-50" bar?
395XP
CS-400
MKIV 56"

HolmenTree

Quote from: VPI on January 17, 2018, 10:59:37 AM
New development...

Local Husky dealer is recommending the 390XP over the 395XP. Said he has a guy who runs a chainsaw Alaska style mill 30 hours a week and traded his 395Xp for a 390Xp and absolutely loves it.  Said it has more torque and uses much less fuel.  It seems he also bought a bunch of the 309XP's on a volume deal so he may be pushing this model for other reasons. 

Will the 390Xp be able to run a 40-50" bar?
Bad information Hahaha.
390XP has no where near the torque and milling capability the 395XP has.
In this pic my 395XP-36 is milling a 10"×14"×16 ft long beam in minus 40 below F windchill conditions.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

mad murdock

395XP all the way.  I have one running my Turbosawmill M6, and will soon be converting it to an M8, with the same saw running it.  The only mod done on my saw since it was new, was I had a dual port muffler put on it from the dealer. It has a ton of power, and I can make full cuts with the mill in Douglas fir and softer stuff like cedar and redwood.  Hardwoods (Oak, etc), 3-4" cuts are no problem. The saw powers an arbor that turns the circle (carbide toothed) blade, It is about 16" in dia.  The new one will be close to 20" in dia.
My 372XP is set up with a 36" Alaskan Mk III, and it works well, I have a 32" bar on it.  The best thing you can do to improve cutting with the alaskan is use  Stihl 63PMX ripping chain, it is .050" .365 gauge chain, I use a .050" slotted bar on mine, and a std 3/8" pitch drive sprocket, it is close enough to the .365" pitch that it wears in with no wear on the drive links, and does a great job. though no longer a forum sponsor, bailey's is one place I know you can get that chain, Not sure where else.  well worth using it, as it takes a 1/4" kerf in lieu of a std 3/8" kerf of grandberg's chain.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Skeans1

Quote from: mad murdock on January 17, 2018, 11:55:20 AM
395XP all the way.  I have one running my Turbosawmill M6, and will soon be converting it to an M8, with the same saw running it.  The only mod done on my saw since it was new, was I had a dual port muffler put on it from the dealer. It has a ton of power, and I can make full cuts with the mill in Douglas fir and softer stuff like cedar and redwood.  Hardwoods (Oak, etc), 3-4" cuts are no problem. The saw powers an arbor that turns the circle (carbide toothed) blade, It is about 16" in dia.  The new one will be close to 20" in dia.
My 372XP is set up with a 36" Alaskan Mk III, and it works well, I have a 32" bar on it.  The best thing you can do to improve cutting with the alaskan is use  Stihl 63PMX ripping chain, it is .050" .365 gauge chain, I use a .050" slotted bar on mine, and a std 3/8" pitch drive sprocket, it is close enough to the .365" pitch that it wears in with no wear on the drive links, and does a great job. though no longer a forum sponsor, bailey's is one place I know you can get that chain, Not sure where else.  well worth using it, as it takes a 1/4" kerf in lieu of a std 3/8" kerf of grandberg's chain.
You might try Madsen's in Washington as well not sure if they'll stock it but they have a lot of off the wall saw stuff.

starmac

Would this be the same dealer that said huskys quality had declined??
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

VPI

Quote from: starmac on January 17, 2018, 03:13:34 PM
Would this be the same dealer that said huskys quality had declined??

Negative.  This is a different dealer a bit farther away that I called to just get their 2 cents.  He priced me a 395XP with a 36" Oregon 3/8" .058 ga. bar for $1187 plus tax.  Said he's making $25 on the deal.  Probably going to call him tomorrow and pull the trigger.
395XP
CS-400
MKIV 56"

mad murdock

That is a screaming good price. The .050" bar and 63PMX chain is worth the changeover though. Smaller Kerf=faster milling. The dual port muffler will increase powere by (I am guessing here) about .5 hp or so.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

VPI

Quote from: mad murdock on January 17, 2018, 04:20:32 PM
That is a screaming good price. The .050" bar and 63PMX chain is worth the changeover though. Smaller Kerf=faster milling. The dual port muffler will increase powere by (I am guessing here) about .5 hp or so.

I may go .050 gauge, I've just read the .058 and .063 will oil longer bars better.  This dealer has the 36" Oregon bars in stock so I can have my pick when I pick up the saw.  Pretty stoked, not gonna lie.
395XP
CS-400
MKIV 56"

mad murdock

63PMX Chain has the oil-o-matic feature, I am not a stihl fan, but they make some real good chain, with innovative design elements. The oil-o-matic really works well, as it allows more oil to carry with the drive links and has lube channels to keep and direct the oil directly where it is needed on each DL. I have so far only gone as far as 32" but there has been no issues with lack of oil.

HolmenTree

Good post Murdock
And to add the new Husqvarna chain made in Sweden  has copied and uses the Stihl Oil O Matic drive link design.
A design that was first introduced by Stihl in late 1970.

VPI

I'll be picking up the new 395XP tomorrow. Probably use it some this weekend to break it in.  Any advice on break in? 

Also, is this the dual port muffler I would need?

(Ebay ad removed by Admin, refer to forum rules)

Thanks again to all for the comments and advice.
395XP
CS-400
MKIV 56"

HolmenTree

Quote from: VPI on January 18, 2018, 10:07:19 AM
I'll be picking up the new 395XP tomorrow. Probably use it some this weekend to break it in.  Any advice on break in? 

Also, is this the dual port muffler I would need?

(Ebay ad removed by Admin, refer to forum rules)

Thanks again to all for the comments and advice.
Maybe hold off on the dual port muffler until you get it well broke in. You don't want to jeopardize the saws warranty when most needed.
If it turns out not to be a lemon then go ahead with the muffler.
My advice is run good fuel mix keep it clean and keep the chain sharp.
Periodically check the screws and bolts torque.
My 395's carburetor mount  bolts loosened off once when I was milling.
Luckily I caught it preventing a lean seizure.

Jesper Jepsen

If you are going above 42" bar length I would go with the MS 880 you will need the extra power from the 120cc. I use the MS 661 with a 36" bar for milling and it's great it can run a 42" but thats is around max if you are going to do a lot of that size milling.  The next choice is either the MS 880 or double head milling. 

teakwood

X2. I had the 088 for milling and you really need that power to make it work with such long bars. Although i don't know if you just use it in softwood
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

mad murdock

I was advised by the saw shop (I go my 395XP from Rich Dugan "the Chainsaw was Guy") he has a ton of vids on youtube under the Channel "saw king" or the title "shop talk". He suggested I buy the 395 or 661 vs the 3120 or 880 as power is not that much different, and since pro fallers use the 95cc saws much more than the larger ones, they are produced in larger numbers and parts support is better for either one. I took his advice and I am glad I did. I have plenty of power with the dual port muffler and the saw has been running like a dream. I have milled about 40 mbf since last spring when the saw was new, sent it back to him at the 30 mbf mark for a check up, and it is doing great. My friend Milled a very large black walnut with his slabbing saw he built (144" bar) and is running it with the 661 of his. No issues.

moodnacreek

It seems like huskys have the performance  and stihls have longevity. I have many stihls from 017's to 075's and never had one blow up. On husky I got 1 good saw out of 3: 345, 575 and 262. Only the 262 has survived .

mad murdock

I have owned several Swede saws 266, 181, 372XPW, and 395XP. I have never had one blow up, have used them professionally and for chainsaw milling for years. I think it depends on the attention and care, Stihl makes good saws, I have just never preferred them. I have used many of them also, just always liked the Husky.

Skeans1

One thing the husky has going for it as well is that out board clutch which is a pain but normally stronger, I know a few guys myself included that pull a 60" full skip chain through 5'+ Doug fir when the time or ground says we have to. A 3120 is a good saw so is a 088 but for pulling long bar all day long it's either a Mac 125 or 090 but good luck finding one. For doing a dual port I'll normally buy a cheap muffler off Bailey's two 288 deflectors, use a scribe on the inside of it for marking then center punch the 4 corners then a cut off wheel to build them with a deflector per side which involves some plastic to be removed.

Thank You Sponsors!