iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fuel mix preferences

Started by thutch85, February 01, 2018, 10:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thutch85

I recently started running Motul 800 racing 2-stroke oil (mixed 50:1) and Maxima High Test octane booster (2oz per gallon). The saws seem to be loving it! Starting easier and running stronger in cuts. Thought we'd see what others prefer!?!

Woodcutter_Mo

I just use Echo Red Armor, Echo Power Blend, Husqvarna XP oil, or Stihl Ultra HP. I have a gallon of Red Armor oil so I'm set for a while, it seems to run great and is easy to see the red dye in the mixed fuel. I run 50:1 with 91 octane non-ethanol gas.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Al_Smith

8) Oh goody the great oil debate again .

sablatnic

Aspen alkylate premixed petrol.
Because it doesn't stink, and because it can be stored for years.

ButchC

I run Stihl Ultra and have the most sound reasoning for doing so. I like the smell of it  :D Secondary is that I haven't had any mechanical issues while using it.

Wife went to work at a fuel depot and they sell fragrances to add to your fuel, that was a new one on me?. I bought the Apple smell and put a dab in the snowblower to test it. Smells like it is running on Apple cider.  I think I will add some to the premix jug ;D

About forgot, my saws all like 91 octane fuel
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: Al_Smith on February 02, 2018, 06:08:08 AM

I was going to say, there are alot of oil and mix fuel threads  ;)
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

mad murdock

for over a year now I have been running nothing but amsoil sabre 2 full synthetic 2 stroke oil, at the "sabre' ratio of about 85 or 90:1 in my Husqvarna 395XP and my other saws, and have had no issues.  I have milled about 40k bd ft to date with the sawmill saw (395), and it is running very strong!  FWIW.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thutch85

I searched two stroke oil, oil fuel mix, and chainsaw fuel and didn't find much on fuel mixes. Wasn't supposed to be a debate, just a sharing of info from personal experience, kind the point of these forums. I'd never heard of "Aspen alkylate premix" before, or the apple scented fuel additive. Thanks for the ideas guys.  :snowball:

Woodcutter_Mo

I've heared of scented fuel additives for the RC cars that run on the nitro methane stuff, never for a chainsaw though  ???

Never tried an octane booster in the 2 strokes. I may try it in one of my older saws and see what it does.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

thedoublejranch

Quote from: thutch85 on February 01, 2018, 10:47:52 PM
I recently started running Motul 800 racing 2-stroke oil (mixed 50:1) and Maxima High Test octane booster (2oz per gallon). The saws seem to be loving it! Starting easier and running stronger in cuts. Thought we'd see what others prefer!?!

We raced motocross for years and would use Motul 800 also (this was what most 2 stroke racers used). Another nice smelling oil, more like perfume was Klotz, cool stuff. They also make race fuel.
http://www.klotzlube.com/small_maintenance_.html
Grab some of that gas Home Depot sells, its actually race gas, you saw will perk up, buy it by the gallon for best value, it pencils out to about $100 for 5 gallons, about the same as race fuel. Comes in qts too, I use the qt bottole to haul in the woods, refill from gallon can. Has stabilizer in it, no alcohol, higher octane too. Smells like the race track too.  ;D

We ran 44:1 or 3 oz to a gallon, 50:1 is about 2.6 oz to a gallon and 40:1 is about 3.2 oz to a gallon.

OK, this below is intended for only those who like to extract the extra power available, especially if you run higher octane fuel. If your not interested, then stop here!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To get the most out of higher octane, we run our "squish band" at about .028" of an inch. This is the area of the piston outer edge to the head surfacde called squish band. We would measure it over the wrist pins space from piston top to cylinder. We measured it by inserting a small chuck of solder, bend it through the plug hole, over the wrist pin area (stay out of the transfer ports or you will shear the solder off) and then roll crank/piston over TDC back and forth, squish solder, remove solder, measure it. .026" was about minimim, after than, you start losing that pop ie diminishing returns. We woudl shoot for .028ish. Of course, we set this with cylinder gasket thickness then timing was set at 1.1mm BDTC. Dial indicator from Motion Pro to do this, fit in plug hole. Of course, dremel to clean up ports, not smooth, just get rid of turbulence or eddies, as for exhaust, polish those.  ;D
The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm.
Member "NWOA" National Woodland Owners Association"

thutch85

$100 for 5gallons!?!  :-X lol. I've seen VP fuels in 40 and 50:1 premix at 93octane for 20 a gallon. Figured I'd try high test in premium gas to get the octane up close to 100 and save $. In my racing days if you ran high compression you shot for 100octane. Motul, klotz, and maxima were all popular. Went with the maxima high test because it's safe in 2 and 4 strokes.

sablatnic

Been out checking the local prices.
Aspen is $17,58 a gallon (US gallon & dollar).
Gas from the local gas station is $7.47 a gallon. (And that is cheap).

ButchC

Don't worry about it, your fine. Some of these guys have been around saw forums for quite some time and there has been some pretty long winded (stupid if you ask me) threads about the subject and people posting lots of stuff like run my oil n mix or your saw will glow red, explode and kill half the earth's population when it does so.  Bottom line is no differant than any other information you get from the internet, throw out the extremists, absorb wgat seems to make sence, check the manufacturers  specs and go with it and you will be fine,. There ain't any bad oils, just missapplied oils.

Quote from: thutch85 on February 02, 2018, 11:07:31 PM

I searched two stroke oil, oil fuel mix, and chainsaw fuel and didn't find much on fuel mixes. Wasn't supposed to be a debate, just a sharing of info from personal experience, kind the point of these forums. I'd never heard of "Aspen alkylate premix" before, or the apple scented fuel additive. Thanks for the ideas guys.  :snowball:
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

dgdrls

semi or full Synthetic oil, usually Husky.  I have used VP fuel in the past, nice stuff
but I don't run my saws enough to make it pay. 
I keep fresh non-ethanol mixed in small batches

When I ran my Trials Bike then yes Motul oil and octane booster.

D

John Mc

Quote from: thutch85 on February 02, 2018, 11:07:31 PM

Try searching for "oil wars", since Al can usually be counted on to make that comment in every thread where the great debate about what oil mix ratio comes up.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

PNWRusty

I just run what the manufacturer of the engine recommends. Works for me but I've only been using a chainsaw for the last 42 years so maybe I'm being foolish.

Gearbox

When you add oil you raise the octane rating . Just guessing here but 93 octane at 50 to 1 maybe near 100 when mixed . The one reason I run Amsoil sabre at 50 to1 is it chases the Mosquitos away . [ It works try it ]
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

thutch85

Two stroke oil actually decreases the octane rating a couple points. Google it, all the major 2 stroke engine manufacturers say a 50:1 mix drops it about 2 points. Saws are fairly high compression and air cooled so higher octane is good for performance and engine longevity.

John Mc

All octane does is prevent the spontaneous ignition of the fuel-air mixture as it is compressed. This higher the octane, the more you can compress it without it self-igniting. The higher your compression the higher octane rating is needed. As long as the octane is high enough to prevent self-ignition, you gain nothing by boosting it further. A couple of points as a safety margin makes some sense (especially since gas tends to lose some of its octane rating over time, as some of the components evaporate off), but running 100 octane fuel in a stock saw does not get you anything in terms of increased performance.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Gearbox

I can't see how oil added to the gas will lower the octane rating . I should slow the burn . Maybe it leans the mix . I am no expert .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Al_Smith

Some might say it leans the mix .However it's the ratio of fuel,meaning the fuel mix to air .Using that reasoning it would make sense to use straight gasoline and we all should know that won't work .--just saying---

barbender

I've seen that reasoning before, Al, and it makes me think of all the saws I've seen that were lean seized from running a heavier oil ratio (zero)🙄🙄🙄😁
Too many irons in the fire

Al_Smith

I seldom buy anything new but a few years ago I bit the bullet and bought a brand spanking new Stihl weed wacker .It came with a pack of Stihl ultra with the purchase with a recommended ratio of 50 to 1 which extended the warranty .So I ran it with the oil--at 32 to 1 ratio .Funny at that ratio the brand new Stihl plus 40 year old McCullochs  ran equally as well using that stuff at that ratio .They didn't smoke like they were burning soft coal either .--I luv the oil wars  8)

HolmenTree

Actually on the back of the Stihl Ultra bottle they recommend 32:1. 40:1  50:1
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Southside

I run my 372's at 32:1  - always have, always will.  For the past 5 years or better I have been using the gallon size 2 cycle marine injection oil that Wally World carries, it's blue and it's cheap, mix that with regular gas from the pump, E10 at most.  The way I see it if that stuff was good enough for my 671 cc Rotax powered muscle sled then it sure is good enough for a 72cc saw, and I have never damaged one doing it this way.       
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!