iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2015 Woodmizer hydraulics problem

Started by Billikenfan, July 06, 2016, 11:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billikenfan

I have a 2015 Woodmizer lt40 with a hydraulic problem.  The last time or 2 I have used it the pump was really making a whiney noise.  Tonight it quit one me.  The electric motor seems to be working I'm just not getting fluid.  I took the pressures line off the pump and it's just spitting a little.  I'm go I ng to call woodmizer tomorrow and see about getting a new pump.  Any opinions or tips on how to fix this thing would be great.  I'm getting a hydraulic Jose made tomorrow so I can use the electric over hydraulic power pack from my flatbed dump.  I'm hoping this will work.

Thanks Scott
2015 Woodmizer LT40  Hydraulic 35hp
Mountain Home Firewood Kiln. Beaver Wood Eater Firewood Processer.  John Deere 260 Skid Steer.

MartyParsons

Hello,
   I see very little hydraulic pump failures. I assume you checked the fluid level?
Most pump failures I see are self inflicted from not getting the drive engaged when removing the motor for brush inspection. Never use the bolts to pull the motor and pump together.
How many hours do you have on this?
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Brucer

A whiney noise in a hydraulic pump often indicates low (or no) fluid. First thing to do is check your fluid level. If it's low, second thing to do is go looking for leaks. I had one inside the main structural tube (DanG packrats) and I didn't discover it until the fluid started dripping out one of the holes in the frame.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Billikenfan

I only have 190 hrs on the mill.  I check the fluid and added more.  Still no change.  I drained it and refilled it.  Still no change.  I check for leaks and couldn't find any.  I pulled the main hydraulic line coming out of the pump and I'm not getting fluid to shoot out of it.  It just trickles and kind of surges a bit.  Not enough to move the hydraulics.  It does sound like it's starving for fluid. I'm not blaming woodmizer at all last year the mill was in a flood.  It got water in the hydraulic fluid.  I didn't know it until the winter when it froze up some.  Not solid but enough to not function correctly.  I drained and refilled then and everything worked normal again.  I'm assuming the damage was already done.and finally took its toll.   I'm just wanting to make sure I'm on the right track assessing the problem.

Thanks for the help
Scott
Mountain Home Firewood Kiln. Beaver Wood Eater Firewood Processer.  John Deere 260 Skid Steer.

Kbeitz

What kind of connection is there between the pump and the motor?
Is it something like a love-joy connection ?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Billikenfan

I haven't pulled the motor off the hydraulic unit yet.  But from other units I've worked on its a spline connection of some sort.

pineywoods

I would remove the pump, drain the oil, and tear it apart. That pump is about as simple a device as you could find. two gears and 1 seal on the shaft. If it got water, it likely got mud...Is this mill a super with 2 pumps ? If so, make sure both pumps are running. One good pump will push oil backwards through a dead pump and out the reservoir vent... 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Billikenfan

Just a standard hydraulic.  I'll try that thanks.

Scott

Brucer

Most of the WM hydraulic pumps I've seen have a built-in check valve and a built-in relief valve. They're both accessible from the side of the pump casing close to the motor.

The check valve is to let fluid leave the pump but not flow back into it. I've heard of cases where the check valve spring fails and the valve becomes a no-way valve instead of a one-way valve. That would cause excess pressure in your pump and the fluid would flow through the relief valve (which would whine).

My manual book has a separate hydraulic trouble shooting guide that has diagrams and parts lists for various pumps.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!