iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wisconsin Redwood

Started by Burlkraft, April 05, 2007, 08:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlkraft

I got this log from this guy today.........

All dis time and I been drivin' ta California fer redwood and we had it here all da time..... ;D ;D ;D

It's 16 feet long and 6 feet across...All I gotta do is get it off that DanG cradle and inta da parking lot and get a few guys and da Peterson and I think we can fill a couple 'a pickup trucks..... :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

OK, you gotta explain how and what and why that log got to Cheeseville.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gary_C

We'll have to take your word for it that it is a Redwood as I sure couldnt tell. It looks like that log has a nasty twist in it though. Is that as bad as it looks?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Burlkraft

Quote from: Jeff B on April 05, 2007, 09:00:08 PM
OK, you gotta explain how and what and why that log got to Cheeseville.

The cheese fairies brung it.... ;D ;D ;D

It's sittin' outside the former offices of PFC...They are into perfecting the bonding and sealing of mdf and plywood.
They moved to a new building and they want to get rid of this so they can sell the place. It's been there about 10 years, the GM was working in California on some project with redwood and had this trucked back and put in front of the office. He called me this morning to ask me if I wanted it...I asked him why he didn't saw it up with his mill.... :D :D :D  He's got a really small bandmill. Probably smaller than an LT 15...He was wonderin' how I was plannin' on sawin' it in da parking lot. He's never seen a swing mill...so there's one offbearer.... ;) ;) ;)

I figger we'll peel some boards off and see what we got and then 'prolly throw on the slabber.... ;D  ;D  ;D

Burlkraft

Quote from: Gary_C on April 05, 2007, 09:07:12 PM
We'll have to take your word for it that it is a Redwood as I sure couldnt tell. It looks like that log has a nasty twist in it though. Is that as bad as it looks?

Ya see them steel bands on there  ???  ???  ???...They tried to keep the bark on. That's the chunks of bark in various positions yer lookin' at. The log is as straight as can be. It will be strange to saw sumpthin' that doesn't bend or twist as yer sawin' it... ;D ;D

Gary_C

Yep, that explains it, I did not think Redwood would twist like that. Just don't forget to cut those bands off before you start sawing.  ;D  And don't wait till some of those tree huggers see you with that redwood smuggled out of Calif.   ::)

Burlkraft

..............................................Sssshhhhhhhh....................they might hear you........ smiley_devil_trident smiley_devil_trident smiley_devil_trident

Furby

22K pounds........... might wanna use a little powder on the cradle. ;D

Radar67

Why not block up around it and set the Peterson up where it sits until you can whittle it down to a manageable size?

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Furby

And miss the fun with powder ???

Burlkraft

The City Of Madison Terror Response Team will shoot us dead iffin' we did that.... :D  :D  :D

The log sits in a cradle on top of a flower bed. The bed and the cradle add almost 3 feet to the height. I'd sooner block the saw up on the level parking lot... ;) ;) ;)

I was lookin' at the big check in one end and I thought of Stump Jumper right away.... ;D ;D ;D

metalspinner

That's awsome! What a find!8) 8)

What kind of Peterson do you have? How wide will your slabber cut?

I hope your buddy doesn't change his mind about the gift when he see's those big slabs coming off of there.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Burlkraft

I have an ATS 8. The slabber cuts 5'........... I don't think I'm gonna be able to sleep tonight.. :o  :o  :o

I'll offer him some slabs, but if ya don't compress it and glue it he has no interest in it.... :D  :D  :D

Radar67

Steve are you going to start cutting tomorrow?

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

metalspinner

Is the trailer already loaded and hitched?  Don't forget the camera and extra batteries. ;D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Burlkraft

Nahhh...can't this weekend...and next weekend is the WM party in this area so probably the week after next.

I gotta have some time ta round up some help...I think this one is more than Beenthere and I can handle... If we were both workin'...Who would supervise.... ???  ???  :D  :D

WDH

What a whack of a log.  When I saw the first post, I thought that you were joking :).  Heck no, you are really gonna saw that thing :o.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Burlkraft and I are scheming on dis one. Its just to "Big" not to be an event. I'm going to give a jingle to the utherside of da world in a day or two and see if we can escalate the festivities. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Betta get da biggest of the Logrite arch heah too....... ;D

Dat's a big-un alright.   :)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

If you are selling tickets, reserve a front-row seat for me.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Burlkraft

Quote from: WDH on April 05, 2007, 11:52:47 PM
If you are selling tickets, reserve a front-row seat for me.

We happen to have a nice seat right up here where the tailers sit... :D :D :D

WDH

Gary_C

I might even be able to sneak away down I-90 to help. Let me know what day you plan to start.

Daren

I hear alot of guys wanting to "watch", Burlkraft I think you have your offloaders lining up  :D. With a log that size you are going to need all the help you can get  :o
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Burlkraft

Quote from: Daren on April 06, 2007, 06:31:12 AM
I hear alot of guys wanting to "watch", Burlkraft I think you have your offloaders lining up  :D. With a log that size you are going to need all the help you can get  :o

Ya comin' up... ???  ???  ???

Thank You Sponsors!