iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

San Diego after the fact

Started by kderby, October 24, 2007, 10:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kderby

I am wondering if there is a palatable way to send lumber to the area impacted by the fire.  Post burn there will be a lot of fence, animal sheds and outbuildings that will be needed.  That represents a market opportunity but I don't want to be an "ambulance chaser". 

Who has experience in this area  (hurricane, tornado earthquake)?  What do they need?  Lumber prices are very soft in my area.  I am milling fire salvage large dimension pine and fir.  These 20-40 inch logs would otherwise be ground into pulp.  Using my local network I could send a few truck loads of rough sawn lumber.  Does it need to be donated or can it be at cost.  Is profit out of the question?  Would that be kicking them while they are down?  Where is the line?

KD

Dan_Shade

money's money.  I wouldn't do it for free, but it's illegal to price gouge them. 

Personally, I'd go fair market value + maybe a discount depending on my costs.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ron Wenrich

I kind of think the free market will work in this case.  It works that way in the hurricane areas.  They need wood, we cut it.  If they need more wood than is being cut, then the price goes up, and more wood comes onto the market.

The best thing to do is to go through a broker.  If they need more wood, they'll up the price and bring on new producers.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

customsawyer

I would not recomend that you gouge them but if you have a service or product that they will need to rebuild than you are doing a good deed. You don't have to do things at cost as most of these folks live in that area and knew the dangers when they moved there. I will bet the big box stores isn't going to give them to much.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

logwalker

These areas that burned were mainly million dollar homes. They are directly threatened by fire every 1 out of 5 years. That number is probably going higher as climate changes. They are almost all insured for replacement value. Your homeowner's insurance will also go higher in years to come to pay these claims. So.California is facing very serious water shortages as we write. It was big news 2 weeks ago. They want to begin cutting the farmers share of the water.

Now my point. Why are they going to allow these people to rebuild in these areas? It makes about as much sense as rebuilding New Orleans. We will be back there in a few years also. I am tired of baling out these absurd situations.

kderby, encourage them to come up to your beautiful area with their insurance checks and build. Would make a lot more sense to me than giving them a handout to rebuild there.

Now I will get down from my soapbox. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

kderby

Thank you each for your responses. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Logwalker...the potential for them to take an insuranance check and move to Oregon was discussed in town today and we voted against it.  We will let them know as soon as they get here.

Best wishes from 'Please visit but don't expect to move here' Oregon.

kd

beenthere

kderby
But...betcha have a lot of houses for sale, if you are in the depressed housing market like the market talk nowdays. Might be hard to convince someone with a house for sale, to not sell it to a San Diegoan.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

I worked in Oregon in 1968 and in 1972.  The attitude then was not to come into Oregon.  Native borns were the only ones accepted.  Seems like the attitude still persists. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dan_Shade

talk to arizona before inviting the california folks in ;)

i like california, it keeps them all in one spot  :D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

spencerhenry

what kind of fir are you talking about, doug-fir? i might be interested in some logs.

jpgreen

I've been turned down on homeowners insurance 3 times now.  It is a mess, and it's getting worse. The insurance companies sure want to rake in the money, but when they have to pay, they run.

$1200 a year is the cheapest I can get on my house (900 square feet) through my mortgage company, and they won't insure my other home.

My brother inlaw farms 10 percent of the Sacramento river delta's pear crop, and has a huge packing facility. The gov has kicked him in the nuts for the last time with immigration issues, etc., and now they want to shut down much of his water supply, and tax him heavily for what he uses.  All which was supposed to be grandfathered in.  He's moving on next year..  ::)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

kderby

JPGreen, I didn't hear an answer to my question about rough sawn market after a disaster like the one in San Diego.  Your perspective would be much appreciated.

SpencerHenry they are douglas fir logs and I bought two truckloads. They scaled out at over 12mbf gross.  I expect to recover over scale and I'm paying under $400/mbf delivered.  There have been times when premium pine logs have come here from Arizona.  The transport costs killed the deal well before three sixty a gallon diesel.  One cull log and the scales tip from profit to loss.

Thanks to the other commentators. :)

jpgreen

Just some thoughts...

I heard on the radio today some are already rebuilding. I think fencing would be the last item to worry bout' rebuilding. Don't think that would do to well, but maybe.

Now if you had dimentional lumber stamped and graded you could sell truck loads, but most contractors don't want to work with rough sawn.

The real money I think would be interior moldings trim shelving etc.  Pine.

solodan

Quote from: jpgreen on October 27, 2007, 12:22:34 AM

The real money I think would be interior moldings trim shelving etc.  Pine.

Pat's right, I've thought that I should go down there with the slabber, slab some burned logs, surface them and then sell overpriced tables and bar tops back to them. I would give them a map to Oregon, but they'd have to drive through the Real California, the one with trees mountains and yes water, lots of water. :D  I'm still voting for two states if it ever comes up.

CALSAW

;D :D

You got your slabber then?
Lucas 827 w/ slabber

jpgreen

You guys feel that quake last night?

Hey Dan-  I'll hook up the LT-40 and come down and gitcha..   ;D

Calsaw-

You ever fish out of Lawson's?.  My old fishing hole..  ;D

solodan

Calsaw, yeah I got the slabber about a month opr two ago. :)

JP, yeah I felt the quake, and I'm about 160 mile away. :o I'm sure Calsaw felt it, hes closer than that.

CALSAW

I have to confess that I didn't know about the quake until I heard it on the news last night. ::)

JP, I don't fish out of Lawson's, I am much closer to Bodega Bay.

Dan, How do you like the slabber? Are you using Lucas chain?
Lucas 827 w/ slabber

solodan

I like the slabber. :), but I still use my Alaskan if I need just one slab out of a log.  I have been using the Superskip that Bailey's makes up. I think it's Oregon 404 ripchain, two cutters, ten skip. 8)

Thank You Sponsors!