iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1st Sawmill purchase - Accessories

Started by Aktundra, September 24, 2012, 02:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aktundra

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new mill, either ML26 or LT10. While the accessories seem to help the job, they are really adding to the price. My budget really is $4,000 and it is being pushed...

I have been set on Woodmizer for the last several years. However that was when I could get LT10 for $3,000 plus shipping. Now that the LT10 might cost me more, I am looking at Norwood's mill.

My question is, are the extensions really necessary? I am building a 16x20 cabin (hence the mill purchase) and want to make some beams with the mill, so I am purchasing the extensions. Would I be better off milling these couple longer beams with my Chainsaw mill than spending money on these extensions? Also seems like I could add my own extensions.

While it may not be alot to some of you guys, this is a pretty hefty investment for me. I also am buying my property to build so the budget cannot be stretched anymore. I know these are starter mills and 5K is probably alot for them. At the same time, used mills are not an option for me (not really alot around & rather buy new).

ML26  (with shipping $5,000)

10 Blades
Cam Dogs
8' Extension

LT 10 (with shipping $5,000)

10 blades
4' Extension ($400  :o)
Shipping

Thanks, just need a quick sanity check before I make this big purchase!

Tree Feller

If you can swing the money, get the extensions. I'm sure they will come in very handy for sawing lumber other than the beams for your cabin.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Woodsrover

If you're leaning towards a Norwood, I would get one bed extension and skip the cam dogs.  I bought a cam dog and never installed it....Don't really think it's necessary.  After my initial two cuts on a can't I almost never clamp the log down.  Spend the extra money on a cover for the head.  If you can swing it, get the higher horsepower engine too.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have never owed a Norwood. But I have looked at their website. They make some very good saws judging from their information.

But the mill I chose almost 2 years ago was the Wood-mizer. I helped a friend for 18 years sawing with his WM and there is 4 or 5 Wood-mizers within 50 miles of my mill.

Before I pulled the trigger, I asked myself.....Wonder why so many sawyers who run a band-mill have a Wood-mizer?

Over those years I learned the customer service from WM was top of the line and very fast and friendly. My mill runs stationary and is very well built.
I have never regretted buying a Wood-mizer and would do it again.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

I can saw 20 footers on my mill,never have yet. Get the extension. One reason is more room to get the head out of the way and you have more room to put a log on instead of inches you will have feet to play with,with a 16 foot log. I did not know this until I started sawing. I just got the added length just in case.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ladylake

Don't know but isn't the Norwood a little more heavy duty than the LT10, maybe more like the LT15.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Okrafarmer

You will enjoy whichever mill you get. The Norwood, you will have to assemble, and that could take you a good while, depending on what tools you have available, and how much time you can devote to it per day. However, when you are done, you will have a very thorough understanding of how it works, and trouble-shooting and fixing it will be easier as you own it.

You will never regret having the bed extensions. Could you make them yourself? Maybe, some people do, but unless you're really good at fabricating metal, I wouldn't recommend it.

Two of my cousins run older Norwoods, and they really love them. They are a good mill. You may be getting a little more bang for your buck with the Norwood, too. But the LT-10 is a high-quality machine, and you have the backing of a proven high-quality service team in the Woodmizer people. Norwood's service is not so bad, but can't seem to compare with Woodmizer's, IMO. Having said that, you are your own expert mechanic by the time you assemble your Norwood.

So, anyhow, welcome to the Forum. I am guessing by your user name, that you live in the greater Yukon Valley? Or somewhere else in Alaska?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Chuck White

AKtundra; There is a Wood-Mizer dealer in Anchorage!

As to which is the better mill, the ML26 or LT10, you'll have to determine that yourself.

Good luck in your search.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

Too me a LT10 just looks too light, a LT15 looks nice, the Norwood 2000 also looked nice, never saw a ML26   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Riggs

I have the ML26 with 2 4 foot  extensions. You'll eventually use them, The cam dogs weren't an option when I bought mine, and I haven't bought them...yet. The advantage (or some may see it as a disadvantage) of the Norwood is that you assemble the whole thing. I enjoyed the assembly, plus it gives you a good feel for where everything is and how it works. I have nothing but good to say about Norwood, and I'm sure I'd be the same way if I had a WM I don't think you can go wrong with the two you have it narrowed down to. Good luck and keep us posted.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

MotorSeven

If you know how to weld and have the equipment you can make your own extensions pretty easily(I did). If not, bite the bullet and buy them with the mill because chainsawing out 20+ ft beams is not what I would consider "fun" ;)
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

oklalogdog

AKtundra

You might take a look at the Timberking 1220.  I purchased one a couple of months ago - very heavy built saw, and can be easily adapted to be totally portable.  I have one extension and can cut a little over 18' with no problem.
Amateurs built the Ark - Professionals built the Titanic

TK 2000, TK 1220, Belsaw M14, John Deere 7610 with loader, Ford 9N.

prittgers

You can get blades ground and set at the Woodmizer dealer who ships from Anchorage.  Parts are stocked there, also. Since your blade is made of 180 or so tiny wood chisels its worth a lot to have someone who precision ginds and sets each tooth.  If you visit Woodmizer in Anchorage uou can actually try out several models on real logs.  Call Parker at 907.360.2497. 
Parker Rittgers
Professional Sawyer, Retired, well, not really !
WoodMizer Alaska | 907.360.2497 cell 336.5143 office BevelSider.com ? Everything BevelSider
prittgers@aksamill.com

prittgers

Where in Alaska will you be sawing?  An LT10 or LT15 comes on a pallet that simply slides over onto a snow machine sled and away you go to those remote cabin sites.
Parker Rittgers
Professional Sawyer, Retired, well, not really !
WoodMizer Alaska | 907.360.2497 cell 336.5143 office BevelSider.com ? Everything BevelSider
prittgers@aksamill.com

nbaynes

i have a LT10 with the 7 foot extension.  so i can saw 18 feet.  i rarely saw anything over 12. i have some issues with the LT10.   the log clamp simply does not work(although redesigned on the new ones).  Also the whole machine wobbles somthing terrible with a heavy cut in hardwood, although again i see some design changes that may help with that in the nedw model.  i am upgrading after one year of ownership and not likely to another woodmizer.  also i needed a couple of 36 foot beams for a timberframing project,  a good axe and an alaskan mill did an awesome job of making long beams and way cheaper than extension needed to do that kinda of length.

Okrafarmer

nbaynes, I'm guessing that you put your LT-10 to the max and outgrew it.  ;) The LT-10 is an entry level mill for small-capacity use. It allows someone to have Woodmizer quality at a low start-up cost.
The LT-15 is much more ruggedly built. My friends in Micronesia use theirs to mill tropical hardwoods, harder than anything that grows naturally in the US.  :)

Having said that, there are other good saws out there, in every size range.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Meadows Miller

Gday

Welcome to The Forum Aktundra  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Either mill will do a bloody great job for you comes down to what you want and you seem to be leaning towards the Norwood  ;) But you seriously need to get you a couple of  logrite_cool logrite_cool tools wink wink nudge nudge they are the ducks nuts Mate ;) :D ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Okrafarmer

Those little  8) with the blue stick represent Logrite tools, Aktundra.  ;)

Mike@Norwood

Hi AkTundra

If I may chime in here

Those new to sawing quite often find themselves undecided/unsure on accessories and have budget concerns.  In those circumstances I recommend considering starting out with the base sawmill. You'll quickly get acclimated with the machine and get a better feel for what you need versus want. Then from there you can grow your operation having a better gauge on what you actually need.

So if you feel you can get by without the extra extensions for the time being, they can always be added down the road. The only difference you'll pay is shipping. That'll give you a window to recoup some of your investment rather than over stretch your initial budget. Just trying to help  smiley_smug01

(Note: engines are not considered accessories and there will be an increase in price to upgrade in the future)

Mike at Norwood

Sixacresand

I have a LT10, which I bought to see if I liked milling.  And I do enjoy milling.   It does some pretty work. If you buy a used LT10, make sure the clamp works properly. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Aktundra

Thanks for all the replies. I've got a couple Logrite tools already! Very nice tools! 

I want to get the accessories now because shipping to Alaska is expensive and I'm making a trip up with a trailer, so I'm collecting what I can!

I might actually end up welding up my own rails. Anyone know the size of the rails for the Norwood? Seems like their extensions are pretty reasonably price. If I go with Woodmizer, their extensions seem a little pricey.

dboyt

If you have to decide between extensions and the larger engine option, I recommend the larger engine.  Besides being faster, I believe they use less fuel.  The 13 h.p. Honda engine on the ML26 is well matched to the machine.  I've used WoodMizer's sharpening service to sharpen blades on my previous (Timber Harvester) mill and been very pleased with them.  As far as I know, they'll sharpen blades for any machine, and will also sell blades any length you need.  My experience with Norwood's customer support has been outstanding.  The people I talked with have actually assembled and used the mills, and are very knowledgeable.  Only replacement parts I've needed are saw blades, but they were quick to ship them.  Plan on starting out with at least 20, 30 would be better.  It took me two days to assemble my MX34, but I would have done it much quicker if I'd been better about reading the instructions.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: dboyt on September 28, 2012, 02:49:47 PM
I would have done it much quicker if I'd been better about reading the instructions.

:D :D :D We live and learn.  :D :D :D   I'm the same way.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Aktundra

Bought ML26 today! Very excited!  8) I've wanted to buy a sawmill since working on a remote Alaska river and meeting the most talented woodworker and sawyer! That was eight years ago. Now it's finally coming together.

Won't be putting it together for another month until I drive it home! You guys will be hearing more from me. I have only helped a friend with his sawmill, so I am definitely in for a learning experience. I'm just hoping after the cabin is built, I will have convinced my dad that a sawmill was worth the investment.

Slingshot

Aktundra,
         I'm sure you will like the ML26. I've only seen them in ads and U-tube videos and
they seem to be well built mills. But I have owned and used the Norwood LM Mark4 and the
LM 2000 and have nothing but good to say for both of them.

Happy sawing  :)

Thank You Sponsors!