iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawdust collector/blower question

Started by OneWithWood, January 27, 2004, 07:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

What size (hp and duct) blower would I need to suck the sawdust away from my WM LT40 and route outside my barn to deposit in a dump truck?  I would like to place the dust collector in the 4 foot tall space over the kiln.  The distance to the mill would be approximately 30 feet.  The distance from the blower to the dump truck would be approximately 25 feet.  I would also like to eventually hook up a radial arm saw, jointer and a planer/molder to the collector.  The machines will probably be about a 30 foot max run to the unit.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

J_T

You plan on buying ready made or building? Man Iknow built one blower is in top of barn piped with PVC works great planer shavings can be a little trickey at times .He has lots of drops on his unit as it is in constance use.
Jim Holloway

ronwood

OneWithWood,

Bibbyman posted a thread sometime back that shows his setup. If I get some time later today I will do a search and see if I can find it. If I remember right I think he was using a blower from Grizzly. With his Super that he now owns I not sure how well it works.

Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

OneWithWood

Yes, I remember that post.  I like the way he hooked up the mill.  I would like more detailed info and I was hoping he might chime in here.  I am also interested in what others have done.
Building the unit myself is a possibility but I do not have any brakes to fab a squirrel cage.  I did see a book on e-bay detailing how to build one.
One With Wood

J_T

One sorce of blowers is junk street sweper I have some on a cottonpicker I plan to use had some on a car wash but sold them they had 25hp motors on them. I try to build everything..
Jim Holloway

ronwood

Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

OneWithWood

Ron,
Excellent site!  That is what I have been searching for.  I just have not gotten down far enough on my google results  :P
The more I read the more plausible building one sounds.  Lots to learn  :P :P ??? :P :P :)
One With Wood

Larry

OWW,
I used the Static Calculator on the Bill Pentz site to figure out the air flow I needed (you will need Excell on your machine to run it).  After I got that figured out I went to Don P's calculator
https://forestryforum.com/members/donp/Blowercalc.htm to get the rpm the blower needs to run at for the required air flow and the HP required.

Do a little playing with each calculator and you will soon see that the biggest pipe and blower is the way to go.  You can run a bigger blower and pipe at less rpm with less hp and get better results.

I used an old blower off of a piece of farm equipment.  Right now it is only hooked up to the planer but eventually I hope to hook up the whole shop to it.

Hope DonP sees this thread as he helped me a lot (and no Don I never did find the cat that disappeared on the blower test run). :D ;D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

East_West_Dan

I would think a minimum of 5 HP for the blower with ducting of 7 - 9" depending on the cfm's the blower runs at. Even though a smaller blower would pull the dust from the mill your going to need a lot of volume to go the distance. The folks at Oneida Air Systems are real helpful. www.oneida-air.com

Dan

smwwoody

I have found that you can push sawdust further than you can suck it
I am running the same blower that bibby is and I have 18 inches of 5" suction  pipe and 130 feet of 4" blower pipe.  this unit is only on my mill

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Corley5

Future sawdust collection system for mill and planers.  Engine is a 110hp IH.  Machine was used to suck corn out of circular bins without unloading augers.  I originally bought it for the engine to run the mill.  I also got a BUNCH of pipe with it

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!