iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

alaskan sawmill info.

Started by old_hb, February 21, 2004, 09:10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

old_hb

Hi. Just got some long oak logs and would like to mill what I don't
use for making bowls. I've been in touch with a seller of alaskan sawmills, and he offered me a 36" one for a reasonable price. He also had a simpler device which lets one cut vertically w/ a chainsaw. Question: How much is enough to cut these logs? I have a Husky372 and a Stihl 360. Are these powerful enough?
 I would load them on my pickup truck, but they're way too heavy.

thanks, HB :P :P

Kevin

The simpler device is probably the mini mill which is suitable for taking the sides off the log but isn't as accurate as the Alaskan mill for milling lumber.
The size of the logs will determine how hard the saw will work.
The 372 will do it but I wouldn't use it full time for milling.
Bars over 24"should have an additional oil supply on the far end of the bar.

old_hb

Thanks. I just returned a 365 to northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company, because I'm oversupplied w/saws, but I don't want to buy something heavier than a 372. Have a great weekend. Hilel.

Oregon_Rob

I use my 372 to mill logs upto about 20-22". At the top end of the range it really starts to tax the saw. If you do get a 372, consider moddifing it or at least open up the muffler to let it breath better.
Also, if you go for the Alaskan III, weight is not much of a factor, the mill is supported durring the cut.
I would strongly consider the 066
Chainsaw Nerd

old_hb

Thanks,
I'm assuming you mean the Stihl. I am so over-chainsawed it isn't
funny. Currently, I have (some are in my mountain cabin in VA, some in SC) two 372's, one 365, two stihl 36 (one is a 360) and a
335. I went crazy on ebay and bought some echo's (a 345 and 340). All of them, I bought brand new. Still, I've been looking at the prices on some used 394's for use with the saw, but I'll also look out for a 66. Thanks again.

Wes

looks like you could use atleast one big saw in your collection , huskey 380 series and up or stihl 460 or larger.the bigger the better. ;D

Stan

An 066 on EBay is gonna run more'n $400, unless the seller declares some problem with it.
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Thank You Sponsors!