iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

crane mat weight

Started by Sawyerfortyish, May 24, 2019, 05:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawyerfortyish

got some crane mats I need to move they are 8'' thick 4' wide and 16 feet long made out of hardwood. Anyone have an idea of what each would weigh?

Logger RK

I bought some last year also & im curious there weight also. 

lxskllr

It's about 43cf of wood. You could guesstimate the species, and look up weights online; add a bit for the hardware.

Magicman

The Red Toolbox on the left is your friend.

An 8 X 8 X 16 = 85.4 bf X 6 = ~512 total bf per mat.  Depending upon the species, Ash would be ~2000 pounds and Oak would be ~2600 pounds.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

From my experience handling them with a forwarder, I would guess around 2500 pounds.
Too many irons in the fire

jmouton

a 4 ft wide x 1 ft thick x 20 ft long crane mat  weighs approx 4000 pds if that helps 
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Magicman

Again referring to the Red Toolbox for jmouton's example:

A 12" X 12" X 20' = 240bf X 4ea. = 960 bf total for the mat.  

Ash would weigh 3800 pounds and Red Oak would weigh 4992 pounds.  You can check the Red Toolbox for the weights of other species.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Skip

Depends on new or used . 4,000 sounds about right for used by, the time you factor in the bolts and hardware and dirt and rocks.

Thank You Sponsors!