iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade Logging Equipment

Started by Rob30, November 05, 2017, 07:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob30

I am looking for ideas for adding some spikes/forks to my bucket for piling logs. I have been using my double bale spear, but it is not wide enough, hard to balance the logs since they are only about 3ft apart. The other problem is I can't push on piles of slash well because it pokes through towards the grill of the tractor.
So I want to add some bars to the bucket, what length would you suggest? I am thinking 18 inches, don't want anything too long so I don't have a hard time moving in the bush. I also am thinking that having the bars turned up slightly will make it easier to push snow, dirt and slash with out digging in too much.
Any other ideas for quick home made ideas would be great as well. I can weld and have manufactured a lot of my farm accessories.

ehp

just add a set of forks to the bucket, its done all the time and make it so you can pull the forks off when you need to, 4 ft to 6 ft spacing is normal and depending on how strong your tractor is 42 inch to 48 inch long forks

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Post a pic of your machine and we can give you better advice. 

You may consider an extra long bolt on toothbar similar to a manure scoop would have. Say 12" long by 1" diameter rebar tines on a stout cutting edge plate so you dont smile the bucket (forks tend to do this alot on light duty buckets.)

It should be able to curl a log back on the tines and be handy with combing up brush.  A hydraulic thumb would make it very efficient.  With a thumb you dont need to be centered under the logs balance point and you can go down hill without dumping them all over then pushing around trying to recover the dang thing.  Just curl fully down, clamp, curl back and go.
Praise The Lord

Crusarius

here is what I ended up doing. so far it works great, but I really need loaded tires. Have had some major pucker factor trying to move loads downhill when realizing the back tires are not on the ground.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,97665.msg1507985.html#msg1507985

mike_belben

Yeah reverse uphill is always a pain.

Concrete is by far the cheapest ballast.  $4/60 lbs in any shape you want.
Praise The Lord

Rob30

Sorry no pics, damb daylight savings time means it is dark when I get off work.
However the tractor I have been using is a MF 2635, 75 hp 4x4 with a loader, I have a skid steer type quick attach loader, which I have a bucket and 2 prong bale spear for. It is my primary tractor and in my opinion a little too pretty for bush work. I also have a worn out belarus 500 (70+hp) which I use in the bush as much as possible, much uglier, better suited for bush work in that sense. It also has a loader which is old and i don't mind modifying. I have chains for this one. I also have a manure bucket for it, which works good for raking up slash. Tires are loaded on both tractors, I have yet to ever need extra weight on the rear end.  This summer I bought a belarus 610 (70+hp) as well, I need to get the starter fixed it draws way to much power when trying to crank, otherwise it works ok. No Loader. I am looking for one though. Hoping to find a loader with a few extras, like a set of forks.
I like the belarus tractors for bush work, they are cheap hp, and I don't mind their quirks. They are also very heavy so not nearly as tippy as the MF, Also much lower geared and they are 70 hp without turbo, so they are more powerful at low rpms. They also have a pretty powerful separate hydraulic system.
I just bought a 3pth splitter that I plan on turning into a firewood processor (still making up a plan), which will be powered by one of the belarus tractors.

mike_belben

Tear down the starter motor and solenoid.. Shine up the copper plunger contact washer real good and also the copper segmented commutator (like piano keys wrapped around a shaft) with sandpaper and scrape the graphite out of the segments between each "key" with a razor.  Blow it all out, scuff up the brushes and wipe the permanent magnets down then reassemble with fresh grease in the bushings.  I bet itll come back to life.  Having graphite pack into the gaps is what usually kills them.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!