iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mushrooms

Started by Autocar, April 23, 2018, 07:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

I was in southern Indiana over the weekend and found 24 moral mushrooms then I get a call this afternoon and my friend found another 28 in the same spot today. Any one else finding any ?
Bill

ToddsPoint

If the temp around here would ever get above the 60's we might have a chance.  A cool, fairly wet and late spring.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

bluthum

In my realm they started up with great promise a few weeks ago then it turned back cold. I've found some since but I fear it will be a poor harvest for me. 

Corley5

Still lots of snow in our mushroom woods ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

LeeB

Seems to be a good year for some folks in my area but I searched in vain. Lindy found one quite by accident the day after I left to come back to work.  :-[

Any particular type of location or terrain I should focus on? I've heard everything from under sycamores on a creek, under ash, to under cedar.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

JohnW

I'm sure they're out there.  Somebody put 3 on the counter at the chainsaw shop near Salem last week.  I'm no good at hunting them, nor have I taken the time yet.

Chuck White

I keep forgetting whether the cap on Morels is fastened to the stem, up inside or at the bottom of the cap!  :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Weekend_Sawyer

The ones I find are fastened at the stem.
And they haven't killed me, not once.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Woodcutter_Mo

I found 1 a few weeks ago, week later found 10 more in the same spot, and over the weekend I found 25 more. I plan to go out today if I get a chance and do a more thorough look. With the rain yesterday and warm temps in the forecast I think there will be a good crop by this weekend  ;D
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Woodcutter_Mo

The ones I found last weekend 

-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Chuck White

It looks like I suspected, the stem is attached to the skirt of the cap!

There's no overhanging cap!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: Chuck White on April 26, 2018, 01:47:55 PM

Note that the stems (actually entire mushrooms) are hollow. There is a morel called a "half-free morel" that the cap over hangs the stem more. Have to look it up. They also have the completely hollow stem. I've only found one, and I don't recall if they are edible, although I believe they are but double check.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Chuck White

Thanks for the additional info, Woodcutter_Mo!

maple flats

I was going to look for some this week, we will have our first 60 degree days, then an 80. Last year I found some (about 30-35) in my leased sugarbush.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

chevytaHOE5674

Once the snow melts and it warms up there are a few places on the farm that grow good morels every spring.... 

Chuck White

Last year, I had about 12-15 of them sprouted right in the middle of my back yard!

I just mowed around them and then one day, they were big enough!  digin_2

Woodcutter_Mo

I wish they'd come up in my back yard. That'd save me several miles of zig-zagging through the woods getting covered with ticks :o

They're worth it though as long as I find several :)
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Chuck White

Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on April 26, 2018, 04:18:47 PM
Quote from: Chuck White on April 26, 2018, 01:47:55 PM

Note that the stems (actually entire mushrooms) are hollow. There is a morel called a "half-free morel" that the cap over hangs the stem more. Have to look it up. They also have the completely hollow stem. I've only found one, and I don't recall if they are edible, although I believe they are but double check.
I think that that's what Bibbyman posted quite some time back and he called them False Morels!

Woodcutter_Mo

It could be, I have also heared of the half-free morels called "false morels" as well. Here's the half free morel on the Missouri conservation site:
Half-Free Morel | MDC Discover Nature

Here's the ones I refer to as false morels:
False Morels | MDC Discover Nature
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Busysawyer

In MI we have verpa bohemica which is what my fellow morel hunters call false morel
 They actually look similar to the half free. We also have gyromita esculenta or beefstakes is what we call them. To me they look nothing like a morel.  I won't eat them but I know guys that have been eating them for 40 years without issue.  I guess they are poisonous to some people. We have decent morel production every year on our property and some years we have pulled over 20 pounds. Last couple years were weak though.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Chuck White

Anybody got any favorite recipes that apply to morels?

Weekend_Sawyer

My favorite way to have them is in angle hair pasta

prepare the pasta al dente. (Slightly under cooked)

in a frying pan saute garlic, onions and the cleaned mushrooms in butter with a little splash of white wine. Just before the onions are done, add in the pasta.
Salt and pepper to taste. Simple and delicious.

I also like them in any stews or soups I make and they are great in an omlet.

I'd like to have some right now.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Woodcutter_Mo

I agree, they are great in pasta. Also can be good on pizza. They are good in most dishes that require mushrooms, in place of the store bought mushrooms.

My personal favorite is saute them in butter with asparagus until they are carmelized. They make a good side dish like this. Or to add to pasta, also saute in a diced onion, some garlic, a couple diced sweet or mild peppers and a little salt a pepper. I also add some small leaf spinach and a little olive oil when the rest of the stuff is almost all the way cooked. I'd say some fresh basil could be added as well. Then pour it over the cooked pasta.

I like Weekend_sawyer's recipe with the wine added, I will have to give it a try  :)

-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

gww

I have been out three time over a few weeks and have a total of zero.  Not hearing of a bunch being found either.  Around here it is usually at the end of mushrooms around may first.  I wonder if that will be extended since it stayed so cold so much longer this spring?  I know my blooms on things are from two weeks to a month behind last year.  My uncle has found three little ones and mom has found one little ones and they have trees to check each year.  So far so bad.
Cheers
gww

DPatton

We enjoy them several ways. My favorite is to rinse and split them in half, allowing them to soak in salt water for 1-2 days in the refrigerator to get all the dirt and critters out of them. Rinse, then sauté them on the stovetop in a cast iron skillet with salted butter and plenty of fresh crushed garlic. Add some finely chopped onion and season. You'll want to get things caramelized but don't allow all of the moisture to evaporate off as you want to retaining some of the juices. then spoon them over a nice rare - medium rare ribeye or deer steak. Their flavor is unbelievable and that juice will make your steak amazing. 

Another common method is to split in half and soak in salt water. Rinse and pat dry. Dip in an egg wash and beer or milk mixture and bread them with finely ground cracker crumbs. (you can experiment with what crackers you want to use) Fry them in salted butter in a cast iron skillet until golden brown. 

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Thank You Sponsors!