iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Have any of you used this stream crossing product?

Started by dustyjay, January 11, 2014, 04:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustyjay

I have to cross a stream to get to my proposed building site. (Another permit, another headache.)
In my research I found a product I really like. It's a bottomless arch made from polymer instead of steel or alloy. The reduces weight and increases longevity. The open bottom preserves stream bed integrity and the installation looks much simpler, easier, and environmentally sensitive. I see that these have been used on logging roads and can handle the weight of a fully loaded log truck and trailer.
My only concern is about longevity, specifically as it relates to the sills. That being said I think these would get me a nice crossing quickly and preserve the environment. If I need to dig and reset the sills in 10-15 years, that would be a time to put something more expensive and permanent in.
Here's a link to the company's description of the product. I can't find anybody selling it in the US. Can you?? http://www.soleno.com/produit.php?id=54

http://www.soleno.com/telechargement/Soleno_enviro_span_en.pdf

The stream I have to cross has a 50″ width today in the pouring rain, with good approaches and a 180 acre watershed upstream. It does usually dry up for 3-6 weeks in August.

Has anybody used these or heard about them? Was anything like this put in in VT after Irene? I'd be glad to hear your thoughts.
Thanks!
Proper prior planning prevents pith poor performance

thecfarm

I've only see them at a show in Bangor ME.Seem like the panels are 3 feet wide? I have no idea how they would work in the real world.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mark Wentzell

Why not just go with concrete sills? If this method will require you to replace the sills in ten years (or sooner) why not just put in something that will last right now?

coxy

they do work I have seen them only for a few months at a time don't know how long they are good for     BUT if you are having trouble with permits now just think what it will be in 15-20 years     if its 20-30,000 for the right bridge now 15-20 years down the road it my be 40-60,000 if it was me I would do it right the first time      just my 3 cents

Ed_K

There's a company in Boston Ma. selling them Their supposed to have a 7' wide one in the works.When I talked to a rep, he said they were good for 40 yrs. Best part you can dig it up and move it to another site. Load bearing was 70k.
Ed K

dustyjay

Ed do you remember the name of the company? Thanks all.

One reason to do it this way now is to focus time and resources to maximum advantage (the house itself).
Proper prior planning prevents pith poor performance

Southside

Is there a reason you can not use traditional poly culverts?  Unless they washed out they would be a permanent installation. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ed_K

Dustyjay, I'll have to see if our highway boss still has the brochere.We talked to the rep at a wholesale co. called ribco in North Adams Ma.
Ed K

plasticweld

We used two flat bed trailers with all of the wheels and gear cut off. The decks were 48 foot long, the stuff we cut off and sold to the scrap yard almost paid for the trailers, after some re-decking in spots they were laid across the creek on banks of the creek that were pushed up with the dozer. After the decks were placed they were then covered with about a foot of dirt it gave us a 16 wide bridge that would be transportable in two sections for about $2000 when we where all done.

coxy

Quote from: plasticweld on January 11, 2014, 08:22:57 PM
We used two flat bed trailers with all of the wheels and gear cut off. The decks were 48 foot long, the stuff we cut off and sold to the scrap yard almost paid for the trailers, after some re-decking in spots they were laid across the creek on banks of the creek that were pushed up with the dozer. After the decks were placed they were then covered with about a foot of dirt it gave us a 16 wide bridge that would be transportable in two sections for about $2000 when we where all done.
was this just a skidder bridge or was it for log trucks to ;D

thenorthman

I would be concerned about erosion from underneath, probably work pretty good for rocky ground, but if its a sensitive stream its probably mush.

The poly culverts arn't real expensive and two guys could probably move a 24" one into place by hand.  And you still need a few loads of gravel, but at least with a culvert your not relying on whatever the sides and bottom of the original stream was made out of.
well that didn't work

1270d

I followed a truck load of culverts into one of plum creeks yards the other day and there was quite a few of these on the load.  They must be using or starting to use them for what its worth.

Offthebeatenpath

I know the metal bottomless culverts can have concrete sills or metal brackets that are fastened by rod driven deeply into the ground- either one should last much longer than a wooden sill.  That said, this fall I had to replace the rip rap inside one that the state placed under a rail-trail.  The culvert was being undercut below the bottom wings and the stone inside had washed out because it was too small.  So there are ways that they can fail, but proper installation should prevent those issues.  I do like how they act as fish passages and keep the water moving more naturally (as opposed to smooth bottomed round culverts).
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

plasticweld

Quote from: coxy on January 12, 2014, 06:50:33 AM
Quote from: plasticweld on January 11, 2014, 08:22:57 PM
was this just a skidder bridge or was it for log trucks to ;D

You could use it for the log truck also the only 2 differences would bet that you would have to have better embankments that would not move. also a support in the middle. I would still add the layer of dirt. I was pretty impressed with how well they hold up

Thank You Sponsors!