iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mushroom ID

Started by metalspinner, December 22, 2007, 01:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

I've got this big maple that needs to come down.  It has been stuck at least twice by lightening.  There are these beautiful mushrooms growing on it.  My son thinks he is in heaven.  Mushrooms, fungus, and lichen are all he can talk about the past few months.  Can anyone ID these?  He is not allowed to touch until we can confidently identify that they are OK. ;)

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

sawguy21

They are beautiful. One old timer said "All mushrooms are edible, some only once"
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom

I've got a buddy that likes stuff like that too.

This one was a shelf fungus, on a water oak, and inedible according to what I could find.  Perhaps yours is the same.  They turn woody.  Some can be carved.

It probably wouldn't hurt him to handle it if he doesn't try to eat it.   I'm not much on identification so be leary of any fruiting fungus. :)

I think it is so neat that he is interested.

Tell him not to touch one of these.  It's is an Amanita  muscaria, and it can be deadly. 

metalspinner

QuoteI think it is so neat that he is interested.

Tom,
That is putting it mildly. ;D  He is driving his second grade teacher crazy with the mushroom and fungus discussion. ;D  We bought him a beautifully illustrated book book about mushrooms, but it's all wrapped up.

Tom

Tell him that I'm fascinated too, and will look forward to his teaching me some stuff about them.  :)

metalspinner

mr. tom,
dad's friend just told me they are oyster mushrooms.  they  can be  cooked in butter. small ones taste better.  dad   said you are an entomologist. I ordered some praying mantis eggs about a week ago.  :)
Nick

HOOF-ER

They are most certainly look like oysters or Elephant ears. They come out usually in Nov- Jan. There are some that look similar .** To tell for sure the fins on the bottom should run up to the wood.  If there is a smooth stem for an inch of two , they are different and not oysters. **They are my favorite. Always grow on dead wood. Usually softwoods cottonwood, willow, etc. They nice and light colored and should have a fresh smell. As they age the turn shades of brown. Pick em wash em batter em fry em. We freeze some and put them in spaghetti and anything else that you would like mushrooms in. They are pretty rich and taste real good to me, got to be careful and not overeat. Wish I had some.... maybe I go have a look we have had a lot of rain.
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

Tom

Praying Mantis are neat, Nick.

I find them and Giant Walking Stick insects when I'm sawing.  I'll put them on top of my hat and they'll sit up there all day.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNcIUIULafw

http://www.small-life.co.uk/page1.html  Here's some good questions and answers.

Furby

WOW! :o
Thanks Tom, I didn't know they eat mice and such.
That was cool! 8)

Roxie

Well, ya learn something new every day.  I sure didn't know that, but I knew they could bite (found that out a few years back pulling weeds). 
Say when

Norm

Now that's cool. We see them at our sawshed in the summer. My buddy had one in a terrarium and we'd catch flies to feed it. They'd be flying around and he'd snatch them out of the air in a blink.

Hey Nick keep us updated when you get the eggs in.

Texas Ranger

Hmm, wonder where they got that baby Texas praying mantis?  The big ones take down rabbits, and an occasional yankee tourist that gets a little to close. :o
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Patty

WOW! I had no idea a praying mantis would kill a mouse. I like the walking sticks, they are on the front of our house through the summer....those and the cute little leopard frogs that change to the color of whatever they are on.

I now have a far greater respect for the praying mantis.   :o   

I had no idea one could buy the eggs, that is so cool. Just  one more thing to add to the list of what to get for my grandson as he grows up. I am already planning next years garden to introduce him to all the cool vegetables and flowers...not to mention the bugs and worms.  :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

metalspinner

Patty,
A kit can be purchased through the Discovery Store.  The eggs are available December through March I think.  You need to send away for those.  We are still waiting their arrival.

Tom,
That UTube link had us occupied for over an hour.  We were placing bets on all the animal vs animal videos.  I was a little disappointed to see the hornet win out over the mantis.

QuoteWe see them at our sawshed in the summer. My buddy had one in a terrarium and we'd catch flies to feed it. They'd be flying around and he'd snatch them out of the air in a blink.

Norm,
Your buddy has really quick hands to catch those flys like that out of thin air. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!