iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tornado

Started by hydeoutman, May 05, 2003, 06:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hydeoutman

Just saw Fox News: They are stating that the twister was a number 4, which is big. Are all you Forum guys and gals okay down there if not, do you need help?

hydeoutman

DanG

Yikes!  I hadn't heard about it till I saw this thread, and looked it up on MSNBC.  We got lots of folks in that neighborhood, and I hope we hear from them soon.
Prayers go out to all the families who lost loved ones, and/or property.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bibbyman

We had about 3" of rain in one big down pour Sunday morning about sunup.  Flushed out all the local branches and the creek ran bank full all day.  

Tornado watches out all day and into the night.

It really got to looking nasty again about sundown and got bad after dark as the storms came through that did the devastation back around Kansas City.  But I could see no damage this morning so it looks like our neighborhood lucked out this time.  
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bro. Noble

I wouldn't have even known it stormed as it was all north of us.  I'm worried about a good friend in Stockton Mo.  They had a lot of damage.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Larry

The tornados all stayed 20-30 miles south of me.  We just had a little rain and some sunshine.

From the local news sounds like the twisters started real close to the Kansas/Missouri line between Kansas City and Joplin and headed east.  No real telling how many there were.

Hope the best for everybody.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Fla._Deadheader

Glad to hear all you Missouri boys are OK. Looked pretty bad on the news today.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

sawwood

The Tornado was north of me, but just about 2 miles from
 work. We looked at the damage to day where a truck plant
 use to be. Flat as a pan cake. They say it was a F4.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Tillaway

Who hasn't checked in? Arky?  You still with us?  Good to hear you all are all right.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Fla._Deadheader

Tennessee caught hell also. Anybody hear from Woodbeard, Bud man, solidwoods, J-T, or anybody else????
   First, it is ridiculed;

Bibbyman

Here is a link to a tornado story I posted quite some time ago.

The Tornado Moved the Well!
Sawing since '94

Bud Man

Nothing to report in the Memphis area but lots of tornado warnings and acompaning rains( 4-5 inches) we were lucky,  not so for Jackson , which is 65 miles from me and as reported got creamed , lives and property.  I'm concerned for JT cause he's near Dyersburg which got hit too.  ???
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Bibbyman

Storms again last evening.  Got our slab pile and lumber moved,  truck under shed, etc. before it hit.  We lucked out again and the worst of it went to the south of us.  Heard this morning that a little town about 30 miles south of us had 2" hail,  trees blown down.  A couple of counties over had three tornadoes spotted.

About 4:00 pm.  

Sun broke through right at sundown and left this nice rainbow for about 10 minutes.

Sawing since '94

ElectricAl

Bibbyman,

Thanks for the update. We saw 50 red dots on a map showing last nights tornados. It was hard to tell how close they were to Forestry Forum Members.

Just thinking of our friends.

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Bro. Noble

The storm last night followed nearly the same path as the earlier one that did so much damage.  We have a member 'EJ'  who made a few posts and logs in some.  He lives near El Dorado Springs which was right in the path.  Hope he's OK.  

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Kevin_H.

It's my understanding that we had a couple of twisters around us last nite, I know that the warning system sounded three different times within about an hour, and we got some hail around 2" in size.

Our tornado warning lasted better than an hour, but 911 never stops, kind of weird running ambulance calls as the tornado sirens are wailing...

We had very little damage, I think just west of us, closer to the river may have had some.

The Dispatchers wanted to keep up with the storm so I went out and pulled up the NOAA web site, so they could watch the radar. Gotta love the T1 line.

Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

ElectricAl

Kevin,

I have had two close calls with death during storm watch as a Volunteer Fire Fighter.

The first one was when our town got a direct hit from a Micro Burst. Basically a Micro Burst is where air pressure builds up very quickly in the atmosphere. Then the pressure is sent straight back down to earth. The winds are in the 100 to 150 mph range straight down, then the air is forced sideways along the ground in every direction.
I almost had my face sliced off by a section of aluminum siding from the fire satiation. The big wind lasted less then 15 seconds. Just long enough to crap your pants. :o

The second time I was sitting in a 1973 chevy C65 fire truck. A blast of straight line wind pushed the truck 30-40 foot on wet concrete into a ditch. I had both feet on the break peddle so I know the wheels did not turn. The truck stayed on it's wheels but I lost 1200' of fire hose out of the back. ???

I am not a fan of the wind. >:(
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Kevin_H.

ElectricAl,
I've had a couple of those calls, You learn early on to carry an extra change of uniform... ;D

Most of mine where having to do with firearms...Let me tell this little story and then I will get this back on track...

we had a 10 year old child in a stand off with police...seems the child had a shotgun and would not let anyone close to him, we where standing by close to the scene when we heard 2 shots...the police started screaming for EMS, and running down the road with the child in their arms...

we started looking for wounds,but found nothing...come to find out, the PD had shot him with bean bags to disable him...

well after the call was done, I changed my pants and went to the store to get something for my gray hair... :o

Now back on track...weather channel say's we are going to get it again tomorrow...My customer called tonite and would still like to cut tomorrow...I told him I would call him in the morning and talk about it then... ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

ElectricAl

Kevin,

Don't forget about the lightning that can be 20min. in front of a super cell. When we were portable a jumbo cottonwood got hit 50' from where we were sawing. We saw the wall cloud coming but no lightning.

Boom.

Everyone took off running for the barn. The sawmill sat there idleing for over an hour until I got enough currage to go shut it off. ;D

J Beyer

I just missed the DanG weather there.  My co-driver and I picked up our load in Toronto, Canada on Friday at aobut 1830  CST and delivered it in Phoenix, AZ on Sunday at 2200 CST.  We were lucky enough to be through the area  before the storms hit.

Whenever I hear about a BIG DanG storm hitting anywhere, I always pray that everyone gets out safe and sound.

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Haytrader

Noble,

EJ would be Elijah Jones. I have his E mail addy so I will send him a "you OK?" note.
    Another round last night. Those poor folks around OKC will think the good lord has it in for them, hitting the same area again.
Haytrader

ElectricAl

Today our local office of the National Weather Service started to broadcast storm information about a storm that will effect the central Midwest Saturday, May 10th.

Normally the NWS does not get quite as revved up, but feel there is a significant threat.

What we are looking at is storms that will produce 70 mph winds, baseball size hail, very heavy rains, and Tornados. The NWS is warning of F3 (150mph) and F4 (220mph) Tornados.
Pull up your member map and sight a line from around Larry_Copas and SawWood North East towards just south of Wades place. This line will be north of Bibbyman and Mary's place, and 40 miles south of ElectricAl and Linda's. The problem is the way I understand the NWS info Whitepe and Rick might be in the path. :o

Also, the NWS stated this area has not seen this magnitude of threat in the last 10 years. This is pretty strong language for them. :(

So now we wait. ???

ElectricAl

Haytrader

Got an E mail from EJ  (Elijah Jones) stating he and his family are OK. He went on to say the town 10 miles from him was hit.
    Noble, he thanked you for being concerned. (for all of us)
Haytrader

Jason_WI

Them DanG twisters are nuttin to fool with.

Back in 98 there was an F3 that was close enough to hear and close enough to have insulation and tar paper fall on our land. It was 3 miles to the north. Sounded like jet engines running with lots of rumbling from all the thunder and light'n. It was erie with the sky black as coal and hardly any wind for a while.

That thing picked up a concrete silo and shifted it off of its foundation. :o

Everyone used to say that large twisters are extremely rare in Door county cause of the bay and lake that surrounds the peninsula. It started as a water spout in the bay and and came right onto land and made it half way through the county before the cool air from lake michigan killed it.

Here is a link to that twister:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/grb/Door.html

Jason

Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Fla._Deadheader

So far, Bud Man is the only one?? from Tenn. that has checked in. There are still about 6 others. I believe I have Solidwoods phone #. If I can find it, I will call him. No news, right now, is NOT good news??  Hope they are all OK and just lost phone service????
   First, it is ridiculed;

Bibbyman

Thunder here right now. Looks like the worst of it is north and west of us - between here and KC.  It's heading north and east.  Going to shut the PC back down for awhile.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!