iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

572 xp

Started by Pine Ridge, March 06, 2019, 08:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pine Ridge

I started a thread here probably a couple of years ago wondering when the 572 xp would be available here. I can't find the old one so I'll start a new one. Two of my buddies bought a couple of them last week at the local saw shop, I got to run one of them yesterday , made a couple cuts with it. I really liked it, revs and cuts fast and balanced good with the 20" bar he had on it. I really like my 372s, but sooner or later I'll have to have me a 572.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

weimedog

Not enough time on it to comment...BUT the one my friend purchased has had a week of full time use. He's happy with the saw. Says you do have to keep the RPM's up, something he has to "get used to", but if that is done the power is there. He run's a 24inch bar. Coming from 660's when I first started supporting his operations, 390's next, then to "tweaked" 372xpw builds, now has one of these...:) Follow up video in process..
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

HolmenTree

Too bad they're not coming with the new Husqvarna C85 chain as that was the chain supposedly to match the 572's powerband.
I understand Spike 60 says they have C85 in stock but the saws are coming in from the distributor with Oregon EXL chain.
Maybe the problem was the Husqvarna chain was only coming as .058 gauge??

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

weimedog

Fortunately Oregon and Husqvarna worlds seem to have kissed and made up, both chain options are pretty good. And the Oregon typically is less expensive. Good news is between Stihl RS and Oregon there are plenty of sources of .050 chain for those folks who run .050 or both brands....wonder how much the new Husqvarna Chain brings to the table?

One pleasant surprise is how well the "consumer" VersaCut bars appear to be standing up to commercial use out here. Won't know for certain for a year or so but the feed back from the few I've seen is much better than anticipated. No issues with delamination even at the coldest temps and the tips have survived to this point. Things continue like this, the question will be why spend the extra money on the some of the more expensive "light" bar options.... and I say again, cautiously optimistic! Not a definitive thing yet, just not enough time. But looking like the VersaCut is a great "bang per buck" option.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

ehp

462 is the same way , it cuts as long as you keep the rpms up, its just like running a ported saw which once you do the port timing numbers you are running a ported saw. I have ran the versacut bars some , I found they were a lot better than the older husky or Oregon bars . The EXL chain is a good chain as well and I like it to

outinthewood

Been running my 572 since June and very happy with it, new AT really keeps things on track without loosing rpms so much you would notice. Have done a job on the muffler and it runs a 28" with no problem. The air filter is very , very good as is the heat block between the cyl and carb. Also very good on fuel.

On the VersaCut, I've found them to be far better than the "old" Oregon and also again the "old" Husqvarna bars although the "black" Husqvarna bars are also very good. We can only get up to 20" VersaCut here a great shame as a 24" would be nice to try !

I've been trying the EXL and again have to agree that it's pretty good although I wouldn't be upset if I could only get LPX. Yet to try the C 85. I did a sale  of mixed hard and soft wood recently and the EXL was good in it all no problem between Beech on to Spruce and Douglas unlike the LPX which when filed for say Spruce would be a grabby nightmare in Beech. 

weimedog

We have the 24in bars here, I have two. Gave one to the fellow in the video to try, he was able to buy 5 from a local place. Wonder why you are having trouble finding them. Also wonder if the same formula that worked on the 562's to add "punch" or torque will work on the 572's...essentially more compression. 

outinthewood

The importer won't bring them in ! Now that may change as time passes.The most common bar used here is 18"/20" and do remember a guy saying to me one day " what do you want with that big long bar !" it was a 22"..... so I can sort of under stand the importer's stance. That said I'll have a look for a part # and try to order one again.

Back to the 572 I should also say that it's one of the best starting saws I've had ( along with my 461) and even after running out of fuel during the summer no problems going again.

weimedog

Quote from: outinthewood on March 08, 2019, 02:48:42 AM
The importer won't bring them in ! Now that may change as time passes.The most common bar used here is 18"/20" and do remember a guy saying to me one day " what do you want with that big long bar !" it was a 22"..... so I can sort of under stand the importer's stance. That said I'll have a look for a part # and try to order one again.

Back to the 572 I should also say that it's one of the best starting saws I've had ( along with my 461) and even after running out of fuel during the summer no problems going again.
Can you "eBay" them from the States, obviously the admis didn't like the links! Hope you got a quick look but really all you have to do is search Oregan VersaCut 24inch Husqvarna  ( Or Stihl ) and the right one show up..

EBAY LINKS REMOVED BY ADMIN, REFER TO RULES AT BOTTOM OF PAGE

MG2186

I'd send you one but shipping would be more than the bar cost I'm afraid

outinthewood

Thanks for the links.....it would appear we have incurred the wrath of admin, what's that old saying " no good deed goes unpunished" and in this case a honest mistake I'm sure. 
I seem to recall that the VersaCut stuff was going to slowly replace other bars anyway so maybe they will appear in time in more than 20" etc.
Thanks again for the help. And yes shipping can be expensive alright !!

MG2186

Yes the Versa cut is replacing the pro lite bars whenever that stock is used up. I know when I tried ordering the Versa cuts the first couple times they kept sending me pro lights because it'd automatically go back to the old pro lite number, my distributor had to override the computer, they were trying to get rid of their old inventory

HolmenTree

When our logging camp crews were field testing Oregon's chains and rim sprockets they gave us those laminated Pro Lite bars to do the test with.
The bars were gifts for the trouble to fill out the daily journal booklet recording tanks of fuel used, temperature,  type of wood etc.
Well after 80 hours (10 work days) the bars were ready for the garbage can. Sprocket nose were still good but the rails were spread well past the wear limit. No way could they be tightened up again to function properly for any reasonable length of time.
Laminate bars are what their designed for....occasional use.

weimedog

Certainly not going to dispute at this point in time those good milled bars are probably the best tech out there. Stihl and Canon, brands like those. Does that means all laminated bars to eternity are not going to last? So far the ONE ( Sample of one) VersaCut is beating those odd's here of course they are following the "glued" concept that keeps airplanes together. Can't imagine delamination in air frames....but I think the thing we all need to wrestle with is...like auto tunes, technology marches on with us or with out...our choice. AND because the amount of products available are so diverse, its hard to track ALL of them. Have to be a little careful with generalizations as time moves on and the rule of thumb last year is the standard this year. Why I try or have "eye's" on before accessing. And the Total's that have the conventional construction, replaceable  tips and all; they had a weak bearing up front and ALL failed in the same test program with in a few days of bore cutting frozen maple.

( Those Pro Lite bars aren't the same in any way other than labels )

JUST a sample of ONE, ( Mine are all lasting as well, just not abused this way )
This one was still in use, plenty of life left. I traded a new bar to get it. :) Been in daily use since late November/Early December of last year ( 2018 ). 6 days a week, non stop. Frozen hard maple cut the Game Of Logging way, ( plunge cut every time ), hundreds of trees.

DID bust a "tooth" off the sprocket somewhere along the line..;)
Some pics...

HolmenTree

Quote from: weimedog on March 11, 2019, 08:18:57 AM
Certainly not going to dispute at this point in time those good milled bars are probably the best tech out there. Stihl and Canon, brands like those. Does that means all laminated bars to eternity are not going to last? So far the ONE ( Sample of one) VersaCut is beating those odd's here of course they are following the "glued" concept that keeps airplanes together. Can't imagine delamination in air frames....

JUST a sample of ONE, ( Mine are all lasting as well, just not abused this way )
This one was still in use, plenty of life left. I traded a new bar to get it. :) Been in daily use since late November/Early December of last year ( 2018 ). 6 days a week, non stop. Frozen hard maple cut the Game Of Logging way, ( plunge cut every time ), hundreds of trees.
Walter, you got me there. I never thought of running a sawchain on a air frame :D
Over 40 years ago Sandvik had a laminated bar with replaceable sprocket nose with a great design where the nose joint was staggered to the bar rails so the chain was continuously supported without hitting 2 breaks in the rails at the same time. But rails quickly spread and as we all know they can't be retightened like a milled bar can.
End result a fully filed and maintained chain to the end of its life doesn't cut very good on spread bar rails.
Reason pros still prefer milled lightweight bars like the Stihl ES  and Sugiharia light bars.

Laminates are perfect for the casual user who wants to save money and who on the average won't sharpen the  cutters all the way back small, which in my opinion is a waste of money.
But I can't argue with a throw away society.

Yup that well used laminate bar may still buck up firewood. But throw a well worn chain with narrow cutting filed back cutters on it and go try felling a stand of trees ;D

weimedog

Of course you know I have used Sugi's for years. And that VersaCut did have a chain filed to virtually no cutter left, so it has crossed that hurtle. And the fellow who used it and now has a new one for his effort's did all his felling and bucking with that bar. AND deburred that one with a grinder....and I don't get why you can't squeeze that bar. I'll do that on one. If the "glue" holds, squeezing isn't going to be an issue. And the typical laminated bar was a riveted affair. where everything will depend on that metal to metal fit. Glued...depends on the adhesive. As long as that stays together...squeeze all you can. The real concern for those was temperature change, not wear and abuse. With aluminum cores and hard steel on the out side, the concern was the differential expansion and contraction shearing the glue. We had a cold winter, that bar was run in the single digits for temps, and last fall we did have a few warmer days. My concern about total endorsement is what happens in the higher temps? Time will tell. But like I said generalities are like assumptions. I for one won't make them, certainly without any real data;...unless its about saw brands to get a little inline chatter going. :)

Bar did its video "Cameo" in both the video's but in particular the last one in this "forestryforum" thread.
365 to 372xpw conversion saw at work on the landing in Chainsaws

HolmenTree

Walter, they must have got it right with the Versacut .
Past history with laminated bars is because of the solid tempering in the rails throughout the whole 2 side plates... they flair out and you can squeeze or hammer them with a shim all you want and get them to factory spec, but after a short time (sometimes a few hours) they spread right back out to where they were before.

Milled bars are different the rails are hardened to the bottom of the groove, but the rest of the bar is soft from the rails towards the middle.
Maybe your test bar's plates has the qualities of a solid body milled bar.

Husqvarna's Techlite bars had problems when they were first introduced . Maybe Outinthewood can chime in here.
They went the route Sandvik did with the detachable nose decades before.

weimedog

I remember the "bent" tech lights, I had one for a while. And I don't know if they nailed it with the VersaCut, but I'm willing to be optimistic. Next year or two we will know. And the reason the fellow out here is giving them a chance is the weight, but also the cost. And wearing as they do, and his time having value he would rather just pitch them and get another vs. trying to patch up an old bar the way we did in the earlier years.

SO I'm taking a lets just wait and see, and a few of the folks in my world are giving them a chance. Problem so far is there are still some of those "Pro Lite" bars in the system and they got shipped as VersaCuts. Wonder if they have the same PN as the VersaCut is the replacement product, so one guy was annoyed that he got those Pro Lites when he ordered VersaCuts. Kind of need to watch that....I'm sure someone likes the Pro Lites, but if they expect the VersaCut...and end up with a box of Pro Lites, there will be blood pressure issues is my guess.

I wish someone had a good tip for those Total's as the rails lasted quit well. A shame the sprockets were so weak.

On the old laminated bars, I have to wonder if one of the reasons they couldn't have the groove "squeezed" back it because the "pinned" locations are actually pretty far from the actual intersection of the groove bottom and side "plates" so you squeezing at the top, the plate / bend stock rotates about the base of the groove, but the actual deformation is further down into the bar...and you can't get it far enough to actually stay. ( Metal has to be bent past a point before deformation is permanent ) where the VersaCut's adhesive is all the way and strong enough to where when you attempt the "squeeze" the bend does in fact happen right at the intersection of the bottom of the groove. Just a thought.  

HolmenTree

Yes makes sense. Also the fact corrosion could get between the 3 plates via the rail groove.

weimedog

Quote from: HolmenTree on March 11, 2019, 02:59:57 PM
Yes makes sense. Also the fact corrosion could get between the 3 plates via the rail groove.
Two more things the adhesive approach gives is one, if its a complete surface to surface cover, there are no "cracks" at the groove to let contamination get in and two, as its a thin layer, it doesn't let the metal to different metal connect to the point you have a bi-metallic battery. Rivets do have a path for electrolysis and they also mean there is a possibility material gets in between the layers and "jack" them apart over time. IF the adhesive approach works it is way better as a fastener...

Air Lad

Yep 
Alloy/steel and stainless don't get along
The dis-similar metal reaction can mean something has to give
In the marine industry in Aus some time ago there was a product called Duralac
It was used as a neutraliser between two different metals where they are bonded to give a sort of buffer
It's bright yellow
Gooey like 3 bond and gets all over you're clothes just like heat sink paste
I guess the bar manufacturers have access to all kinds of new and innovative products
which can bond and separate the different metals

outinthewood

Always nice when a subject gets a real good chat going ! Agree 100% on the old laminate bars, cheap and nasty would be my summing up in a pro setting although in some work a good option e.g. old soil covered wind blow, no point wearing out a Tsu or Sugi in that !
I do feel the VersaCut is a good step up from that type of bar and along with the newer "black" Husqvarna lam bars a fair choice for more pro work in the right setting. My one Vers bar (20") and black Husq bar (20") are proving to be good bars well made and able to handle serious work.

Now moving onto the top end stuff like Tsu and Sugi, I find the tips on Sugi's are not good atall, too brittle and very prone to chipping to the level that I bought one and no more ! The Tsu are much better I find and have only had two breakup one on a 550 brashing and a 28" which had done a lot of work. That is my finding in my application dealing with a bulk of nasty Spruce with tension filled limbs so just my take. 

The Husqvarna Techlite was a good bar, but, the way the nose was attached was odd it was like a spot weld on two discs which just failed very quickly and I replaced them with normal rivets. They lasted ok but not in the Tsu- Sugi league , very light. 

Very good observation on how the new lam bars are glued together, things really have moved on in the last few years. I have a GB double ended milling bar and it's very well made with incredible hard steel but not brittle .  

Thank You Sponsors!