iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric chainsaw for thinning and trail clearing during fire ban

Started by Jeremyvan, March 17, 2019, 02:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremyvan

I'm trying to decide on what electric chainsaw to get for trail clearing and some thinning projects for use during fire restrictions.  So far im thinking either  the Makita, Milwaukee or the Husqvarna.  

I have been watching review videos and looked at all the saws in person but still can't decide. 

I like how compact the Makita is but wonder about the power compared to the Milwaukee. 

The Husqvarna looks good but it's quite a bit more when you consider getting a few batteries. 

I like the idea of the Milwaukee cause I have some of their other power tools so could use the same batteries.   

Looking for opinions on all these saws and if the Husqvarna is worth going for even though the batteries will only be able to be used in their limited power tools.

lxskllr

If I were buying, I'd get Milwaukee. I like what I've heard about them. I got the boss to get their Fuel drill/impact driver set due to possibly getting a chainsaw later. The impact driver died, but was replaced under warranty. Otherwise, the tools functioned well, and the batteries last a long time.

beav

Check out the echo too. It is a reasonably priced professional saw. I am amazed by mine

gspren

Since you already have Milwaukee batteries I would stay with it.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

weimedog

Husqvarna 120i is $250 bucks including a battery and a charger. For trail work it is excellent. It's not enough for felling trees or branches over 6 inches in dia. Just for the smaller stuff. I have one and after all the specs and cataloges...it simply works. Certainly can recommend that saw. If you already have batteries and chargers for other brand tools that also have saws..of course that has to be considered.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Jeremyvan

Thanks for the replies. 

Battery life is also a concern so I hadn't really considered the lower end Husqvarna saw. 
Does it use the same batteries as their other saws?  The sales person at the shop steered me away from those right away and told me for what I want to get the nicer model.  

I hear the rep for milwaukee will be in on Tuesday to my local store and they will be selling the saw with two 12ah batteries for just under $400 so that sounds like a decent deal considering how much those batteries cost by themselves. I'm tempted to just go with that.

Dave Shepard

That's a heck of a deal on the Milwaukee! It's on my list, maybe this summer. I'm already in deep with Milwaukee, and no regrets so far. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

YellowHammer

I just got the Stihl 200 a few weeks ago and yes it was expensive, but yes, it is a hoss.  Surprisingly fast cutting and has a fast charge battery.  Its rated at 45 minutes cutting time per charge, I don't know about that, but I know I used it off and on for a couple days spot trimming spike limbs off logs for the sawmill, and I was very impressed.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Jeremyvan

weimedog

Quote from: Jeremyvan on March 17, 2019, 11:17:36 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Battery life is also a concern so I hadn't really considered the lower end Husqvarna saw.
Does it use the same batteries as their other saws?  The sales person at the shop steered me away from those right away and told me for what I want to get the nicer model.  

I hear the rep for milwaukee will be in on Tuesday to my local store and they will be selling the saw with two 12ah batteries for just under $400 so that sounds like a decent deal considering how much those batteries cost by themselves. I'm tempted to just go with that.
I get around 45 minutes of useful work on those. Actually had posted up a video of working with actual tops and rough idea of time a year or so ago when they first came out. Posted that here. Then you can see what they do.
The thread & video:
Recommend small saw for older guy? in Chainsaws
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Jeremyvan

Thanks everyone I ended up getting the Milwaukee and two 12ah batteries and quick charger for $439.99 couldn't pass up that deal. 

Tried it out this evening and it feels like a toy but it cuts quiet well.  Was only cuting 6 and 8 inch logs but it made quick work oif them. Might get another battery to take with me trail clearing just to be sure I don't run out of power.

This is the first electronic saw I have ever used and   it's definitely different then gas. I think for the work I'm going to be using it for it will be a lot nicer then gas and not possible when fire season hits full force.

John Mc

I think you'll be happy with that Milwaukee saw. I've used my friend's a few times and have been impressed. They make some darn good cordless tools. The saw looses some power if you use their smaller batteries (though it does still work), but does well with the 9 AH and 12 AH "high output" batteries (those batteries will also work well on some of your other tools. I tried them on my Milwaukee M18 Fuel Circular Saw and not only does it last longer, it has more power.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Jeremyvan

So far I'm super happy with the performance and it's so nice trail clearing not to have to start your saw all the time! 

Definitely has a lot of power but the lower rpms is noticable on brush cutting. It still does good on brush but not as good as a gas saw. 
Cut some green oak today 6 inch to 12 inch and it did quiet a bit better then I expected! 
I did manage to over heat one of the batteries but I was doing a lot of heavy cutting. 

John Mc

Quote from: Jeremyvan on March 20, 2019, 12:03:21 AM
So far I'm super happy with the performance and it's so nice trail clearing not to have to start your saw all the time!

Definitely has a lot of power but the lower rpms is noticable on brush cutting. It still does good on brush but not as good as a gas saw.
Cut some green oak today 6 inch to 12 inch and it did quiet a bit better then I expected!
I did manage to over heat one of the batteries but I was doing a lot of heavy cutting.
What little experience I've had with the Milwaukee M18 Chainsaw, I found it cuts on par with a decent 40cc gas saw. The trick with these is to keep that chain sharp: quicker cutting, better battery life and cooler running battery - and a bit of patience, if you are cutting hardwoods of the size you mentioned.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Jeremyvan

I agree with you!
I had a brand new chain so that wasn't the issue here but I did cut almost a cord of oak and cut it with only a few short brakes to move limbs out of the way.  I was pushing the saw pretty hard so was not surprised the battery over heated. I switched. To my 2nd 12ah battery and finished without any issues. I think if this saw was to be used for firewood cutting you would probably want 4 batteries to keep it from overheating. In that case I think you could keep up with a gas saw and have no issues at all. 

John Mc

Quote from: Jeremyvan on March 20, 2019, 01:30:20 PM
I agree with you!
I had a brand new chain so that wasn't the issue here but I did cut almost a cord of oak and cut it with only a few short brakes to move limbs out of the way.  I was pushing the saw pretty hard so was not surprised the battery over heated. I switched. To my 2nd 12ah battery and finished without any issues. I think if this saw was to be used for firewood cutting you would probably want 4 batteries to keep it from overheating. In that case I think you could keep up with a gas saw and have no issues at all.
If by "pushing the saw pretty hard" you mean you were putting down-pressure on it to get it to cut, then that's a sign it needed sharpening. If you were just referring to using the saw to the limits of it's capacity, then yeah, I guess I can believe it. Cutting 12" oak with the equivalent of a 40cc saw does take some patience.

Jeremyvan

Thank You Sponsors!