iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

simple cheap chinking ?

Started by SCSawyer, October 16, 2008, 07:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCSawyer

Any ideas about a mixture for this guys ?
Silas S. Roberts , Bluff Mtn. Timber

moonhill

This is a test, please stand by...

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Dodgy Loner

Lotsa factors go into determining what sort of chinking to use.  First off, how big are your gaps, and are the logs square or round?
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

krusty

Ironwood

Man if I needed chinking, I'd spend anything necessary to get something like Permachink (tm) that stuff isn't cheap but it rocks, no cracking, no moisture penetration. Nice

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Jasperfield

I agree with Ironwood. If you're gonna scrimp, don't do it on the chinkin'.

If you're going to do something; Do it right or don't do it at all.

David Brooks (Chinkers of Tennessee 1-423-623-8408 Ofc or 1-865-322-1992 cell) chinked my house with "Log Jam" brand chinking. They're a 25+ yr family-run company that chinks houses from East Tennessee to Colorado...and Fla. to Me. That's all they do.

If you're wanting to scrimp on chinking, you've probably alrealy spent too much on good logs.

Without really good chinking material AND installation, the best logged home is nothing more than a fancy corn crib.

They can make the chinkin' look however you want, period, rustic, smooth, etc.

Jasperfield

woody1

I built a butt n pass cabin. Everything low budget. It's just a little get- a- way. I tried every mixture. Asked many people, got much advise. If you want cheap, I used quickcrete 80# bags of mortar mix. Just add water, mortar bag it on the lathe, let it set a while, slick it out..worked great. It's 5 year old with no problems. I sure wouldn't use it on something I spent alot of money on, but if you are looking for cheap, it works.
Woody
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Sprucegum

If I remember right it was;

1 part salt
2 parts wood ash
5 parts clay

add water to the desired consistency.

Salt is real cheap (around here)  and the rest is free.

Only problem I had was the Dang cows eating the chinking to get the salt  >:(

PA141

I built this cabin in 30 days--by my self, and was in a hurry for quick, cheep, easy chinking. I was living in a slum, and had given my 30 days notice to get out, and I was broke and motivated, and in a hurry.  I used pole chinking on the outside, and cut long- 6" wide strips of foam carpet pad, folded as needed and inserted them in the gaps with the rough edge out toward the poles, and the rounded folded side to the inside.

I had read where settlers used moss, and this was as close as I could get. Use what ya got.

Sealed it up really good, and I lived in it for 3 years. The new owner eventually replaced the foam with cement mortar.  
Endeavor to Persevere

Don P

I've chinked with mortar successfully, a scratch coat over wire lath and then a finish coat of white Portland, lime and white sand, well tucked under the upper log and shedding water on the lower. But after doing rot repair on cement based chinking, usually poorly detailed so it caught water, I've come to the conclusion that lime based chinking is probably a better idea. Portland tends to hold moisture where lime chinks tend to dry and preserve better. A typical mix was around equal parts of clay, sand and lime.

clww

That's awesome, PA141! I love self reliance.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!