iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

clearing the land

Started by thecfarm, August 21, 2018, 02:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Thank you Ray for taking the time to show your work.  Of course it that was my property there would be Sweetgum trees and no rocks.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andries

Ray, I'm enjoying your videos.
Thanks for taking the time and effort to do them.
Maine looks a lot like Central and Eastern Canada to my eye.
Going back to what Mike Belden said about "every bucket should have ripper teeth on the heel".
That's new to me. Have to Google that.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

mike_belben

You may be looking for a while.  None of them do.  
Praise The Lord

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andries

Quote from: mike_belben on September 04, 2018, 11:32:06 AM
I use backdrag constantly.  Every bucket heel should have ripper teeth.
Quote from: mike_belben on September 05, 2018, 12:05:59 PM
You may be looking for a while.  None of them do.  
Yep . . . now you've got me scratching my head.  :D

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

JB Griffin

We back drag around here alot too, always after the "heavy" work is done, to smooth up.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

mike_belben

I want a smooth front edge bucket with ripper teeth on the back of it.  Drive backward with the bucket curled up and push down to loosen hardpan or compacted gravel.  Drive forward to scrape it up or backdrag with the front edge to smooth it.   Talking skidsteer.. I dont know if it'd be useful on a tractor but i dont like needing two buckets to do the job if both surfaces could be put on one.  

I hate the chatter of trying to cut hard material going forward on a worn out machine.  The cutting edge gives too much leverage against the curl cylinder and the machines are too frontend light anyway so they want to wheelie when you are pushing forward.  Weight is biased like 70% to the back tires when empty bucket.  Putting teeth on the heel moves the force really close to the pivot and gives the curl cylinder a ton of advantage to hold things still.  When i use the heel to spread nothing chatters. But its just a flat surface and cant do much.  It much prefer there was small teeth to rake up roots and cut sod. 
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

Good idea Mike. That soil you see in the video is soft. A spade would go into that easy. As I said in the video that whole place was different. I dug a few good size rocks out of there, but the soil looked different in the holes. Most places around here I remove the topsoil and I am into rocks. It starts out with small ones, golf ball size and gets bigger as I go down. And harder too.
I really need a excavator or a backhoe. This digging a 6 foot hole, and sometimes much bigger, the width of my bucket, to dig a rock out is a bother to say the least. I've had rocks the size of my head hold me up from getting a rock out. A backhoe with a narrow bucket, would really help me out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

I know whatcha mean, loaders are a pain for that type of work.

A stump bucket with a grapple would work a ton better for you.  Im building a stone retaining wall now and its the next best thing to an excavator.  So much dexterity, and all the power focused into a 12" wide tooth edge.  You can get at the exact spot you want without a rock thats 2 feet away sticking its nose into your cutting edges business.
Praise The Lord

Crusarius

I agree about the sharp teeth on the back side of the bucket. That would be great. my problem is there are a lot of times I don't want them in the way especially using the bucket for lifting logs.

I use my 3pt box blade for almost everything landscape related now. when dragging behind the tractor is smooths real nice but as you guys said when pushing with it it sure is hard on the tractor.

I wonder if its worth making a set of teeth and mounting them on the back edge of the bucket. Could actually put them on a hinge and just flip them up flat against the back of the bucket when I do not need them in the way.

mike_belben

I did make a sort of cutter comb that bolted onto the back of a "dozer blade" on my deere 140 for backdragging.  Say you wanted to put a trail through a spot with high ferns and brush without wrecking the ground, it was excellent at that.  One push forward to lay them down and one or two drags back to cut them off.  But it didnt take off the topsoil or duff mat.   just severed the greens and raked leaves.  

The teeth were just slugs from a knockout slot punch.  And obviously the sharpened angle irons.

These little grubber heels were later welded to the side plates to be removable.  Theyd pinch a sappling when you hooked it and reversed.  promptly wacking you in the face before uprooting most times.

Corner cutters worked incredible too.

Praise The Lord

Crusarius

those look angry. I like it :)

mike_belben

Yeah, great for grubbing your toe if you werent careful walking by.  People think a hitchball sneak attack is bad...

Sharp corners and sideplates are really handy for breaking up dirtpiles and hills that have over grown.  The severing action cuts the rooty junk that holds it all in place.  Just keep peeling dirt off with the corner and pushing it out.
Praise The Lord

DeerMeadowFarm

Nice work Ray! Hardly any rocks compared to what you're used to seeing. I do think a stone bucket would help you out. I have one and it works great for that kind of reclamation work.

thecfarm

Yes a stone bucket would work much better. Need one for 6 inch rocks and up and than one for 5 inch and under.I need a grapple too. Bigger tractor too. ;D 
I am back on another reclaiming project. Been mowing it for years,just started to dig the rocks out and smooth it out so I can mow it with the tractor. There will be still alot of hand mowing. With the red oak trees and rocks that I can't get out,some places are not even 5 feet wide.

mike_belben

A slippery slope indeed.  I cant keep them all running at the same time.  If every machine is currently working, then im either out of fuel or oil.
Praise The Lord

hturner12

I dont have video but been working on ours off and on for 2 years. Other than the tractor the best investment was for the ratchet rake.
https://ratchetrake.com  

I noticed  trater is making  them now.
Hugh
Ezbordwalk Jr

Thank You Sponsors!