iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making reworked bar

Started by TACOMATODD, January 11, 2019, 04:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TACOMATODD

I want to take an existing 0.063x20 saw bar and cut it down to about 16". The shortest large mount bar that I have found for my Husky so far has been 20". Considering the machine work on doing such a thing seems pretty straight forward, what's you folks opinions? It seems that the most difficult part would be the bar oil hole. I could go to a smaller gauge, but I REALLY like the way the 0.063 cuts.
Trying harder everyday

mike_belben

I have a 16" stihl 063 bar on my 372xp for bucking piled firewood. Keeps me from stabbing into logs i dont intend to cut, and not many cutters to sharpen. Cheaper chains too.

Just make bushings for the bar studs. I used trimmed off pieces from a coil spring i ground down a bit by hand. Works perfect.
Praise The Lord

Air Lad

Quote from: TACOMATODD on January 11, 2019, 04:56:21 AM
I want to take an existing 0.063x20 saw bar and cut it down to about 16". The shortest large mount bar that I have found for my Husky so far has been 20". Considering the machine work on doing such a thing seems pretty straight forward, what's you folks opinions? It seems that the most difficult part would be the bar oil hole. I could go to a smaller gauge, but I REALLY like the way the 0.063 cuts.
I wondered about that when I saw some bent long bars that may be able to be cut down and used as shorter ones. Drilling an oil hole I have done a couple of times. Sharp and slow. Stihl bars are open at the base. Should be able to be cut to the same shape?
Dunno?
Watching with interest
Cheers

HolmenTree

I made a 13" bar out of a 15" bar for a 550XP.
Only used my 4.5" angle grinder, bench grinder , file and drill press.
Here's a pic of the mod about a half ways in.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!