iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forestry as a Career, NB Go Forestry Campaign

Started by SwampDonkey, November 10, 2008, 05:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

The Province of New Brunswick and other provincial forestry stake holders have a website called Go Forestry located at http://goforestry.ca to help promote forestry as a career to meet future labour demands as "baby boomers" retire from the sector.

However, don't expect to go there to search for your next job.  :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pappy19

Especially if you are a USA citizen, cause the Canadian government won't give you a green card to work in Canada.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

SwampDonkey

Some folks can't seem to look beyond their nose I guess. Forestry and the jobs associated with it aren't just in the USA my friend.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Samuel

Quote from: pappy19 on November 10, 2008, 11:22:45 PM
Especially if you are a USA citizen, cause the Canadian government won't give you a green card to work in Canada.

Under NAFTA, Forestry was one of the industries that was supposed to be easy to relocate from one side of the border to the other (i.e. JDI in NB, NS, and Maine).  Not sure what happened as I was under the impression it was not an issue.
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

SwampDonkey

As a matter of fact they have a position open in Maine now that requires a work Visa. ;)

pappy19

show me a Canadian job filled by a USA citizen....just one will do.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

SwampDonkey

Member Tillaway has worked in Canada, I worked with a fellow from WA state in BC. Several US citizens work in the UNB Forestry faculty.

I don't really know what else to tell ya. I'm sure there is a lot more than I know of.

nas

Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

pappy19

I'm not talking about purchasing timber or logs from Canada; I'm referring to an Amercian Citizen working for a Canadian company or some part of Canadian government, be it province or whatever. Unless they have duel citizenship or renounce their US citizenship, it won't happen. The only way a US Citizen can obtain a green card to work in Canada is if there is a particular job that no Canadian can fill or is qualified. Then and only then the US Citizen must promise to train an Canadian to take his place within one year of receiving the green card. I went through this whole rigamarow a number of years ago and found out why very few US Citizens ever get to work in Canada.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

SwampDonkey

As far as hiring a local native to fill the job, I'm all for that especially if the job market is depressed having more trained professionals than there are jobs. I couldn't really comment on the requirements of a green card because I never went through the process. But, seeing those that have come here to work I know they were never required to train anyone to keep their jobs and they certainly do not loose US citizenship as they vote like anyone else for a Canadian politician as well as any American one they wish by absantee ballot. There are a good many university professors, in a number of faculties including forestry, from the US that have been here for most of their working career. It sounds more to me like an employer issue and maybe someone didn't know who to turn to, to get help. I don't know how buying and selling logs equates to being a professor, designing forest roads, and surveying.  ::)

pappy19

2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

SwampDonkey

This is a pretty good spot to hang I think.  ;)

Dezian

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 10, 2008, 05:18:00 PM
(...) future labour demands as "baby boomers" retire (...)

SD, tell me please, who are "baby boomers"? There's no such expression in my dictionary. You mean, hmmm, people who were born during a period, when many babies were born?
"When I was born I was so surprised I didn't talk for a year and a half."
--Gracie Allen--

SwampDonkey

Yeah, 40's and 50's as a consequence of the second world war.  ;)

Dezian

Oh,I see. Here we call it "demographic high" (because of this term I can't help wondering what was the weather then). So, will there be a little higher demand on foresters in your region soon? In Poland it's not that easy to find a job in line, but still I have hope  8)
--Gracie Allen--

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Dezian on November 24, 2008, 10:58:29 AM
So, will there be a little higher demand on foresters in your region soon?

So far, that is not my experience.   :-\ Many times when a retiree leaves, the job or position vanishes to, or there is a lateral move.  ::)

QuoteHere we call it "demographic high" (because of this term I can't help wondering what was the weather then).

Could have been a peek in certain chemistry to. :D

Dezian

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 24, 2008, 11:01:39 AM
the job or position vanishes to, or there is a lateral move.  ::)
Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 24, 2008, 11:01:39 AM
Could have been a peek in certain chemistry to. :D
I have to put these expression in my personal dictionary  :D

But yet the sense of your words is not that funny. Actually it's quite hard to deal with that. Good,that what I have to do right now is focus on studies. I will trouble myself with thinking about job when I get a proper education  ;)
--Gracie Allen--

BrandonTN

There's a chance I could work on my Master's at U of Toronto, SwampD. Go on and start putting in a good word for me in Ontario.  ;)
Forester, Nantahala National Forest

WAP Man

fkarcha

Quote from: pappy19 on November 10, 2008, 11:22:45 PM

It works both ways.  I investigated the possibility of working as a Forester in the USA.  It was not an easy process.

Back to the topic at hand:  Where do I look for a job in New Brunswick?  I don't see jobs advertised very often on Canadian Forests.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: fkarcha on January 16, 2009, 11:21:38 AM
Where do I look for a job in New Brunswick?  I don't see jobs advertised very often on Canadian Forests.

That's what I'd like to know to. Just another Shawn Graham pathetic joke.  :-\

Samuel

Sounds like a disgruntled Torie from Royalton!   :D
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
Software Solutions-

SwampDonkey

Hey, there hasn't been a red liberal in Carleton County for years, and for good reason never will be. :D

Samuel

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 19, 2009, 05:13:03 PM
Hey, there hasn't been a red liberal in Carleton County for years, and for good reason never will be. :D

I guess besides my grandmother in Gordonsville, we all moved to Alberta where it doesn't matter.   :D
Software Solutions-

Thank You Sponsors!