iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Am I missing something with my filing?

Started by KODAK, September 08, 2018, 09:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KODAK

Hey everyone,
I've got a small problem I'm running into with my Alaskan chainsaw milling. I've got a bunch of milling ahead of me. Finished up a white oak and then a spalted maple I found on my new home property. I noticed that I'm getting wavy cuts. The white oak was my first time. Brand new ripping chain and 52" forester bar on my ms880. Used a ladder as my guide bar. Made sure it was level. Cut had nice chips but was wavy. Noticed my chain had some slack in it. On this spalted maple I sharpened my chain with a Stihl file at 10 degrees and used 2 2x4 as my guides. Log was only four feet long and 34 inches in diameter at the widest. Noticed cutting took tons of pushing and lots of dust. So I resharpened and took down the rakers and it's move a lot better but still tons of barely chips/thick dust. Last few cuts after resharp/rakers were wavy around 1/16 deviations. Is it my filing or does it look like chain slack, or even the 2x4s being warped?
Look forward to hearing from you guys. I've got another beautiful spalted maple Log bigger than this to cut and I don't want to mess it up for potential customers

Downstream

Looks like it is more concentrated in two spots based on looking at 1st photo.  that would rule out a chain issue i would think because that would be seen along entire length of log as it passed by in the loop.  I would get that more when i had to rock my grandberg setup more to try and get through a hard spot.  I learned to try not rock the chainsaw forward and back like i would just bucking a log because it usually left a surface that required more sanding. I hate sanding :laugh:!
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

KODAK

Hmm good point. I was rocking it a few times to get it through the cut. My finish cut with my ladder as my guide rails didn't produce a better surface finish. I'm leaning towards loose tension and just not having my filing technique down well enough. My cut quality isn't too bad compared to fresh chain but the speed is way slower. More dust and less grab in the log. I really gotta push her through the cut 

mike_belben

Dust is pretty much all you get in chainsaw milling.  Rig up a hand crank rope winch to pull your rig down the line and take the strain off of you.  
Praise The Lord

goose63

Like this

Makes for a lot less work  8)

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Weekend_Sawyer

How wavy are we talking.
Can you take another pic with a straight edge on top of the plank and show us?

I absolutely agree with some sort of crank to help pull the mill through the cut.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

KODAK

I'll try to grab another picture to show the wavy cut. I'll also take a photo of my chain filing. I like that crank, was that DIY or ordered for the mill?

goose63

goose

YellowHammer

Here's another version, a thin piece of paracord and a bent piece of steel round stock as a crank. 

Chainsaw milling is tough, any kind of crank will make it much easier.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Weekend_Sawyer

Yep, I adopted Yellowhammer's crank to my mill.
Made it soooo much easier.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

mike_belben

Mine is a cord around a rod like that but it uses an eyelet to redirect so that the pull is from the far end.  Basically my silent helper who pushes on my command. 
Praise The Lord

KODAK

does the rod style cause any deflection in the cut on wider slabbing say 52"?
Quote from: goose63 on September 10, 2018, 08:21:56 AM
Like this

Goose I think I see a log arch in the background, I made one very similar. It's been awesome. I've got many logs from that rig and it didn't cost me more than steel and a couple days of fiddling with it.

Makes for a lot less work  8)

goose63

KODAK that is my trailer

This is my log arch the 12.000 pound winch is a beast

goose

Thank You Sponsors!