iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flu Shot

Started by Magicman, December 04, 2014, 08:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goose63

I seldom get sick but I'm getting older been getting the flu shot for five years now not takeing any chances
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

martyinmi

I guess everyone has their own theories/beliefs about what may or may not help improve the quality of life for themselves and their families. I don't trust the pharmaceutical companies to conduct impartial, unbiased studies. I guess if I market a product, and I'm funding the study, the results will inevitably prove that my product works as described, or is superior to anything else on the market.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they can't/won't/don't work, I'm just questioning whether they are needed and indeed helpful IN THE LONG RUN for every segment of the population. Is getting the flu a few times in your life always a bad thing, or can it actually help our immune system defend itself in the future?
At this point in my life, I'm on board with the folks who believe that their systems are a bit stronger because of the fact that they've been exposed to similar viruses and they've fought them off.
In my family, there are 6 of us kids and our spouses, 24 grand kids(7 have spouses), 20 great great grand kids, and mom and dad. Only 3 of the whole lot get flu shots. All 3 are forced to get them by their employers(dental hygienist, RN, Paramedic) Based on what I know from similar families in our area, ours is measurably healthier than most.
Maybe someday, some extremely exotic flu virus will surface that will wipe out a good share of us. In fact, I'll wager that somewhere out there on the inter-web there exists many studies that predict that very scenario will take place.
However, I'd also wager that if one does enough digging, they'd conclude that the money behind these studies comes from the same folks who want you to purchase their product.
I gotta say though, I'm really gonna regret NOT getting one if I ever meet Roxie! ;) ;D

Off to my son's soccer games for now.
Hope I win my sawmill on the forum's auction!!!
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

doctorb

Marty-

Roxie is correct.  BTW, the influenza strains related to the vaccine  rarely cause an gastro-intestinal infection, as you hint at in your post, but a respiratory infection.  For those with compromised immune systems and with cardiopulmonary compromise from existing disease, preventing the flu is a reasonable and prudent thing to do.  I am not trying to change your mind about getting the vaccine, but I want you to understand the reason that it is suggested that you do.

The concept is called "herd immunity", and it means that if enough members of a given population are immunized against a disease, that the liklihood of anyone in that population getting it falls dramatically, as the liklihood of spread within that population is significantly lowered.  So, for healthy individuals, while the shot affords protection against the viruses selected by the "Grand Pooh Baa's" of the virus world, it's an attempt to afford protection to those who could die from a significant pulmonary infections. 

I do not like the government telling you what to do with your body and immune system.  I really don't.  But I come in contact with plenty of elderly patients who are already compromised in one medical way or another, so I get the shot to protect them.  So, as the saying goes, " It's not about you.  It's about all of us."
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

blackfoot griz

For the first time in 8 years, I did not get a flu shot and came home early from work this morning...aches, chills, sweat, hack, repeat over & over.
It's been years since I've missed a day of work.  I don't want any of my customers/coworkers etc to go through this!

beenthere

Got mine today..  8)  Went through that flu a couple years ago and don't want anything like it again.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gary_C

Quote from: doctorb on December 13, 2014, 12:45:17 PM
Sorry guys, been away from my post in Peru! 

Fishing in the Amazon?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

DonT

I always get mine.  As a Volunteer fire fighter it was always required. Good bad or otherwise if it helped protect the general population then it was worth it.Now living with an immune suppressed daughter it is a no brainer in our household.

doctorb

No fishing, unfortunately.  The family visited our youngest daughter who had a semester of college there.  We brought her home with us.  Amazing place.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Warbird

Quote from: martyinmi on December 13, 2014, 02:11:08 PM
I've never had one and don't plan on ever getting one.
I've had many colds over the years, but I've only been diagnosed with the flu once.
You puke and poop for 2 or 3 days, then you go back to work. smiley_sick
Not a big deal if you have a healthy immune system. ::)
It seems that the folks who get flu shots every year are typically the ones who are ill the most often. ???

I used to feel the same way.  Then I caught the Swine Flu a few years back.  Let me tell you, that will change your tune.  I was down and out for almost 2 weeks.  Had to go to the hospital for an IV because I got so dehydrated.  Bad, bad stuff.

They aren't joking when they say the flu kills many people every year. 

Roxie

Today's local paper has a seventeen year old in the obituaries.  Cause of death is listed as complications from the flu.  SEVENTEEN years old. 
Say when

Ianab

From Wikipedia

QuoteAlthough the incidence of influenza can vary widely between years, approximately 36,000 deaths and more than 200,000 hospitalizations are directly associated with influenza every year in the United States.

It ain't the common cold.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doctorb

Understand that those numbers quoted by Ianab above are correct. Those losing their lives to the flu are usually compromised, especially immunocompromised patients.  It can be devastating in the elderly with no physiologic reserve in their cardiopulmonary function.  The flu shot vaccine is not a cure all.  It's a best guess to try and prevent deaths of thousands of patients who are weakened by other disease.

Thank You Sponsors!