iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old willys vs tractor for logging?

Started by slice107, April 22, 2019, 11:07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackcanyon

I'm new to this forum and unfortunately haven't figured out how to add photos yet but you mentioned you have a mill. One of the first things I sawed on my mill was a wood shod sled. You make runners around 3" wide, 8" high and 8' long works good. I used a cherry log with a pronounced sweep that already had a curve for the front. You make cross bunks that are around 4" wide, 5" high and 5' long. I then lay the bunks on top of the runners 6' on center and drill 1 1/8" holes through the bunks and about 3/4 of the way into the runners. I then cut 1" pipe to about 12" to slide down into the holes. The last thing you need is two 3/16" cables in a cross that have the ends in a loop held with cable clamps that you put over the top of the pipes. ( this is so when turning the sled only has so much give side to side. I load the sled with a peavy and ramps and pull it with a chain hitched to the middle of the front bunk. You can take it apart and move it in the back of the Willis or a pickup and when empty you can turn it around by hand etc. wish I had pictures but if you talk to any old timer that logged with bulls or horses they will tell you all you need to know about a wood shod sled.

Thank You Sponsors!