iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fishing hooks for rainbows.

Started by rjwoelk, March 12, 2023, 08:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjwoelk

We have a pond with around 500 rainbows in it. They are getting into the 2 plus lb size.
Being new to this whole thing with ice fishing, the hook size is different numbers. BUT no were can i find the relation ship or pics with deminsions as to how big physically is a number 10 or 16 or a1.
Any of you fishing guys help me out. At least a 4/4 5/4 relates to the size of a board. 
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Nebraska

Look at Salmon egg hooks maybe size 10 or 12.

rjwoelk

Ok but how big is this hook.
1/2 inch from eye to bottom of the curve or what? That is what I need to know just to have a visual reference.
I probably have the correct size just don't know what it should look like in size.
Small finger nail?
Bottle cap?
Hubcap?
Get my drift? 
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Southside

Given the proximity to St Patrick's Day I was wondering if you were trying to snag yourself a Leprechaun and his pot of gold by setting up a trot line on that rainbow.   :D :snowball:
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

rjwoelk

Lol good one, I have used a red and white spoon with a canadian flag on it. Some luck, a good friend just figured it worked because my fish are patriotic. 

SawyerTed

"Freshwater" hooks are numbered 1-32.  The bigger the number, the smaller the hook.

"Saltwater" hooks are #/0. The higher the number the the bigger the hook.

Freshwater and saltwater are in quotation marks because who is to say where you have to use them.  There are dozens of hook designs which complicates things a bit. 

Here's a link that actually has a scale to the side.  

https://norrik.com/fishing-hook-size-and-type-chart-by-game-fish-species/
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

rjwoelk

Thanks Ted that was what I was needing. So I will look for about a 1/2 inch to 3/8 length of hook. I think that may be some of my problem with getting them to bite.
Need to get a bunch caught before the ice is off, and they taste bad.(weedy)

YellowHammer

You use hooks?  Down south here, we use pounds, sometimes one quarter and one eighth pounds for fishing.  Trout can get mushy, so we cut back a little.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WV Sawmiller

Robert,

In the OP he stated this was in his own pond so that would mean he'd use different techniques to fish for them than if they were in a public reservoir or such. Reminds me of the old joke "You gonna talk or fish?"
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

"You going to talk or light that fuse?"
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

beenthere

As I heard it, the fisherman lit the stick of dynamite and handed it to the warden who had just told him he couldn't fish that way, then calmly said "you gonna fish or talk". 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rjwoelk

I used the  camera to see were they are,  they are more interested in the camera then the lures i been using. 

SwampDonkey

Some of the best books about fly hooks for inland fishing are 'fly tyer' guide books.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

K-Guy

Slowly Jigging real Salmon eggs, the scent and look should get bites. Use a #8 or #10 hook. I've been told it is a natural instinct in trout and salmon to destroy any eggs that aren't theirs. This is what I would use in the mountains of BC.

If you want some flash on it, instead of a snelled hook use a red wedding band lure.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

sawguy21

I have found that quite effective in BC interior lakes, a maggot pattern is also deadly just after ice out.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WV Sawmiller

BT heard the same version I did. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

Great resource Ted.  It is like wire size, the smaller the gage the bigger the wire, till you get to the aught size.  In medicine we also have sizes in French, and the bigger the number the bigger the tube.  I assume it is like nail size in penny.  It was started that way and has remained.  had to do with the price for a certain number I think.  

Penny (unit) - Wikipedia

Fish hook - Wikipedia

American wire gauge - Wikipedia

French catheter scale - Wikipedia

I looked them up for myself, so thought I would share.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!