iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

replacing sawmill

Started by schmutzkopf, March 18, 2013, 05:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schmutzkopf

I just joined here and I know there are many opinions out there.   I, with my mill were involved in an accident which totaled my truck and damaged the mill. This was a small manual mill I was able to pay for and over the years added 12 volt drives and overhead winch, etc. etc. to make it do what I wanted to. It functioned great in doing onsite work, which is most of my work. A lot of it out in the woods where the winch worked great for bringing logs in from various places and odd angles.
       So now it's damaged and being extremely busy it makes more sense to buy a mill than spend weeks and money in repairs [ I think]. 
       I've operated the WM before and I know they are a great company, but I see features on the TK, like a 32" throat and bi-directional log turner on their more affordable mills, that makes them very attractive. 
     I'm sure there are other good mills out there. Just trying to find the right one.

Here's the difficult part; we had owned everything we have. Now we'll have to finance something. With a decent credit score, is it better to let the shop finance you or go to your banker for a better rate?

Just want to make the right decision as this is a big one.  I have several months of work backed up in the 200+ mile area that I serve.

Thank you for your input

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, schmutzkopf.

Sorry for your loss, but it's one of the risks we take when we go on the road.

I don't know how much you plan on spending for the replacement mill, but you can get a bi-directional log turner on some of the Wood-Mizer sawmills.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jd_odell

Quote from: schmutzkopf on March 18, 2013, 05:42:59 AM
Here's the difficult part; we had owned everything we have. Now we'll have to finance something. With a decent credit score, is it better to let the shop finance you or go to your banker for a better rate?

I think the answer lies within your question.  You may need a bigger down payment with a bank (but have a lower interest rate) where as the mill manufacturer may have a lower down payment (but have a higher interest rate).  I reckon my advice to you regarding any large purchase would be to see who offers the better loan term/interest rate and go with what you can afford. 

Good Luck!
-jd

Magicman

First, Welcome to the Forestry Forum,    schmutzkopf.

Wide throat, etc may look like and be nice options, but your sawing needs should dictate whether the additional expense would be that valuable to your operation.  Every operation and market niche' is different.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scully

Short answer go through a bank, and go with a Wood- Mizer   the LT 40 series is fantastic !
I bleed orange  .

Bibbyman

The bidirectional chain turner is not near the top of my list of got to have features.

Now, the two-plane clamp is at the top of my liat.  I use the claw turner a couple of times each log but once the flats are made, I use the clamp to turn the cant. If I have to turn log back a little, I can do it with the clamp.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

yarnammurt

Take a look at Logmaster before you buy. I looked HARD for six months before I bought. You get more for your money.
ATS 10" Peterson, 09 New Holland 4x4 TL90 with loader, 125hp White,2 2009 Kawasaki 610 mules,

tyb525

All I can say is, Woodmizer has some of the best customer service in the world.

Do you cut 32" wide often? And do you see a need for a bi-directional turner? A lot of manufacturers add a lot of fluff, but I think it's smart to look at what mills sell the best, and hold their value the longest.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

5quarter

schmutzkopf...The great thing about your situation is that you have a distinct advantage over the new prospective sawyer shopping for a mill, as you have a clear idea of what your mill will be cutting and the style and options that are of the most value to you. I've ran (but alas, not owned) WM, TK and Cooks mills and I can say that they are all a dream to run. Write down the specs that are most important to you and then closely scrutinize those mills in your price range from ALL the major builders. Each builds high quality equipment and has outstanding service. Another consideration is the cost of ownership of the mill you're looking at. some mills are more expensive to run than others, but can often make up for it in increased quality and production. For example, WM has the Accuset 2 setworks on their 40 series mills. They don't call it Accuset for nothing. undoubtedly  the best computer setworks going, but what if you fry it? Repairs on that miracle of modern science are not inexpensive. If I were you, I would be talking with fellow members who own the mills you're looking at and ask for an objective assessment of the maintenance costs, as well as any maintenance or performance quirks. Brochures and DVDs are selling tools. Next to actually running the machines, feedback from owners is the best way learn a whole lot of useable info about the mills your looking at. do your homework and please keep us posted on your progress.
   Best of luck.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Look before you leap.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

kensfarm

I used Farm credit.. sawmills qualify as farm equipment.. rates are good. 

Bought my sawmill last November because Sandy took down hundreds of trees on the farm.  Haven't had a single problem.. just hit 60+ hrs this past weekend..  TimberKing has called me every 30 days just to check..  these mills are built like a tank.  The bi-dimensional log turner is a great tool..  rotating, positioning, logs, cants.. it makes life easy.. I also use it as a 2nd log clamp by using a scrap piece of wood on the chain.  The solid 4 post head, capacity, & the simplicity of all hydralics sold me..  the simple setworks is def. a time saver.  Hope you find the mill that works best for you.. Ken 

dboyt

Sorry to hear about the accident.  I hope everyone was all right.  It sounds like you cover a lot of territory, so easy trailering and quick setup are also important.  What will you be towing it with?  Norwood has a bi-directional log turner as an option and a 28" diameter max cutting width on their MX34.  Hope you're able to get back to making sawdust soon!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Finn1903

Sorry to hear about your accident
I went with the WM, bought mine new and have been very happy with the customer support.  I second what Bibbyman said on the clamp.
For financing, our local Farm Credit sales office is not interested in small stuff, less then a couple hundred thousand dollars, guess he is more interested in his commission check then financing farmers.  I went through Farm Bureau Bank and have nothing but good to say about the transaction.  We use Farm Bueau Insurance and our agent helped facilitate the transaction.  Quick service, low rates.  I was approved, had the loan and money to WM before WM was ready to ship the mill.
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

schmutzkopf

Thank you- all ya'll for your input.  Thanks to God's protection no-one was seriously injured.  The mill purchase is delayed by a funeral in MT.   On the way back now- stuck in Butte with car troubles. 

Praise God- He's got this, because I don't. Just got news that it's gonna take quite a bit to fix it. So I will let ya'll know how it turns out.

ladylake

One of the main reasons I bought a TK was the chain turner and I'm glad I did as they are a lot faster.  Also don't knock 32" between the guide roller, more and more want natural edge slabs and every inch counts.  With 2 months of backed up works I'd be getting a fully hyd mill, back when the TK 2000 first came out for $22500 it had to be the best bang for the buck by far but prices have went up.  Having owned a B20 for 9000 hours it's a nice simple easy to fix mill that rarely breaks down.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Will_Johnson

Just to clarify TK 2000 does have a dual action log clamp. 1600's is single action auto (in/out).  In addition there's the bi-directional chain log turner on both 1600 and 2000 (as well as 2200 & 2400).

I am not going to sully the forum by getting too "salesy" here but we do have a section on our web site where we kind of lay out what we feel are the advantages of TK over our various competitors in various areas. So in terms of hearing the "case" for TK this might be a place to go.

reride82

Quote from: schmutzkopf on March 28, 2013, 12:43:33 PM
Thank you- all ya'll for your input.  Thanks to God's protection no-one was seriously injured.  The mill purchase is delayed by a funeral in MT.   On the way back now- stuck in Butte with car troubles. 

Praise God- He's got this, because I don't. Just got news that it's gonna take quite a bit to fix it. So I will let ya'll know how it turns out.

Schmutzkopf,

I'm no help with your bandmill issues, but I am also in Butte, MT if there is anything I can do to help. If all else, suggest a good restaraunt or mechanic. PM me if there is anything I can do.

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

hamish

How bad is the damage to the existing mill?  Seeing as it suited you and did what you asked of it, let alone are familiar with its song (operation....they all sing a different tune when humming just right).

Take a moment and truly figure out what it would cost you to get it fixed, fixed either by yourself or outsourced.  Best thing about homemade is it can easily be repaired, as can most mills.

I dont know how the insurance rules are in your state but in my province, anything legally towed by my insured vehicle is covered under the same insurance, so I my truck gets totaled, and the mill also or damaged would be covered under insurance.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

schmutzkopf

Well, we made it safely back to Texas.  After an all out blizzard in NM, sleeping in a church because the motels were full,  major snow storm in the Col. passes, and an almost new Honda accord from Butte MT. The story is a long one.
Thank you, Levi for the offer. The guys, especially Aaron, at Leskovar Honda in Butte are the best. They got us back on the road by 5.  Went through Grand Junction, Col. to see family, then detoured through Kansas City to see Timberking in person. Got a good look at them. Nice machines but they weren't set up to run.
In retrospect I should have demanded to see one run, but after all the snow and cold the wife wanted to get back to Texas. They are some great people and wouldn't mind doing business with them. I have had a wood master 718 planer for some time and didn't realize they were the same people. That is a great machine and they gave some tips to make it better.   
So still waiting on the ins. company. (I could go on a rant about being forced to pay for ins. when they don't want to do what they are paid for when it's needed, but I'll try to restrain myself)    I'll rail on them later if they don't take care of this.   

I'm still looking and may decide to buy used if the price is right. Although the warranty with new would be nice.

Thank you all for your input.
Nate

Thank You Sponsors!