iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shingle jig for my Norwood

Started by Woodsrover, March 18, 2013, 06:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodsrover

Well, I had an idea the other for a shingle jig that would work with my ML26 Norwood mill.  I few feet of 1"x2" box and 1"x2" box steel and some scrap steel laying around and it was done.  Cut my first shingles tonight and its pretty slick!  It cuts 12" wide shingles up to 24" long.  Cut a bunch of 18" tonight.  1/2" at the thick end and 1/16" at the thin.  The taper is adjustable from zero to 3/4" in 18".

Time to take this one up for his bath and bed but if its still light out when we're done. I'll get a couple pictures of the jig.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

woodyone.john

I'm hangin out to see your pics. Please.cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Mike N

Woodsrover,

Do you have photos of the jig I'm interested in giving this a try!

Thanks
Woodmizer LT-15  BobCat
If it ain't broke take it apart & find out why!

Woodsrover

Not yet Mike.  Snow again today so I stayed in and built a brooding box for the chicks coming on Saturday!

dboyt

Always nice to see the next generation of sawyers coming along!  He'll be taking stuff apart before you know it!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Woodsrover

Took some photos of the shingle jig today.

Here's an overview of the whole thing.  It'll take two cants and cut two shingles at a time.

Here you can see the cam that tilts the front of the cant up from level.  The four bolts heads you see on the crossbars allow me to adjust the taper from 3/4" in 24" to zero.  With the bolts all the way down it cuts about 9/16" in 18" giving me a shingle 1/2" at the fat end and 1/16" at the thin.  You flip that lever back and fourth to kick up the front of the cant.  With the lever back you cut a shingle starting at the thick end.  When that one is cut you flip it the other way, move the saw head down 5/8" and cut the next shingle, thin end first.  You can just see the little pieces of 90-degree steel on the bottom that lock into the crossbar on the mill.  I have a chunk of wood in the back-rest brackets to hold it from sliding.

Another view of the cam with a cant on it.  I'm going to drill a couple holes at the back side at the far end of the cant, one on either side, that will help hold the cant down to the jig.  Besides that it works very well.  Cuts perfect shingles every time!

Peter Drouin

Now thats a nice job making a shingle jig for your mill, good job 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Mike N

Very clever design!  Nice Job!
Woodmizer LT-15  BobCat
If it ain't broke take it apart & find out why!

papow22

8)
One hell of a idea,Love it,Just wondering if you would show that on the Norwood's sawmill mods page.It would give some  :o ideas for us guys that own a Norwood's band mill. :snowball: 
Quote from: Woodsrover on March 20, 2013, 08:32:23 PM
Took some photos of the shingle jig today.

Here's an overview of the whole thing.  It'll take two cants and cut two shingles at a time.

Here you can see the cam that tilts the front of the cant up from level.  The four bolts heads you see on the crossbars allow me to adjust the taper from 3/4" in 24" to zero.  With the bolts all the way down it cuts about 9/16" in 18" giving me a shingle 1/2" at the fat end and 1/16" at the thin.  You flip that lever back and fourth to kick up the front of the cant.  With the lever back you cut a shingle starting at the thick end.  When that one is cut you flip it the other way, move the saw head down 5/8" and cut the next shingle, thin end first.  You can just see the little pieces of 90-degree steel on the bottom that lock into the crossbar on the mill.  I have a chunk of wood in the back-rest brackets to hold it from sliding.

Another view of the cam with a cant on it.  I'm going to drill a couple holes at the back side at the far end of the cant, one on either side, that will help hold the cant down to the jig.  Besides that it works very well.  Cuts perfect shingles every time!

Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

justallan1

Great job. I would imagine you could saw quite a few shingles in an afternoon.
Allan

Woodsrover

Figured I would show you the shingles on the new chicken coop.  All this wood is white pine of our property.  Should have the covered run done in a couple days...I'll post pictures of that too.

dboyt

Very nice!  I just may have to give it go, too.  I like the chicken coop, too.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Michel Blouin

I really like that jig, its exactly what I want to build for mine.
I looked at the cam...is it made from steel tubing, and if so, i thought to put a tubing side to side instead of only 2 pieces, one each end. I could make plug welding on the shaft. 
What do do you think about that?

Thank You Sponsors!