iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help! I'm busting bands

Started by justallan1, March 28, 2013, 04:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Adjust the turnbuckle and you can make it so that it will stop completely!

The turnbuckle is inside, behind the up down motor.

If you go to WM web site, you should be able to find it and see how it adjusts blade engagement and the brake!

Be safe my friend!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Okrafarmer

Ok, I will have a look. Thanks. You know me, I always need a kick in the pants to fix something if it produces the way it is. Dad and I did get the band wheels adjusted to where I could install the guard on the idler wheel, though, so safety does progress around here.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

GAB

I got an entire flat pack of bad blades (box of 15) that all broke in the weld.  I broke 6 the same day.  There must have been a problem at the factory when they welded these.  W-M replaced the entire box.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Okrafarmer on March 31, 2013, 11:05:14 PM
Ok, I will have a look. Thanks. You know me, I always need a kick in the pants to fix something if it produces the way it is. Dad and I did get the band wheels adjusted to where I could install the guard on the idler wheel, though, so safety does progress around here.

I didn't see any turnbuckle, but I did see a pad of soft material that is supposed to rest against the belt when the drive is disengaged. It think that soft material is simply worn away to where it is no longer stopping the belt. I will see if I can unbolt it and shift it over.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Nomad

Quote from: Okrafarmer on April 01, 2013, 10:55:34 PM
Quote from: Okrafarmer on March 31, 2013, 11:05:14 PM

I didn't see any turnbuckle, but I did see a pad of soft material that is supposed to rest against the belt when the drive is disengaged. It think that soft material is simply worn away to where it is no longer stopping the belt. I will see if I can unbolt it and shift it over.

The turnbuckle is for adjusting the drive belt tension.  You're looking at the correct place to adjust the brake.  It needs to be checked any time the drive belt is messed with.  Check your owner's manual or call WM for the brake procedure; it's easy to overdo it and your brake pad may be shot anyway.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Okrafarmer

The blade stops eventually, usually, but that may depend on various factors such as temperature, engine idling characteristics (engine is not quite right in the head, if you know what I mean) and blade lube flow.

Jeff

On the older mills, there is no turn buckle to adjust the brake. You must loosen the braking belt bolts, adjust the belt, then retighten the bolts.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

haywire woodlot

Okra, on my '92 lt40, used to have the old style fibre brake band, it was rather susceptible to breaking. I replaced it with the retrofit kit from WM, it's a preformed metal band with brake lining on it, it bolts on in place of the old one. Now the band stops dead as soon as the clutch is disengaged. The cost was less than $200, a worthwhile upgrade for older mills.
Dave

justallan1

Well WoodMizer just got my business for blades! I called and explained the blades breaking on the welds and without needing to send them the broken ones first they are sending me new ones. I can get them a couple bucks cheaper elsewhere, but when you get treated like they just did me, that's who I'll do business with.
Allan

Robert Duval

We stopped buying blades from Hudson not long after we bought the mill from them. I deal strictly with WMresharp now. Not sure which guides the HFE21 has but if it has the same shoe type guides as the 328 oscar check them for build up. Our oscar killed 3 blades before we figured out the extra tention from the sawdust build up was snapping the welds on the blades. When you change out blades take a razorblade and use the back edge of it to scrape off the inside of the shoes where the blade rides.

Nomad

Quote from: Jeff on April 02, 2013, 09:31:20 AM
On the older mills, there is no turn buckle to adjust the brake. You must loosen the braking belt bolts, adjust the belt, then retighten the bolts.

Same thing on my '08 LT50.  The turnbuckle is only for the main drive belt.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Grizzly

Quote from: kelLOGg on March 29, 2013, 05:57:15 AM
I used to break a lot of bands and then I discovered that my down pressure was too great. I corrected that and now I rarely break one. I have since also reduced the tension to the point of onset of flutter. It makes the entry kerf a little wide but settles down quickly.

Bob

ya'll talk about down pressure and it's negative effect. this is the setting of the guide wheels versus the position of the drive & idler wheels? also logmaster recommends as much as 5000psi on their mill. i haven't found any other reference to that high of a pressure anywhere else on here. any education for me?
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

justallan1

Quote from: Robert Duval on April 02, 2013, 08:18:05 PM
We stopped buying blades from Hudson not long after we bought the mill from them. I deal strictly with WMresharp now. Not sure which guides the HFE21 has but if it has the same shoe type guides as the 328 oscar check them for build up. Our oscar killed 3 blades before we figured out the extra tention from the sawdust build up was snapping the welds on the blades. When you change out blades take a razorblade and use the back edge of it to scrape off the inside of the shoes where the blade rides.
Thanks Robert. I'll take a look at them.
Nothing against Hudson, but if I can save by just going through WM, then that's what I'm doing also.
Allan

kelLOGg

Quote from: Grizzly on April 02, 2013, 10:19:55 PM
ya'll talk about down pressure and it's negative effect. this is the setting of the guide wheels versus the position of the drive & idler wheels?

Yes. The guide wheels press the blade down from where it would be if there were no guide wheels at all. It is usually specified in inches not in PSI. I use 5/16".
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Jeff on April 02, 2013, 09:31:20 AM

??? Hmm. Mine doesn't seem to have either a turnbuckle or a braking belt, but I shall have to examine it some more. I'll look when I get there.

Meanwhile, I've got more custom logs to saw. . . .

Jeff

I went out and got up under the tarp and took a few photos to show the braking belt on my mill. You tighten it by loosening the clamping bolts, adjust the belt, then re-tighten. I would have removed the sawdust  so you could see better, but its froze. ;)

Chuck White

Jeff, your brake strap is the same as on my FIL's '92 LT40G28 manual mill, my '95 LT40HDG24 has a steel strap with a brake-pad lining!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Jeff on April 03, 2013, 11:39:36 AM
I went out and got up under the tarp and took a few photos to show the braking belt on my mill. You tighten it by loosening the clamping bolts, adjust the belt, then re-tighten. I would have removed the sawdust  so you could see better, but its froze. ;)

Thank you, Jeff. It would appear that my mill does not have that pulley or wheel (seen on the left hand side of the second picture) and the associated belt.  I will check on my spare sawmill and see if it has one. The one I use is a 1990 and the spare parts mill is an 89.

BTW, I believe I have your old lapsider attachment now.  ;)

Jeff

That wasn't ever mine. It was my friend Lou's. I sold it for him via the Forum.  :)

Solomon

Hi folks.  Haven't been on here for a while. Saw this thread and had to chime in.  I have had my mill since January of 2008 and have never had a broken blade.  Have I just gotten lucky and beat the odds?   I have a hydraulic tentioner.  Steel band wheels , using inch and a half 7/8 Munkfor blades.  .o55 thick. I tighen them up to about 6000 lbs and use red diesel for lubricant.   Any thoughts on this?
Now just watch, the very next time I turn the blade it will break because I'm talking about it.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Okrafarmer

Solomon, I don't think I've ever broken a Munkfors blade. I used some, but not enough to be an expert on them.

6,000 lbs? Really?
(I mean, I believe you, but is that what your mill manual calls for?)

Solomon

Quote from: Okrafarmer on April 04, 2013, 06:42:23 PM
Solomon, I don't think I've ever broken a Munkfors blade. I used some, but not enough to be an expert on them.

6,000 lbs? Really?
(I mean, I believe you, but is that what your mill manual calls for?)
Might be less than that. I pump it up till the guage says 6000.  Its one of those dial guages that has hydraulic oil in it.  Screws into the top of the tentioner piston. 
All I know for certian is Logmaster told me to pump it up to 5500 to 6000 on the guage.   Perhaps I should investigate the gauge and find out what the reading on it really means.   
My band wheels are 30 inch diameter steel on steel. Baldes are inch and a half ,   19 ft 1 inch..   
  Still have you address and a few cases of Moxie !!!!
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Okrafarmer

Just surprised, because our Woodmizer book recommends 2200-2300 psi. My sawmill has the same sort of pressure gauge you are describing. I'm just wondering if your mill, being stressed for higher pressure, cuts flatter lumber with less dipping.

Man, I think you can order Moxie from Amazon. Cheaper shipping and a lot less trouble!

Magicman

Moxie would be Maximum Band Busting Pressure.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

Moxie is "Sea Foam" for humans. It's just a good thing Popeye never got ahold of it, or there might not be any thing left unbroken in the whole cartoon world.

Thank You Sponsors!