iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new question about sawing wood see i am new to this

Started by 44woody, March 29, 2013, 09:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

44woody

i read somewhere that somoene is spraying somehting on the wood before they sticker stack it. why they be sprayin it on there and what is it for.

WDH

To prevent insect infestation if the lumber will be air dried only and not heated in a kiln.  In some parts of the country, and especially in the South, powderpost beetles will infest your dry lumber and ruin it.  A spray can be made using a borate salt, Disodium Octaborate Tetrahydrate, mixed in water.  The borate is safe for most critters, but deadly for insects. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

44woody

ok thank you very much  ill have to get me some of that stuff and make it.

44woody

someone told me to try bleach for the bugs an mold i tryed it the bugs left do yall think it well last to take care of them the guy said mix it three to one

beenthere

The bleach would be good for the mold/mildew. That mix is plenty strong, as the mold is pretty easy to kill.

If I sorted out your sentences  ::) , I gather you think it chased off the bugs too? That would be interesting.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

Like Beenthere said bleach should do a good job against mold. I'm guessing it will kill any ug you actually spray, but it's not long lasting. Once the bleach dries off, it's gone, and new bugs can come back. It also wont get any grubs that are deep in the wood. The mold isn't so bad, hopefully the wood gets dry enough before it starts to grow again.

The Borate is a salt, and it's left on the wood when the water dries off. This discourages new bugs from infesting the wood as they lay their eggs in that surface area, that's still full of Boron and is toxic to them. Even if you haven't killed all the larvae deep in the wood, you will have stopped them re-infesting it when they mature.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

44woody

slider

I think wdh uses solubor,any farm supply should carry it.
al glenn

dboyt

Some places spray anchorseal on the ends of the boards to prevent end checking, though this is usually done to the log.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

44woody

will it work putting the bug stuff in the blade cooling tank?

Red Clay Hound

You need to soak the wood pretty good with the Solubor solution so I doubt it would do much good to just put it in your lube tank.  Only need to spray species that are prone to PPB attack like oak and hickory.  I don't spray my walnut, cherry, cedar or pine.
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

44woody

ok  im new to this thanks red clay hound what bugs dont mess with the pine

Red Clay Hound

I have never had problems with powder post beetles in southern yellow pine.  I know some on here have reported infestations, but I have not.  I have never found it necessary to spray pine lumber.
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

WDH

The powderpost beetle that is so bad on hardwood does not infest pine (thank goodness).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!