iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I was in hopes of white oak

Started by Tee, April 03, 2013, 12:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

In the 4th pic you see small checks the black lines, r oak there not that define, I say w oak, put w oak in the sun and the checks will open up, and w oak is best to put out in the weather, at least thats what the guys that build wooden boats say ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

Pretty sure those are not checks. I wouldn't bet against whiteoak, but looking at everything I still would say red. If I had a better picture of the bark on the log I'd be more sure.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Jeff on April 03, 2013, 07:19:21 PM
Pretty sure those are not checks. I wouldn't bet against whiteoak, but looking at everything I still would say red. If I had a better picture of the bark on the log I'd be more sure.

Im not sure either , some times pics on the FF are to far away to see the bark of a tree,
so to FF members get closer pics If you want to ID a tree :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Sorry folks, that is definitely a big red oak.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rambo

isawlogs

I am glad to see that there is a unanimity to the fact that it is Oak.  :P   I would also beleive that it is a Red Oak.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

mikeb1079

sure looks like red to me.  beautiful either way though.... :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

elk42

Hello Tee                                                                                                               That is a red oak' just sawed  red oak and white oak two days ago.   smiley_clapping
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

customsawyer

I am with the others that says Red Oak.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

mesquite buckeye

All my shingle oaks have big rays  like that. Another red oak. If you soak it up with cuprinol, it will stink for a while, but will hold up better.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Seaman

Folks here are bad to use ( GULP ) burnt motor oil to seal trailer decks.
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

bandmiller2

Plenty good for a trailer deck,slap some Maine stain on it and don't hold your breath til it goes bad. White #1,red#2 black way down the list. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Tee

Here are a couple more pics. The stickered picture would be the same area as the first post just after drying for 24 hours.
After reading several peoples feedback saying red is ok, just not first choice,(for trailer decking) I may go ahead and use it. Just soak it down with linseed oil. That way I don't have to store it indefinitely.

Mr. Gene, if you happen to read this I'll be glad to take you up on your offer and send you a piece to decide one way or the other. I would like to buy one of your books I think I remember hearing about also.

beenthere

Quote from: Seaman on April 04, 2013, 06:46:30 AM
Folks here are bad to use ( GULP ) burnt motor oil to seal trailer decks.

What is "burnt" motor oil?  meaning "used" ? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

CalebL

I soak the ends of my white oak posts in used oil before I put them in the ground.  It may not help, but it makes me feel better. 

I spray diesel on my trailer boards once a year. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tee

It rained here today so here they are soaking wet. They are pretty but not what I was looking for.

SAnVA

I would like to have seen a close-up of the bark, but the picture you posted of it sitting on the mill, looked like a white oak, especially toward the butt! In any case, can you still buy creosote, I used to buy it and paint truck beds and fence boards, and the bottom 2 feet of locust fence post. I see a lot of talk on here of people using white oak for posts in the ground, that is unheard of around here, nothing in the ground except locust or maybe a red cedar in a pinch but locust is the preferred wood for post. If you can't find creosote then I would paint them with burnt motor oil!

WDH

White oak does not have tight bark with silver streaks.  Northern red oak does, shumard oak does, and scarlet oak does.  Looks like shumard oak or scarlet oak.  You need an acorn to tell them apart for sure if you do not have the site that they are growing to help you.  Not likely a northern red oak in Moncks's Corner, SC. 

WDH

Hey Tee,

I spent a part of a summer near you eons ago at the old Westvaco "Duke Camp".  Hot as Hades. 

Tee

WDH, Do you remember the area it was in? They had a huge tract in the Cordesville area that is literally 100 feet on the side of me. It's on the Cooper River.
I still have a section about 8' long I cut off I could take a picture of but by now, this provably should have been in the ID section.

WDH

All is that it was an old WWII Prisoner of War Camp, very very rustic (very very), and the closet town to buy groceries was Moncks Corner.  It was somewhere between Ridgeville and Moncks Corner deep in the sticks.  I remember fishing for channel catfish on the rip rap at the dam on Lake Moultrie.

scsmith42

The latest issue of sawmill and woodlot has a nice article about wood treatments that you can apply yourself. 

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Seaman

Beenthere, Sorry, we call used motor oil "burnt"
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Thank You Sponsors!