iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I was in hopes of white oak

Started by Tee, April 03, 2013, 12:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giant splinter

I would surly not waste that beautiful oak on a trailer deck, have you got any cottonwood trees there? most of the trailer deck replacements in the PNW are done with cottonwood .... it seems to be the main replacement decking on lowbed rigs because its light and strong as well as rot resistant.
roll with it

beenthere

Being rot resistant is a new classification for Cottonwood.  ::)
But trailer deck replacements might still be a good use of the Cottonwood. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I know they use cottonwood a lot for trailer decking where preferable species simply are not available or economically feasible. Rot Resistant?  That's gotta be a new strain of cottonwood.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mesquite buckeye

We had a farm wagon covered with cottonwood decking. Great non-slip surface, but the wood curled up quite a bit.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Tee

G. Splinter, no we don't have cottonwood here that I'm aware of. I did list it locally for sale. I would like to wait on white but we'll see.

SwampDonkey

They use treated spruce decking here on some trailers. I do not know enough about that industry to say anything about oak being imported for it's use on trailer decks. We do not live in an oak forest up here and we do make trailers locally. I do know that any on the farm here was spruce lumber.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!