iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cutting inch and a half lumber

Started by muskoka guy, April 03, 2013, 10:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Migal

Ironically this post came up today. Yes I saved Sixacresand's chart. LOL I started building a small building to store wood in,Hmmm Found out it was pretty expensive to get 3.5" nails for my nailer all I had was 3.25" and bookoo's of 3". That being said. All I had was some dead oak logs and a few black walnut. so I cut out 35 6/4x16/4 oak studs and no I still have the black walnut log  8) but ended up being pretty easy other than off loading by my self. :D I have photo cell setworks but was to set on leaving then set at 1" due to thats what I cut most for other's mabey tomorrow I will set at 1.5" If I need more Did like the oak studs.
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Chuck White

I figure my kerf like this:

I use .045" thickness bands and set at .025", so:

.045 + .025 set left + .025 set right = .095 total kerf.

So rounded off, kerf = 1/10".
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Chuck White on April 05, 2013, 07:14:07 AM
I figure my kerf like this:

I use .045" thickness bands and set at .025", so:

.045 + .025 set left + .025 set right = .095 total kerf.

So rounded off, kerf = 1/10".

You're closer to me than the rest, Chuck.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hackberry jake

Quote from: Sixacresand on April 04, 2013, 09:05:46 PM
With help from reading this Forum, I made this chart for my LT10, which is based on a 1/8" kerth.  I have to set the head height manually and if I read the ruler correctly, then the thickness of the board is correct (or close enough to suit me).  I can mill any thickness.  I recently cut a cherry log for a guy who wanted 7/8" thick, which was not problem.  The only problem was I wanted $25 and all the guy had was twenties, so all i got was $20.  Somebody already posted on the Forum to keep plenty of change for the guys who pack big bills. LOL

Pretty handy chart sixacresand. I have every scale I have ever used scribbled on the walls of my sawshed.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Brucer

I cut to whatever thickness the customer asks for. Two years ago I was cutting 5/16" material.

My business cards say "custom sawing", and that's what I do.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

GAB

For one customer I sawed some 64/4 x 64/4 out of hard maple.  For the same customer I sawed some 5/32" and 5/16" thick material for shaker boxes.  For two other customers I sawed 1/2" material for paneling.  Sawed some 3/4" thick NWC for bird houses.  My mill has 16 set points and I have a different thickness set in all of them.  The kerf is set at 1/8" in the computer.  I have never used the scales supplied with the mill and if I had to I'd have to take the books out and go to school.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

beenthere

QuoteFor one customer I sawed some 64/4 x 64/4 out of hard maple

Is 64/4 a 16" ?  or a typo and is 6/4?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rmack

Quote from: WDH on April 04, 2013, 08:58:29 AM
If you saw it proud by 1/8" thick and wide, and the air dry it, it will shrink pretty close to the same dimension as store bought lumber except that it won't have been planed smooth.  The big pine sawmills in the South saw green at about 1.75" maybe just a shade less, kiln dry it to 19% in one day, and plane it.

does that hold true with timbers as well?

for instance, if I cut 6x6 or 12x12 out of green logs, I would add 1/8" to have them dry close to the right size?

the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

WDH

The wider and thicker, the more shrinkage.  1/8" is probably not enough allowance for shrinkage for a 12" wide timber.  There are shrinkage calculators that you can use to estimate the amount of shrinkage based on dimensions.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

CalebL

I also figure in 1/8" for kerf even though it is under that, it's just easier to figure when cutting.  Here is a chart I use when cutting nominal size lumber.  As discussed earlier in another thread, sometimes the lumber shrinks more or less but I haven't had anyone complain and have had several repeat customers.

2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

GAB

Beenthere:  It was not a typo 64/4 x 64/4 or 16" x 16".  The pieces were heavy.  Also had to start with fair size tree to get this size beams without wane.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

fishpimp

I run the .45s and my kerf seems to run around the 1/8 mark also.
I swiped this card off my brother the tool maker.
im workn on a set of calipers also from him.

drobertson

Fishpimp, two questions, how many ponds have you snuck into?  ;D and why did it take you so long to post that handy chart ;D   all things considered, folks with accuset or similar setworks have a "Lil" advantage in my opinion. I usually set for 1-5/8 for 2x's  and add an 1/8th for the according width for dimesional lumber.  the main consideration I have always stuck with is consistancy throughout the build, or matching the existing lumber.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

fishpimp

Quote from: drobertson on April 08, 2013, 09:43:29 PM
Fishpimp, two questions, how many ponds have you snuck into?  ;D and why did it take you so long to post that handy chart ;D   all things considered, folks with accuset or similar setworks have a "Lil" advantage in my opinion. I usually set for 1-5/8 for 2x's  and add an 1/8th for the according width for dimesional lumber.  the main consideration I have always stuck with is consistancy throughout the build, or matching the existing lumber.   david
answer # 1
I learnt from my older brother mistakes. Lets just say i can run faster.  Hahahahah a large uniform guy took dads favorite feeshn pole home with him!!!
Long day sawin , haulin, and stacking .my backyard is lookin like my buddies boat. Complete disaster . I'm like a antique hoarder when comes to slabs and unique pieces of wood.
My wife called me a tree hugger today ....

My mill has accuset 2 itself. Absolutely awesome  if u ask me . Auto down is my best friend . Although my first board in auto down mode is a little bit light.
I hardly ever use my scale . It will probably come back and bite me like that 40" musky did !!!

Okrafarmer

I've been milling pine 2X6's today. Just using the 6/4 scale. I hope that's ok. I made a few that were 8/4, and the customer decided to go smaller. Framing a small barn here, and it will probably be over-kill as it is. I am making them a whole 6" wide.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Brucer

Quote from: rmack on April 07, 2013, 09:38:22 PM
for instance, if I cut 6x6 or 12x12 out of green logs, I would add 1/8" to have them dry close to the right size?

For flat-sawn Douglas-Fir I see about 1/2" shrinkage per foot of width. For edge grain it's about 1/4" per foot of width. That's air-drying from green wood to 10% moisture content.

A boxed-heart timber will shrink about 1/2" per foot of width, assuming checking is approximately equal on all 4 faces.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

rmack

Quote from: Brucer on April 09, 2013, 02:07:14 AM
Quote from: rmack on April 07, 2013, 09:38:22 PM

For flat-sawn Douglas-Fir I see about 1/2" shrinkage per foot of width. For edge grain it's about 1/4" per foot of width. That's air-drying from green wood to 10% moisture content.

A boxed-heart timber will shrink about 1/2" per foot of width, assuming checking is approximately equal on all 4 faces.

Thanks Bruce, I'm guessing edge grain is same as quarter sawn. that's good to know... it would be awful embarrassing to cut timbers that ended up being under sized.  :D

Edit; took over night to sink in, but I think I got it, shrinkage will be different depending which direction relative to the grain. :)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Thank You Sponsors!