iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This could be my breakout week ....

Started by scully, April 03, 2013, 11:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scully

Despite the crap weather this week I could not wait any longer ! I took down a walnut tree for my buddys daughter ,naturaly I didn't charge much,but I hauled that thing home ! Even the liters etc . I flitched the whole thing and was shocked at how nice the slabs were ! The log was only about 7'6" but 30+ inches in dia so it made some nice stuff that I can use or sell , The biggie is my first mobile job at a winery over on the lake ! I had to wait a few weeks to get in there but tomorrow will be in the 50's and it's on ! Just a random pile of so so logs maybe a couple good ones but this could be a long term deal ! I told them about the flitch's and they expressed interest in buying them ! They are also going to build a timber frame pavilion and suggested that I would most likely need to mill the timbers ! I was trying to down play my excitement but to be honest I am more than a little happy right now ! This is what I've been waiting for ! Today marks 8 months since I lost my job ,I got my mill within 2 months of that and decided to put 30 yrs. of tryin it their way behind me and go for what I have always loved . The tuff winter made me doubt some ,but now the sun is starting to shine ! Just wanted to share with folks that get it !
I bleed orange  .

bedway

You da man scully, The grass is greener if ya keep your eyes open ;)

Tree Feller

I'm pulling for you, Scully. I admire anyone trying to make a living by doing honest work and, of course, I'm partial to sawyers, anyway.   ;)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

customsawyer

Best of luck to you. Good things come to good folks.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

dgdrls

Best to you Scully,  which Winery at you going to?

DGDrls

m wood

wow scully, I can feel your excitment.  way to go and good luck...they say our weather may be turning up now!  Im getting out too!
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Peter Drouin

Good for you and good luck, and yes it has been a long winter :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Seaman

Good news indeed! The long term jobs are what I am focusing on myself, and it really is good to see the weather break for you Latitude Challenged folks.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Chuck White

Good to see that someone in NY has been out sawing already!

I figure I'll pull my mill out in another couple of weeks!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

rooster 58

Go Scully Go 8)  I'm in the same boat as you with 3 yrs. on top of yoy. i know how you feel, as i'm just starting out myself. I can't wait to compare notes in a few months smiley_beertoast

justallan1

The best of luck to you, Scully. I sure hope everything works for the best.
Allan

thecfarm

Scully,we get it!!! Good luck on the timber job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

I'm excited and hopeful for you, too. Best wishes and good luck scully! :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Cedarman

I like bartering with wineries.  I got paid 2 cases of wine for the haul bill.  We drank our monies worth over the next few months.
I remember my first custom job 30 years ago.  One of the logs was magic man's favorite. SG.
Have fun.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

scully

Well if it wass in the 50's today it was 30 and windy on the bay ! the first 2 logs were poplar and not good so I wasted no time and milled them right into stickers ! Lots of ash most had unreal stress ,so a couple went right to 4x4 donage . I don't have a BF count yet but I think  I broke 500 + in 6 hrs . Got a good rythem going after lunch production picked up real good . I have 8 logs left and they are the best of the lot so I hope to deliver the wow factor as I finish up tomorrow . I got about 4 hours sleep last nite and was up at 5 this AM LOL ! Just a tad tard now ! But I feel like I won today !
I bleed orange  .

Thank You Sponsors!