iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hyd. Log Dog for B20

Started by ND rancher, April 04, 2013, 08:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ND rancher

I've searching for photos from members who have done this and came up empty.Can anybody help? I have an idea,just looking to see if its right or wrong, hopefully saving some trial and error time.Or maybe a photo of newer models log dog setup?  Thank You!    Keith
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

Tom the Sawyer

Keith,

What year is your B-20 ?  Mine is a 2007 and has the hydraulic log dog (clamp).  If your's is older and/or doesn't have that function I could get photos of the factory-style setup for you.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

redbeard

I think you've seen mine before its modified with a push pull marine type steering cable I have 4-1/2" of max. Height. Been working really good for me.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

ND rancher

Tom, any photo's would be greatly appreciated,thanks. Mine is a 2000 mod. Where are they pulling hyd. from? Main stack or diverted?                                                                                                                                        Jeff, thanks for the photos, I had already looked at yours, simple but efficient. I scored a 1x9 cylinder for 0$ so thought that's the way I would go. I think I have a divert valve and spool here too.

Ga Mtn Man

There are some pics of the TK 2000 clamp in my gallery in the "TK2000 mods" album if you'd like to see how that's set up.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

redbeard

Keith I considered putting a cylinder on it but the acme screw could bend or weaken if you are thinking of lifting with it. Also if it dosen't give when a can't or a stack of boards your edging falls on it, that could be a problem. Mine gives real easy and don't have to worry if something falls or drops on it.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

redbeard

Also my log clamp doesn't flip down like TK   design its fixed to just fully retract below bunks.

Tom the Sawyer

Keith,

I was on a job today and was able to snap some pics.  If you need a closeup of any part of the system just let me know. 

There is a hydraulic motor that moves the dog in and out to clamp the log and a hydraulic cylinder that moves the dog up and down to regulate the height.  Both are plumbed directly to the bank of levers at the operator's station.

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

ND rancher

Thanks Tom, I can see everything well. Talked TK on Fri. and they priced that setup at around 1500$. Going to have to figure out what I want to do. Might just go with Jeff's boat control for now, if I find one.   Keith

batteryman

Tom

Is that design heavy enough to flip a cant? So you don't have to use log turner.  And does it have enough power to pull log over against the log stops.  I have 1996 B20 and do not like the acme screw design.   Thinking about building a new log dog.
Timberking B-20
Husqvarna 394XP, 372XP, 371XP, 254XP, 55 Rancher, 338XPT and a Sthil MS 361

Ga Mtn Man

Tom's clamp looks to be the same as the one TK is putting on the 2000.  It has a lot of clamping power and will move all but the very heaviest of logs.  The chain turner can assist in moving the really big ones.  It can lift just about any log but only pops up 5" above the log deck, which means it can only flip smaller cants.  Larry, I and perhaps some other 2000 owners have modified the clamp to rise up 11.5".  The modified clamp works very well but some beefing up of the slider/mount is necessary since the factory slider/mount isn't stout enough to handle the increased torque of the taller clamp and will eventually fail.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Thank You Sponsors!