iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting construction lumber

Started by firefighter ontheside, June 06, 2018, 06:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

I'm going to cut my first construction lumber tomorrow.  I have some big yellow pine logs that I'm going to cut with the plan to build my solar kiln with the wood.  I've reviewed Magicman's sequence of cutting pictures that I saved and am going to follow.  Wish me luck.  This coincides with me having a tractor big enough to move the logs more easily.  Pictures tomorrow.....
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SawyerTed

Good luck!  That's part of what I'm doing this week.

That Magicman is an awesome resource among the many great folks here!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Skipper11A

A big tractor makes all the difference.  Good luck on your sawing!

firefighter ontheside

I did it just like Magicman laid out in a series of pictures he posted.  It went perfectly.   I got 5 wide 4/4 boards and 50 2x4's out of the 28" yellow pine log.  These are destined to become my solar kiln.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

PC-Urban-Sawyer

What are you doing drying that SYP?  Don't you know you should be building with it while it's green, it'll just get harder if you let it dry?

Just kidding.  Nice looking stack of 2x4s...

Herb

firefighter ontheside

The tree has been down for a long time and it was time to get it cut.  I stacked it close to where I'm going to build my kiln.  Hopefully I'll get that built this summer.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

PA_Walnut

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on June 06, 2018, 06:08:05 PMI've reviewed Magicman's sequence of cutting pictures that I saved and am going to follow.

Can someone point me to MagicMan's sequence pix, please. Would like to check it out.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Sixacresand

Glad it did not have any stress and bend on you. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

firefighter ontheside

This is the sequence that I'm referring to by MM.  Go down a bit in the thread and you'll find the series of pictures depicting how to cut 2x4's.
http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=82152.msg1252824#msg1252824

@PA_Walnut
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: Sixacresand on June 08, 2018, 08:35:57 AM
Glad it did not have any stress and bend on you.
No real stress.  Just had some wavy cuts when I got to some big knots.  No big deal. I'm not building a piano.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Dad2FourWI

That looks like some nice lumber!   ;D

We too are planning and prepping for a solar kiln... we are using the ideas from Jim Birkemeier - Timbergreen Farm... what plans are you using??

Thanks,
-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

firefighter ontheside

Thanks.  I was kind of combining lots of ideas.  Mine will have no electricity, so I will use a solar powered fan.  I will make it on 6x6 skids.  I will have a 45° roof.  I will paint insides black after lots of insulation.  I have seen numerous parts of old walk-in freezers posted on FB.  Toying with using those.  I will have a large opening on back.  I will make removable panels that can be taken off and swinging doors to make the rest of the opening.  I want to be able to use forks to set a whole stack in there at one time.  When I get closer, I will look at some more plans like you mentioned.  It will be 6x12 to fit the longest lumber I can cut.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

samandothers

Looks great! Good job and I am sure you learned somethings.  I like you log loader.

WV Sawmiller

I cut a big red oak just like that yesterday. Cut 2- 2" flitches then a 5/4 board to make the math work right then cut 3-6" cants and turned them on edge and cut 2X6s out of them. I centered the pith in the middle cant with the heart check parallel to the deck so it did not show up in the boards. Worked great.

As mentioned throughout these threads you need to know where you are wanting to go before you ever start your first cut.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

It probably should be noted again....again that the framing lumber that I saw is all from SYP.  I have no idea how that would work out with other species.  I imagine that if you sawed a Yellow Poplar like that you might end up with a Yellow Banana.   ::)   Also not opening the faces so that the saw through is from either the hump or horn face could make a whack of "C's".   :o 

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

That was a yellow pine species that I can't type into my iPad, because every time I do it puts a smiley face in the middle of the word.  What kind of tree is it?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

Loblolly. It probably would actually post the word because there is no space before/after the
lol
It's not your iPad.  You are typing the code for laughing.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

I wasn't using any spaces.  I just tested and you're right.  Before I hit the button, it shows the smiley in the word, but when I post it shows it correctly.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

clintnelms

Quote from: Magicman on June 09, 2018, 11:29:10 AM
It probably should be noted again....again that the framing lumber that I saw is all from SYP.  I have no idea how that would work out with other species.  I imagine that if you sawed a Yellow Poplar like that you might end up with a Yellow Banana.   ::)   Also not opening the faces so that the saw through is from either the hump or horn face could make a whack of "C's".   :o

Pretty sure I saw a post of you discussing cutting logs with a hump and horn. If I recall you always start your cut with the horns on their side facing out, correct? Do you mind clarifying a little more what you mean above by not cutting through the hump or horn. Trying to images what you mean. Seems like that would be inevitable that you'd have to cut through them after a turn or two.

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: samandothers on June 09, 2018, 10:20:31 AM
Looks great! Good job and I am sure you learned somethings.  I like you log loader.
Thanks.  I had an idea and then someone else here had already made one, so I built what I had in mind along with some of his ideas.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Dad2FourWI

We are looking forward to hearing/seeing more!!!

We are still trying to figure out what projects will be tackled this year... which is flying by too quickly! 

We traveled to Spring Green, WI this last Monday to check out Jim Birkemeier's kilns and they were very interesting!!! - lots of ideas.....  ;D
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

Magicman

clintnelms, yes I normally turn logs until the horns face the loader which means that the second face opening removes the horns.  This also means that the fourth face opening and saw through is on the hump side of the log.  If I opened either the horn or hump face first I would have to make an extra turn to reach either the horn or hump face for the saw through.  That plus all of my sawing sequence would be out of whack.

The horns toward the loader insures that the sawmill head will pass the log whereas if the horns are toward the side supports, they may very well become an obstruction.

Sawing through from either the hump or horn faces makes lumber that will bow rather than crook.  Bowed framing lumber can be straightened by the carpenter whereas badly crooked lumber may be unusable full length.  This procedure also works well with lumber that will be used as paneling and siding.

Note that woodworkers may not accept bowed lumber but would rather have flat boards that can/will be edged straight.  Again, different face opening and sawing techniques depending upon the lumber use.  The cut list matters.

firefighter ontheside

Thanks, that's good info MM.  Very true that I can straighten out a bowed 2x4 when building with it, but a bowed slab of walnut is not usable as a long piece in general.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

LeeB

I do pretty much the same as Lynn, but I rotate 180° after the first face before dealing with the horns/hump. On logs with a lot of taper this lets me get a better view of where to position the log with the toe boards to minimize loss. Maybe not particularly efficient as far as time use goes, but I cut for my own use pretty much these days and look to grab every bf from a log that I can.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!