iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newman 48 planer/Moulder

Started by Bpski, November 14, 2018, 09:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bpski

I'm new to the forum and to woodworking in general,but my questions are,do any of you guys run a Newman 48 planer/Moulder,if so are parts,cutter heads and planer knives still available to buy for this old of a machine.Before I pull the pin and buy the thing I'd like some feedback.All feedback is appreciated.
Thanks

Quebecnewf

II am quite sure you can get any knives or cutters you need. Most of this is considered consumable and was being changed often .

Do you have any pics you can post .

Is it like this one?

Quebecnewf 

Bpski

I have a couple pics I'll try to post,but the only difference I see between the two is that the one I'm looking at is driven by belts not chain.The machine does have four sets of tongue and groove cutters,but no extra planer knives.It would be a nice up grade to a helical planer head but not sure if Newman or any other companies offer an upgrade

Quebecnewf

Here is another pic . Not sure if you can go with the helix head on this planer . Might be expensive even if you can . 

What are you planning to power it with and what are you planning to plane with it ?

Quebecnewf 

TKehl

Byrd will make you about anything if you send them your old head to work from.  It's only $$.   ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

ddcuning

Depending on age whether you can get anything from Newman. Newman does not supply parts for most of the older machines. I have two Newman 8B four sided planers and found you can get the horizontal knives but cannot get the T&G knives or the vertical knives. Have to have those made from what I can tell.  One of my 8B's is together and has been rebuilt. I just bought a Detroit 471 to run it and a shavings removal fan and hope to get it operational by spring. 

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

Bpski

Quote from: Quebecnewf on November 16, 2018, 04:51:20 AM

Here is another pic . Not sure if you can go with the helix head on this planer . Might be expensive even if you can .

What are you planning to power it with and what are you planning to plane with it ?

Quebecnewf
Sorry for the delayed response,the machine comes with a 40hp electric 3ph motor witch won't do me much good without a phase converter and they don't give those away.My plan is to run it off a gas or Diesel engine like ddcuning is going to do,and I'm building a  log house in two years and want to make the roof sheeting,and flooring for it.I have most of the flooring sawn up and some of the prices I've been getting to plan it and T&G it has been more pricey than buying this machine

TKehl

Are thinking of buying this for just the one house?  If so, I'd encourage you to look at a heavy duty shaper with a power feeder or a Woodmaster.  (The Woodmaster has the advantage of being a multi use tool.)  It will be more handling labor, but easier to move, tool, and much easier to resell.  It may be about a wash on time if including the knife setup, moving the equipment, and any repairs.

Another alternate is to use shiplap instead of tounge and groove using a table saw and dado blade.

If you have plans for selling moulding down the line or just want it and have the $, then by all means go for it!   ;D

For perspective, I have a Berlin 108 similar, analogous to the Newman.  It's a beast!  (Picture shows me very tired after three and a half hours with come along, pipe, and jacks.  The last hour was by flashlight...)

My plan is to set it up to run T&G flooring and only change the widths.  Any other trim will be run on Woodmasters, shapers, or a W&H as they are much easier to set up and knives are much less expensive.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Bpski

TKEHL,
I do plan on using it to make my own flooring for my house and other projects,but I feel there's to many of these machines sitting because there too heavy or there costly to get parts and knives made for but I'd like to save these machines from getting parted out or getting sold for scrap steel.If I can use it and spend a little to get it going again then it's worth it to me

Bpski

If there's anyone out there that knows how much the 48 weighs I'd would appreciate an answer,I'm wondering if my 14 k trailer is heavy enough.

Thank You Sponsors!