iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere 540b

Started by Skiddersally, November 24, 2013, 04:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skiddersally

Hello today it was 10 degrees outside this morning. I started the skidder but I couldn't get the shifter to move. I was wondering if anyone has replaced their shifter cables on a John Deere 540B? I'm thinking this was my problem. Thanks mike

CCC4

On cold morning none of our skidders will go into gear for at least 15 minutes of warm up time.

Skiddersally

I had it running for about an hour. It never did free up now i have it bent from putting heat on it and have to replace it. it looks real fun to get to by the transmission. Thats what i was wondering if there was trick to replacing them.

coxy

you do the same thing as me fix it till its  broke :D

treeslayer2003

there is a little plate on the frame near the trans on the right side, I wish it was bigger. but yea, ya need cables. I had to put them on mine a couple winters ago. think they were like 100 bucks each but shifts good now.

Black_Bear

We used to turn the fan, or replace the summer fan with a winter fan, so that it blew hot air from the engine into the cab area. This keeps your floorboard free from ice and helps in loosening the shifting and winch cable. When it's that cold it does take a few minutes for everything to warm up. Have a coffee, file your saw, do what you have to do while it's warming up. 

PaYoungBuck

That is fairly common around hear. The little rubber seals on the cable tear or nick and allow moisture in. The freeze and your done. If you don't have much oil around the cables you can take one of those little torches and warm them to get you thru. Or a heat gun but you'll have to do it every morning. When you change them get yourself a good long handled pair of needle nosed pliers for the tranny end of the cables.

Maine logger88

If you do get new cables don't buy them from Deere you can get them aftermarket for less than half the price
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Skiddersally

Thanks for all your help. Have a Great day

Thank You Sponsors!