iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Howdy

Started by cntryby, July 10, 2011, 10:56:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cntryby

I looked but didn't didn't see an introduction category, if I missed it you'll just have to harass me.  :D

Names Brad, my brother & I have been looking for a mill for a while. We have considered building one, but are in one of those catch 22 deals where we need a building, to work in but need the mill to supply the lumber for the building.

I've read so much here I have a head ache. I'm interested in anything from an EZ boardwalk 40 to Cooks MP32 to Timberking 1400 to Woodmizer LT28.

I know... I know... Big price range & ability difference.

We have a small bit of property with lots of good pine, where we live, with access to all the equipment we need to handle the logs. But we also have a place approximately 6 hours away that we need to do quite a bit of work at too. Which makes the mills with hydraulics very attractive. Adding a valve & cylinders to the existing circuits of the TK shouldn't be to difficult.

Most of the lumber will be in the 8 to 12 foot range but there will be times we'll need to cut 20 + feet. Adding length to any of the mills will be pretty simple, with the exception WM.

I'm sure as we work through this & get into milling, I'll probably be asking for some "hands on" with someone to help educate me on the milling process.

Anyway. thanks for all the great info on here, look forward to hearing more & more.

Any thoughts on my dilemmas, things I should consider?
Grey haired riders didn't get that way from pure luck.

metalspinner

Welcome aboard, cntryby!  :)

Buy bigger than you think you will need.  Your money will go farther in the used market and there should be no shortage of good options there.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Texas Ranger

Welcome to the board, country boy, there will be a lot of help here in just a little bit, pull up a stump and rest a spell.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

ellmoe

Welcome aboard! I second MS, look at used.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Dan_Shade

How much volume do you think you'll cut?

I like my hydraulics, they make things faster, and are easy on my back.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

cntryby

Thanks guys.  ;D

Off the top of my head, things that would seem important.

Wheel size. (18" min.)
Engine size. (25 HP min.)
Rigid, durable frame.
Cut / throat size. (32" logs min)
Quality engine.

What else?

I have know idea on the volume. It will mostly be used for personal use, but that will be a great deal more than the average Joe.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings to make some $$ on the side as well.

One thing I keep thinking about is, I'm 44 & my brothers older than me. I don't mind working & can work most kids into the ground pretty easy... but... how much longer will that last. Why work so hard & physical?

I've been looking for a used mill for 4 or 5 years. Everything I think is a fair price is beat all ta &%$&^.

redbeard

Welcome, you guys have a good plan, something to consider is a sharpener & setter you could get alot more milage out of the bands. Blade and sharpening costs will be your biggest exspence. Good luck with your building & milling adventures.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

fishpharmer

Welcome to FF cntryby.   Look at and operate all the different kinds of mills you can find before deciding.  Lots of good used equipment out there now.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

cntryby

Quote from: fishpharmer on July 10, 2011, 11:43:15 AM
Lots of good used equipment out there now.

Thanks for the welcome!

Where are they cause apparently I don't know where to look.  :( :-[

fishpharmer

I just sent you a pm.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Tom

You will find mills right here on The Forestry Forum as folks retire or upgrade.

Extending the length of any portable mill, that is on a trailer, is going to be a handful.  All of the "manual" or minimally hydraulic/electric assisted mills that lie on the ground, are the easiest to extend because there is no connection  of the head of the mill to the bed of the mill, other than the wheels. Just add extensions for the wheels to run on.  I've often thought of that as a benefit to having a ground-mounted push mill as a second mill, even if you upgrade to the most fancy mill available.

DanG

Welcome aboard the board board!  Where'bouts in SW Ga are you?  I'm pretty DanG close to there, and always like meeting new folks. :)

I remember several years ago, a new member came in with a first post almost identical to yours, and I responded with just about the same welcome message.  About 3 days later, he was down here sawing on my mill, then about 3 months later, I was up there sawing on his new mill.   Needless to say, we have become good friends along the way. :)  Calls himself Brdmkr, he does.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

cntryby

Quote from: DanG on July 10, 2011, 01:36:41 PM
Welcome aboard the board board!  Where'bouts in SW Ga are you?  

Not far from Columbus.

Matter of fact, I might wanna test drive your mill too, if that's OK. I've used a couple, an older Woodmizer early90's, & one similar to a Hudson but I'm not sure of the brand. The fella who own the WM didn't maintain it at all, including leaving it out in the weather without so much as a cover. I made a few wavy boards.

The manual push I used was OK & seem to cut true. I actually could "feel" tension / resistance while cutting, which could be an advantage.

I think I'm leaning more towards the Cooks, but.... still undecided.

Magicman

Welcome cntryby, to the Forestry Forum.  I would suggest actually watching the various sawmills operate before buying.  There is a difference.  I read that you have been looking at used, but I would not quit looking.  There are some dandy used ones out there.  I bought mine used 10 years ago.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cntryby

I've been to several farm expo's and spent days watching the various mills.

I like the Bakers & Timberkings but they seem to be on the higher end of the price scale.

I've kept an eye on our farmers bulletin, craigslist, local papers, E-bay, sawmill exchange, here... & more. What I'm finding is these things seem to hold there value very well. So If I'm gonna pay close to new, I would just as soon buy new & know that it's been maintain properly. However, if the right price on a good used mill comes up then I would not be opposed to it at all!.

LPitt

Welcome cntryby, good to see another Ga boy here. Know what you mean about building a mill. I built mine several years ago and while it was very rewarding it also was a lot of work and took me quite some time. Keep us updated.
Linn Lumber 1900 hyd, Bobcat T190 with grapple ect., Kubota MX 5100, Ford 555E backhoe, Sthil ms460, home made wood splitter, and more projects than I can count.

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. I am about 2 hours east of you. You can come run both of my LT70s and I will sit in the shade and watch. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

millwright

Hi and welcome to FF  I recently upgraded  from an lt30 toan Lt 35 with hydraulics and the difference in labor required is a big factor  I usually work alone so anything to make it easier helps I also looked for a used mill but found out they hold their value so well that I might as well buy new. Good luck in your search.

argyle1

there's usually some mills for sale on "sawmill exchange" as well

brdmkr

Quote from: DanG on July 10, 2011, 01:36:41 PM
Welcome aboard the board board!  Where'bouts in SW Ga are you?  I'm pretty DanG close to there, and always like meeting new folks. :)

I remember several years ago, a new member came in with a first post almost identical to yours, and I responded with just about the same welcome message.  About 3 days later, he was down here sawing on my mill, then about 3 months later, I was up there sawing on his new mill.   Needless to say, we have become good friends along the way. :)  Calls himself Brdmkr, he does.

I resemble that remark!  DanG's memory is pretty good.  Welcome to the forum.  If you would like to test drive a Lucas mill, I would be happy to oblige. 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

WDH

Cntryby,

If you get over near Perry, come and see me and I can you show you a small operation  :D.

BirdMarker,

How is that kiln doing?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Meadows Miller

Gday

Welcome to The Forum Country Boy  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

With Mills theres a fair range to chose from out the from New and Used and different styles and production rates Like Board maker and like most every one else here Im happy with mine  ;)Ill be in GA  in late August With a new 10-30 Lucas If you want me to show you what they are capable off  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

cntryby

Well, I thought I had found a mill. We agreed on a price arranged to meet so I could saw a few boards, I pulled the cash outta the bank, paid a few minor expenses in preparation for a 12 hour round trip to go check it out & make the deal.

Offered to wire earnest money... etc etc. "No need.. if your say your coming it'll be here wait'n for ya."

He lied, waited till the day for me to leave and emailed me he sold it.

Meadows Miller

You gotta love that there is some idiots out there Mate  ??? :) :) :( :( >:( >:(
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Magicman

Quote from: cntryby on July 12, 2011, 07:33:31 PM
He lied, waited till the day for me to leave and emailed me he sold it.
That may not be the only lie that he told you.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!