iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The REST of the Story

Started by Fla._Deadheader, March 21, 2008, 08:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

There is still a concern here, and probably a valid one.  The "Hype" of the 80's where the newspapers were full of articles of impending doom and "contractors" knocked on your door or called your phone every day, has gone away.

You seldom hear of Radon Testing here anymore unless it is in the context of a house sale. That might not be a good thing and, without any better knowledge, I'll reserve judgement.

Most of the documents I've found on Radon are Federal and not region specific.

Jeff

We still have regular PSA commercials here on Radon Gas. I dont know if its because we have more uranium mixed deep in our geology here or what.  I do know that its a leading cause of Lung Cancer in parts of the state.  We had our home tested when we moved in. Acutally my Dad had it don for us. He had his tested and had high concentrations. He wanted to make sure that we didn't. We tested fine by the same testing company.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Lord love a duck, here I go and accuse rayon as a deadly gas.  ::) ::)

It's Radon!!  >:(

Sheesh
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Apparently, it was leaked that the same bureaucrat that dismissed pollutants in the Belledune area, buried the radon report. The area of Belledune has been retested in the last 2 years and has found high lead content. The particular levels are being disputed between independent research and that of government.

A lot of people who should have their water tested have not done so because it costs money and it's a non government testing agency doing the testing. I think there is as much mistrust about legitimacy than cost. We have tested our water here several times over the years through government testing. I tested it about 4 years ago through a private lab and now they call every year to test the water. The fear is arsenic in the well water now. But, I never heard of any local cases. Apparently, arsenic can seep into old wells over time.

My grandparents ate off lead painted dishes and both lived to be 87. One color, orange, in that dish set was radioactive.  ::) Doesn't mean there wasn't a risk there. No body knew back in the 30's when those dishes were made. If they did , nothing was said until the 1980's.  ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Gary_C

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 28, 2008, 04:33:14 AM

:D :D :D :D

I saw that and was going to ask if rayon gas came from burning those old leisure suits, but I recall they were made of polyester and not rayon.   :D :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

ibseeker

f you're interested in fear mongering and I believe it's a valid concern, read Michael Crichton's "State of Fear".
He provides real data that you can investigate and confirm for yourself the validity of his statements. The main point that I recall from the book is the media needed a new twist on an old theme...Fear. Once the cold war ended, they jumped right in with the environmental issues and pushed all the right buttons to generate more newspapers sales.

It's an interesting book and very enlightening.
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

PineNut

There is a very good reason we don't hear much about radon gas now. The radon gas people are now shouting global warming. This too will pass after the truth comes out and we will then be on another trip.

Warbird

Quote from: Gary_C on May 28, 2008, 05:16:24 AM
Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 28, 2008, 04:33:14 AM

:D :D :D :D

I saw that and was going to ask if rayon gas came from burning those old leisure suits, but I recall they were made of polyester and not rayon.   :D :D :D

For a second, I thought you were talking about deadly 'crayon' gas.  I was going to call the family and have them get rid of the nieces and nephews crayons!  ;)

SwampDonkey

It could be, if it left marks on mom's white walls.  ;D :D

submarinesailor

SD,

Have been talking to grandson #1.  Grandma is a little *pithed right now.  The walls are off-white........and multi-colored. :o :o :D :o :D

Bruce

Thank You Sponsors!