iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help me pick a saw

Started by Tinbeers, April 16, 2018, 08:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinbeers

Hello everyone. I have been lurking here for about 2 weeks. Would like some information on some new saws I am looking at. I have a 70's model Stihl 028 with a 20" bar. I have used this saw for many years, my dad bought it new. I replaced the original bar with the 20" one about 15 years ago. It is still running pretty good for an old saw. Problem is, I am getting old and need a smaller saw to work up the tree tops and small stuff on the fence rows and ditch banks.. I cut wood for myself and have about 50 acres with lots of grown up fence rows and ditch banks. I have a list of small saws that a local dealer has for sale. Would yall look at this list and help me decide what would be a good small saw....#1 Dolmer PS 350 old color has 14" bar, #2 Gz 4000 redmax, #3 echo cs370, and #4 echo cs400. Both of the echo's and I think the redmax has 16" bars. I did ask about the echo 310 and he said he was currently out of them. Thanks for any help. He was pushing the echo brand, said he would make a good deal on the redmax and dolmar. Thanks.

DelawhereJoe

Looking at the specs the ps 420 is the same weight as the ps 350 but has more cc and more hp, so unless he was going to give you a really good deal I'd pass on the ps 350. I think Home Depot has the Makita version of the Dolmar 42cc saw for $370. The Echo's will be cheaper but possibly made with a plastic case, I don't really know of the Red Max 400 looks like its a homeowner saw but the 4000 is listed as a pro saw. I'd say get the best saw you can afford. If you can or want to afford a pro saw it could last the rest of you life,  as pro saws are made to be rebuilt.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Tinbeers

He said he would give me a good deal on the dolmar, they were close outs and the new ones would be blue and say makita. I do believe he said 200 on the dolmar.

DelawhereJoe

For $200 I would have walked out the door with it, the echo 310 is about that price a few less cc's, the echo cs 352 is about $250. How big of stuff are you cutting with it ? I have a stihl ms 180 that runs about the same 2hp as that Dolmar and its a good cutting little saw, providing I keep it in small wood say 2 - 6", after that I pickup a bigger saw. In a pinch it will cut a full bar but its slow even running the narrow kurf 3/8 p .043 chain.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Tinbeers

I will be cutting small stuff, no bigger than 6". I have the 028 for big stuff. Saw today that the local sthil dealer has ms 170 for 159.99. I have heard that the small sthil saws were junk but have no first hand experience.

Woodcutter_Mo

For the price, the ms170's are actually pretty good saws for what they are. They have their quirks but for cutting small dia stuff they do great and are plenty light. 
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

TKehl

I have 3 MS170's.  Good saws for the money IMHO.  I got all mine used for about $100 each.  I changed out the bar to put on a more aggressive chain and as long as I keep it sharp, they fast enough in small stuff.  I won't check fence without one (or two).   ;)

Only frustration is if you take it to the dealer, a repair is almost the same price as a new 170.  The same repair bill looks better if it's for a $3-400 saw somehow.   ::)  :D  Learning to do my own repairs now.   8)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

knuckledragger

I have two ms170s, the first one I acquired in '02 and it still runs superbly. Outstanding saws both of them. Just keep in mind proper mix ratio with no ethanol 89minimum fuel. Keep the little guy blown out with compressed air after a good days use. Ms170 will last the rest of your life.

Tinbeers

Guess I should go and look at the ms170. I have never owned any small engine that you couldn't adjust the carburetor on. Do you have any problems with the carbs? If you find a used saw around here it will be junk.

Fishnuts2

I'd stick with the saws you first listed, especially the Dolmar or Echo CS-400.  More power, smoother, and easy to start.  Plus, repairs are not a kings ransom.
Just my opinion of course, but I've had all the saws mentioned, and these are my favorites.

Thank You Sponsors!