iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Selling small quantity overseas.

Started by Cedarman, November 15, 2009, 09:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedarman

I have a customer in Greece that wants to buy about 30 pounds of wood.  Looking at about $40 bucks for the wood plus shipping.  We do not take credit cards.  What is the most efficient way of getting paid?  I want the funds before shipping. Thanks for any help.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Fla._Deadheader

Guy in Waldo, Fl. (Tom's Cypress) has overseas accounts. He has a separate Bank account, and has the funds wired into it. Then, he transfers to another account, then ships. No way for the customer to rescind the payment.

Guy is very honest, so, customers never get taken.

Only way I would do it, also.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Reddog

Wire transfer, but make sure all of the fees are taken care of.
Everyone that touches it charges a fee.

The easiest and quickest way we have found is Credit card on small $ amounts.

sawdust

You might have them send you a bank draft in US dollars. Have your bank verify it before you ship.
dc
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Papa1stuff

1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

jim king

As said get all your costs together because there are many.  I recently sent 5 salad bowls to a customer in Eau Claire,  WI and it cost me $110 by DHL.  If I would have sent a small shipment by ocean it probably would have got lost in customs entering the States.  Most ocean freight companies do not want anything less than a 20 foot container.

You will need a comercial invoice, certificate of origen, sanitary certificate etc. to be safe, this will be one cost.   I would assume the freight by air would be easily $150 , just call DHL and ask.  They take care of some of the paper work but not all.

When the banks cannot get it done which is quite often good old Western Union will have the money in the office nearest to you 5 minetes after it is deposited by your customer from anywhere in the world.  People are told by the banks that money sent to another country will be in the persons account in a day or two.  It simply is not true.  I think the people working in the banks actually beleive what they are telling people.

Patty

Western Union works great, but as mentioned above, be sure to have your totals done correctly ahead of time. Same goes for wire transfers. We do what Harold's friend does, in having a separate bank account for int'l wires. PayPal works also, but can be rescinded by the buyer. Int'l credit cards can be rescinded as well, with no way for your to go back and get your funds.

So, for your complete safety, wire transfers or Western Union can't be beat. As always....cash is king!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

ellmoe

Western Union or Moneygram. Not too expensive and very quick.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

amberwood

find a friend with either a visa machine or paypay accountand cut them in for 5% hassle money. everyone wins. I have both and probably could n0t get by with out the wireless credit card terminal. Instant payment and it does not rely on how much cash the potential purchaser has in their pocket.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Thank You Sponsors!